Head Instructor Background

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This post raised a point that I would like the Martialtalk community to discuss.

Simply, how much experience do you think an instructor needs before he/she goes out and opens a school? Does it matter if it's a commercial or club?

Is assisting another instructor for a number of years the best way? How many years?

When looking for a school, if the head instructor only has 1 or 2 years of experience as a head instructor would you walk out the door? How many years of assisting would keep you in the place?

If everyone avoids 'new' instructors, how do they become 'old' instructors?

I do want to add a controlling factor to the discussion. The person teaching is competent in that art. Someone who is incompetant, no matter how many years of teaching, should be avoided. We can all agree on this, I hope.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkn75
This post raised a point that I would like the Martialtalk community to discuss.

Simply, how much experience do you think an instructor needs before he/she goes out and opens a school? Does it matter if it's a commercial or club?

Being able to teach and owning/running a school are 2 VERY different things. I have been a teacher for many years, but I have no experience running a school, but I have seen what my Insts. have to do to keep the place running. In addition to knowing the material, you also know how to run the business, and there is more to that than most people probably think.

Is assisting another instructor for a number of years the best way? How many years?

I have to laugh when I hear this. There is nothing wrong with assisting the Inst. but the key word here is ASSISTING! You need to make sure that you are getting your own time for learning. I got myself into the path, where I was doing more teaching and less learning. Sure you learn when you teach, but you still need time to work on your advanced material. Eventually I got to the point where I was losing interest due to teaching so much. I'm happy to say now that I am a student again and I can concentrate on my own learning. I still help when needed, but its not as much as before.

When looking for a school, if the head instructor only has 1 or 2 years of experience as a head instructor would you walk out the door? How many years of assisting would keep you in the place?

I'll answer each question seperately. Would I walk out the door? Not sure. I would definately spend some time talking to the Inst. and watching some classes, and talking to some of the students. To answer the 2nd part, again, refer to the above comment. Again, keep in mind, whos school is it? yours or someone elses? If its not my school and I'm not getting any of the profits, why should I be doing all the work?

Again, everybody is unique in their own way. I dont think that anyone can sit there and decide for you, its something that you must do on your own.

I do want to add a controlling factor to the discussion. The person teaching is competent in that art. Someone who is incompetant, no matter how many years of teaching, should be avoided. We can all agree on this, I hope.

Some people are better teachers, some are better at kata, some at SD, etc. Again, find the person that best meets your needs.

Mike

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in Kenpo, I believe you're supposed to be a 3rd degree black belt before you're running a studio by yourself.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Nightingale
in Kenpo, I believe you're supposed to be a 3rd degree black belt before you're running a studio by yourself.
That is not really true. Denis Conatser was a brown belt. I believe Brother John was also. Bill Smith was also a brown belt. Does this make them less than qualified to teach? That depends on the individual, what is impacted is their ability to promote. I have wanted my own school as long as I could remember, I waited until I was a third black and over 30. The reason being? I felt that people would take me more seriously if I had the age to go with the rank. I was offered a school by my former instructor when I was 27 years old and a second black. I turned him down for a myriad of reasons, it turned out to be a good choice. As Mr. Parker used to say, "Just because the red shows doesn't mean you know." Like someone else said, teaching and running a school are two different animals. Running a school takes a lot of time and energy and seriously impacts your teaching time. It's a hard fine line to walk.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have met people that were only in MA for 3 to 4 years and then know every kata and every command jap and korean. Some are more dedicated and have a nac for the arts than others. So I judge by skill, not time spent.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by DeLamar.J
I have met people that were only in MA for 3 to 4 years and then know every kata and every command jap and korean. Some are more dedicated and have a nac for the arts than others. So I judge by skill, not time spent.

I totally agree. Anyways, if I had to move and join another school, I would look at the fact that if they can teach, how they teach and what they teach. Anybody can be a really good 2nd, 3rd, ect dan, but can they teach? You can be a 9th dan, but if you are a crappy teacher, I'll go elsewhere. Rank isn't important. But teaching (the skill itself) is important.

R

Reprobate

Although it relies on the art in question, I think an instructor should've passed at least nidan or equivalent before attempting to open a school of his own. With this I mean opening a dojo or equivalent of his own. The same space could be shared with other instructors of different MAs - in Amsterdam, where space is expensive, a local TKD group rented 'hours' in our aikido dojo. We currently rent a classroom in a former school building that is occasionally used for parties [and requires us to take down all the dojo paraphernalia]. I don't know what you mean by club, but if that means you teach for free, you can be less experienced. In a sense that would be an excellent start for a career as a professional MA instructor.

Depends on the type of assisting and whether the head instructor is grooming you into teaching classes on your own. My own instructor has indicated to me that I have a didactic 'gift' [his words] and I'm often asked to assist both him and other instructors at our school.

I don't think I would count the years. It depends on the art - some arts have more instructors than others - and on his confidence in teaching, the general atmosphere in the dojo. Also, while I study under a high-ranking instructor, most people abroad [England/Ireland] study under instructors that have my skill level and are supervised by my instructor. So, they teach what they know, and a couple of times a year my instructor flies over to their dojo to instruct a seminar.
Of course, this is in a rare art. I guess in an ubiquitous art like aikido or TKD, there are more instructors available to choose from...

By hanging on, I guess. And slowly generating a loyal student body.

I understand and agree, but I want to add that by looking for a competent instructor, one might want to forego deciding on rank alone, and check out the skill level regardless of rank.

Latest Discussions