Who are the "Names" in the arts?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was doing some thinking a few minutes ago, and I got to wondering, who are the 'names' in the arts? Living I mean. Is there anyone who is so big that their name is reconized by the average person as being a competent martial artist?

Just wonderin outloud. :)

K

KenpoMatt

That's a good question. But, what do you mean by competent? Joe Moviegoer would definitely recognize the names Steven Segal, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, etc. All of them are certainly competent martial artists to say the least. But I don't know that I'd equate them with an Ed Parker, Wally Jay, Remy Presas, etc. I don't know of anyone on that level who is recognized as a household name. I'm curious to see how the list goes.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having seen Jackie Chan in action and done some heavy studying on his background, I would deffinatly put him in the list with any top martial artists, including the Ed Parker, Bruce Lee list.

7sm

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two general categories:

Mainstream society's names...invariably movie names: Seagal, Chan, Norris, Lee, Li, Speakman (whatever happened to him?), Van Damme, etc....

Then OUR community's names: Presas, Inosanto, Gaje, Hee Il Cho, Ed Parker, Henry Cho, Bong Soo Han, Hidy Ochiai, Ueshiba, Kano, Suwanda....

You can divide them into a lot of different categories. Dead, or alive? That's a big one. Author? Apostle of an art? Innovator? Current or past? Big name of which country? Of which art?

Steve

C

clapping_tiger

The only One name (living person of course) I could think of that everyone knows, and was a "competent" martial artist would be Chuck Norris. Everyone knows him, he is in movies, TV, Infomercials, and won several world tittles agains some of the best fighers of his time, Steve (Sanders)Muhamad (Spelling??) is one that comes to mind. His name is even used by "common folk". Like them saying ' hey I'm no Chuck Norris'

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardheadjarhead
Two general categories:

Mainstream society's names...invariably movie names: Seagal, Chan, Norris, Lee, Li, Speakman (whatever happened to him?), Van Damme, etc....

Then OUR community's names: Presas, Inosanto, Gaje, Hee Il Cho, Ed Parker, Henry Cho, Bong Soo Han, Hidy Ochiai, Ueshiba, Kano, Suwanda....

You can divide them into a lot of different categories. Dead, or alive? That's a big one. Author? Apostle of an art? Innovator? Current or past? Big name of which country? Of which art?

Steve

That's the way I look at it too, but I think that one name is a true household name in both entertainment and in true skill. Bruce Lee. 80 year old women to 4 year old children know this name and associate it with martial arts.

C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by OULobo
That's the way I look at it too, but I think that one name is a true household name in both entertainment and in true skill. Bruce Lee. 80 year old women to 4 year old children know this name and associate it with martial arts.

I agree also, on the point of Bruce Lee, but the question was what "living" martial artist.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree also, on the point of Bruce Lee, but the question was what "living" martial artist
Well, I guess that depends on whether or not you consider cryogenically frozen somewhere in a secret lab in Florida as living:D

I know several non-MA folks who know who Speakman is but not many. Seagal, Norris, Li and Chan seem to be the ones that stand out to most folks that aren't into our particular lifestyle.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by clapping_tiger
I agree also, on the point of Bruce Lee, but the question was what "living" martial artist.

Ooops. Then I would say that Chuck or the general name Gracie would be the winners. Within the MA community I have to say Dan is the man.

I

IMAA

Within the obvious realm you have: Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Bruce Lee, Samo Hyung(sp), Wesley Snipes, Van Damme, Cynthia Rothrock, Steven Segal, Bolo Young, Marc Dacascos, Jeff Speakman (where Did he go?) anyway those are the Movie/TV names. Im sure I left out others.

But other names to be recognized: Bill Wallace, Dan Inosanto, Remy Presas, Leo T. Gaje, Suwanda, Ed Parker, Gracies, Tito Ortiz, Shamrock bros., Edgar Sulite, De Thouar bros., Ajarn Chai Sirisuite, Vu, Dog Bros, Burton Richardson, Bustillo, Angel Cabalas, Floro VIllabraille, Cacoy/Mamoy Canete, Taky Kimura, James Lee, Ueshiba, Femuro Demura, Ben Largusa, Tortals, Sayoc, Kathy Long, and the list goes on and on

just some that was off the top of my head

hahha

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Helio Gracie
Carlson Gracie Sr.
Carlson Gracie Jr.
Carlos "Carlinhos" Gracie Jr.
Carley Gracie
Cesar Gracie
Charles Gracie
Crolin Gracie
Crosley Gracie
Ralek Gracie
Relson Gracie
Rener Gracie
Rerykson Gracie
Reylson Gracie
Reyson Gracie
Rorion Gracie
Rickson Gracie
Rillion Gracie
Robin Gracie
Robson Gracie
Rocian Gracie Sr.
Rocian Gracie Jr.
Rockson Gracie
Rodrigo Gracie
Roger Gracie
Rolker Gracie
Royler Gracie
Royce Gracie
Renzo Gracie
Ralph Gracie
Rolles Gracie
Rosaro Gracie
Ryan Gracie
Ryron Gracie
Rigan Machado
Jean Jacques Machado
Carlos Machado
Roger Machado

Would you like more? I did not include them all.

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does Tony Jaa Count? He seems to be gaining a lot of popularity as a champion muay thai fighter and now movie star.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Helio Gracie
Carlson Gracie Sr.
Carlson Gracie Jr.
Carlos "Carlinhos" Gracie Jr.
Carley Gracie
Cesar Gracie
Charles Gracie
Crolin Gracie
Crosley Gracie
Ralek Gracie
Relson Gracie
Rener Gracie
Rerykson Gracie
Reylson Gracie
Reyson Gracie
Rorion Gracie
Rickson Gracie
Rillion Gracie
Robin Gracie
Robson Gracie
Rocian Gracie Sr.
Rocian Gracie Jr.
Rockson Gracie
Rodrigo Gracie
Roger Gracie
Rolker Gracie
Royler Gracie
Royce Gracie
Renzo Gracie
Ralph Gracie
Rolles Gracie
Rosaro Gracie
Ryan Gracie
Ryron Gracie
Rigan Machado
Jean Jacques Machado
Carlos Machado
Roger Machado

Would you like more? I did not include them all.[/QUOTE]

For myself, no. Unless you left out anyone with the last name of Gracie. ;-)

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Jhoon Goo Rhee. He is not known like a Chuch Norris or Jackie Chan, but I think a lot of people still recognize the name.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a serious necro-thread. KenLee25, you're resurrecting a nearly 10 year old thread!

However...

Joe Lewis
Jhoon Rhee
Chuck Norris
Bill "Bigfoot" Wallace

Latest Discussions