Where do/did you train

In what type of setting did/do you train?

• In a commercial school

• In a non-commercial school (YMCA, Recreation Dept, Church, College Club, etc.).

• In both commercial and non-commercial classes.

• In a home, garage, outdoor setting, or backyard.

• In both a home and commercial location.

• In both a home and non-commercial setting.

• Privately in my home or my instructors home.

• In all settings, commercial, non-commercial, homes, garages, outdoors.

• Self taught with the assistance of books and video.

• In the Shaolin Temple.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started training when I went to university at the university's only gung fu club. As I was living on campus it was very convenient.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started in Aikido at a gym twice a week -

then met in a park on Saturdays doing a "blended" art of many systems

when that instructor moved, I did the same with someone new - I was convinced that a commercial school wasn't for me.

Went to see a Kung Fu San Soo class at a small studio 15 miles from me, and I have been there for 3 years.

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
I have to thank my father for a lot of the skills I've retained for all the sports I've done--informal teaching. I've always had very good balance. When I was a baby, I used to balance standing on both of his palms up over his head, then both my little kid's feet on one palm. He taught me nunchukas when I was about 6 years old. I remember just catching it, and catching it, until I could go from one hand to the other. We used to throw knives at targets, and he taught me some wilderness survival, how to escape a headlock, how to parry a punch, and the front snap kick before I was 8 years old.

He enrolled me in a karate school for a year when I was about 9, but I got sick of it.

I took Middle School and HS wrestingly (2 years). At the same time I started TKD at our company health club. The TKD changed my whole life--then we moved to my teacher's commercial school when he started one (didn't last long).

Then I took Praying Mantis Kung Fu at a commecial school, along with a little Tai Chi. Didn't stick.

I took Aikido at a very nice commercial school, then at the Y, then in college at another Y-type place (gyms on the university campus).

After all that nonsense, I tried training by DVD (To-Shin Do). I asked my girlfriend's brother to help me train. He has 5 years experience in Vunak's RAT system. We still meet in the park, but we've dropped the To Shin Do, and focus on RAT, Fillipino stick fighting, and BJJ. At the same time, I did Western Boxing at my gym with an Olympic boxer (bronze 1988). Out of all of what I've mentioned, I enjoy working with my "brother in law" in the park the most. We can do whatever we want, when we want, as long and hard as we want. And it's out in the fresh Australian air--how do you beat that?!

I lift at a gym twice a week, and most recently go to BJJ twice a week and one MMA class all at Ground Zero Gracie JJ club in Melbourne. I love it! Very hot, sweaty, stinky, and macho. When I walk out of there, it's like my clothes have been soaked in water. I learn something every class, and the people, underneath the BS machisimo, are very encouraging and fun. I still manage to go to the park to work on RAT, but now it's only about once every 3 weeks, miss it! (Only so much time in a week for playing!)

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started in the dojo and will continue in the dojo. I also train in the backyard and in my basement. I hope to get my friend in it so I will have a partner to train with.

B

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Started training Hung Lung Pa'i Kung Fu at a local rec center $2.00 a class. Moved onto Kajukenbo about 2 yrs later and we trained in a 2 car garage, for a while we had carpet down until Sijo made us take it out (too soft he said), also trained in an abandoned wooden shack for a while, in San Jose I remember training in an old barn with Sigung Raza Ali from time to time when I would visit his crew. Outdoors off and on but more on than off lately. Its been a bit of everything but never been spoiled with the luxuries of a fancy school... No regrets... Wouldnt change it for the world.

:ultracool

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
My training started in 1969 at the ymca ueichi-ryu, at the time I was 15. When that instructor left about a year later I worked out on my own forgeting my forms...Though I only had 2...I did however continue basics...I hooked up with a couple of guys during my jr/sr year...nothing formal just banging bodies....73 found me at USSD, then it became FVSSD then Masters, then USKK...I left there Dec 06...built out a dojo in a barn on my property have been training there with a another 6th and a 5th....We do that twice a week, twice a week I train 2 to 3 other people.....I'm trying to get the local PD interested in something for Friday nights...but my wife thinks I should spend time her...go figure!! Just kidding that's date night!!! Like the rest of you have supplimented my training all these years at home....
I did something I thought was pretty cool...I took 6X6 5-6' long and buried them in the ground in a pentagon shape with one in the middle...basically at different heights...approx. 30" apart...they're about 3' out of the ground on a slight hill so the front ones might be 4-5' above the ground....I do most my basics while standing on them walking post to post utilizing different stances...works pretty good at balance development etc.....I'll try and get a picture to give a better idea.....day's starting gotta go to work...enjoy the day!
Jeff,

Latest Discussions