Where do/did you train

In what type of setting did/do you train?

• In a commercial school

• In a non-commercial school (YMCA, Recreation Dept, Church, College Club, etc.).

• In both commercial and non-commercial classes.

• In a home, garage, outdoor setting, or backyard.

• In both a home and commercial location.

• In both a home and non-commercial setting.

• Privately in my home or my instructors home.

• In all settings, commercial, non-commercial, homes, garages, outdoors.

• Self taught with the assistance of books and video.

• In the Shaolin Temple.

Results are only viewable after voting.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started my training in an abandoned room at a YMCA before joining a commercial school.
I have since also trained in backyards, basements, a church, and one day, the prof. started showing me moves in a restaurant! we got some pretty strange looks!!

S

Senfeng

Originally posted by akja
No doubt we will! How about Andres? Is he still there?
Yeah. He's started to instruct some of the drills. He's really good.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rats,
I can't vote for more than one. :( .......I started out in a garage with my first instructor. Eventually we moved into a building. Now currently training with another individual and in a building.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by LostGrrlDies
No contracts. Yet, they always expect you to be there, like your mother expects you to clean your room.

Thats how it is where I train as well... Its like a job, if you are not going to show up for training you are expected give advance notice if you can or to call in and let them know you will not be there.

L

LostGrrlDies

Originally posted by Technopunk
Thats how it is where I train as well... Its like a job, if you are not going to show up for training you are expected give advance notice if you can or to call in and let them know you will not be there.

the amusing part is there is no phone : )
so you cant call.

class is held 3 times a week, but my work schedule only allows me me to attend twice a week. however i made plans (starting the end of this month) to work (pseudo)part-time and rearrange my work schedule just so i can be there all three days. by far this is the best (and i hate to use this word) "hobby" i have ever had in my life. I dont really look at it as a hobby because i think it is something that will be a part of me for the rest of my life. my car is a hobby. this is something a little more. i have wanted to do (specifically) TaeKwonDo since I was 13. This is the first chance i have really ever gotten to do it. I'm all geeky girl gung-ho, 'bout-it 'bout-it, he-he-he. yeah, im a dork. and im sure a few of you are rolling your eyes right now. but thats ok :p
:cough:cough:will:cough:cough:

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another question to apply to this thread is "How far is the farthest you have had to drive to go to a regular training session?"

The school I attend most regularly is about 50 min. from my place. Right now my fiance and a friend carpool, so the cost on gas gets reduced.

L

LostGrrlDies

no traffic (which is never) 25 minutes

with traffic (which is always) 35 minutes

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Senfeng
Yeah. He's started to instruct some of the drills. He's really good.

Yea, he must be comin' around pretty good. Do you know if he still goes to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

J

jeffkyle

Thats a long ride! How often?

Like i said...not very regular...I shoot for once every week, but usually it doesn't end up like that! :(

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle
Like i said...not very regular...I shoot for once every week, but usually it doesn't end up like that! :(

Considering you drive. If you made it once a week, that would be excellent.

:asian:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my day I used to walk 45 miles uphill to class both ways in the snow with no shoes...

No seriously, my furthest travel was 1 hour drive to the Dojo 2 times a week. Im only like 25 minutes from the current one.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Technopunk
In my day I used to walk 45 miles uphill to class both ways in the snow with no shoes...

No seriously, my furthest travel was 1 hour drive to the Dojo 2 times a week. Im only like 25 minutes from the current one.

I feel lucky to have so many options available to me. I live in an area where we have dojangs and dojos up the ying yang. Within a short distance we have TKD, Karate (all types), BJJ, Tai Chi, Ninjuitsu, etc., etc., schools near my home. I guess living in a densely populated metro/suburban area has its good MA benefits. My dojang is only a few blocks away from my home.

S

Senfeng

Yea, he must be comin' around pretty good. Do you know if he still goes to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
I think he dropped the BJJ to devote more time to gung fu. From what I understand it was a bit of a trek to get there (not 4 hours, though).

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I chose the 'all settings' option. When I first started out, we used a room that was primarily used for the aerobics room of a racquetball club. From there, we moved to a place that was like a big warehouse- we had to work around the huge indoor pillars but we had lots and lots of room- the instructor also lived there, so the upstairs was his "house". The floor was rather hard as it was just a thin carpet over cement. I was then in a dojo that was more commercial I guess in that it looked like a dojo- had mirrors, nice wooden floors, hanging punching bags, etc. From there, I was outdoors for awhile at a park and then back to a bigger commercial school (now my home school). I also did Arnis out of someone's garage and backyard, another racquetball club aerobics room and the place where I work out when I am not up at my home school now is in a garage and driveway.

:asian: :karate:

S

sifu nick

I train at a commercial type school and couldn't be happier with it. I've trained there for years and now teach classes on a daily basis.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trained in a dedicated facility for a while, now I train with the same group in a nondedicated facility. The dedicated facility allowed me to train more often, however, the newer facility feels more like a family atmosphere.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I trained in a commercial school, that wasn't too commercial. the instructor paid most of the rent each month out of his own pocket. We also had studied groups taht met either atthe chool in off hours or at someones home. At Brown belt I was enrouraged to offer classes at a YMCA in the next town.

Latest Discussions