Who are the "Names" in the arts?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Brains... brains.

Sorry... this thread is so old, I thought I was a zombie.

Regarding martial arts, I don't think I'd recognize most of the guys you all mention if I didn't hear them from you on these forums, including Jhoon Rhee and Bill Wallace.

Guys I think are pretty famous are Gina Carano, Randy Couture and Royce Gracie. Within the BJJ community there are many, but outside, I don't know... but I'd say that the UFC and MMA in general has elevated many martial artists to international fame.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Brains... brains. Sorry... this thread is so old, I thought I was a zombie.Regarding martial arts, I don't think I'd recognize most of the guys you all mention if I didn't hear them from you on these forums, including Jhoon Rhee and Bill Wallace.

:jaw-dropping:

Guys I think are pretty famous are Gina Carano, Randy Couture and Royce Gracie. Within the BJJ community there are many, but outside, I don't know... but I'd say that the UFC and MMA in general has elevated many martial artists to international fame.

Oh...now I understand.....your a young person :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DOH! Wow, that's really bad. Electro-shock therapy for me!

It's called Electroconvulsive Therapy these days. And it actually makes your memory worse, not better. You probably knew that, but the therapy made you forget.

I started to suggest that a better therapy would be getting kicked in the head by Superfoot, but that would be too much fun to call it punishment. :)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was doing some thinking a few minutes ago, and I got to wondering, who are the 'names' in the arts? Living I mean. Is there anyone who is so big that their name is reconized by the average person as being a competent martial artist?

No.

If you're asking about the average person, who isn't a martial artist, then absolutely not. The MA movie stars mentioned in the thread so far wouldn't be recognized by people as anything but actors and then they'd have to read the credits to find out their name, I think. Chuck Norris may be an exception but that's only a possibility. I think the rest wouldn't have much if any name recognition among "normal" folks.

Pax,

Chris

Bill Shaw

White Belt
Reaction score
Let's see the original question was: :Is there anyone who is so big that their name is recognized by the average person as being a competent martial artist?" Since the criteria is "Average PERSON" and not "Average Martial Artist" that would, I believe, narrow it down to the top Martial Arts Movie Stars.

What I think you really want to know, is the highest Q-Score for a martial artist and how that compares to other famous people. The Q-Score rates how recognizable a person (actors, sports stars, celebrities, etc.), a title, a product, or a brand name is. See http://www.qscores.com/Web/Index.aspx

Hope this helps,

Bill

Latest Discussions