Laws to prevent sex offenders from opening karate schools?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got this, meant to post it.
Thoughts?
MEDIA ALERT_Chairman of Hall of Fame to speak before the Erie County Legislature Public Safety Committee

For Immediate Release

MEDIA ALERT

Chairman of Hall of Fame to speak before the Erie County Legislature (New York) to Gain Support in Prohibiting Sex Offenders from Owning and Teaching in Martial Arts Schools.

Who: A.J. VEREL, Chairman

Martial Arts / MMA Hall of Fame

What: A.J. VEREL, Chairman for the Int’l Martial Arts Hall of Fame, which is Chartered by the NYS Department of Education has introduced a Bill Proposal to the NYS Assembly and Senate that would close a loophole that would prohibit sex offenders from owning schools or teaching martial arts to children in New York State. This Bill Proposal also would establish a committee to promulgate rules for the industry and place safeguards in place for the protection against head injuries.

Where: Erie County Legislature (Public Safety Committee)

When: Thursday January 31[SUP]st[/SUP]

Time: 10:00 am

Type: Bill Proposal_Support Resolution
A.J. Verel may be reached at [email protected]

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is a round-about way of admitting to the fact that you either can't (1) rehabilitate a sex offender or (2) the current punishment(s) for said offense is/are inadequate.

It's a fact that sex-offenders have the highest rate of repeat offenses and many are routinely in and out of jail.

Not that I oppose such a move, but instead of wasting my tax dollers creating legislation to prevent them from owning a business shouldn't they instead use our resources to keep them off the streets in the first place?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is a round-about way of admitting to the fact that you either can't (1) rehabilitate a sex offender or (2) the current punishment(s) for said offense is/are inadequate.

It's a fact that sex-offenders have the highest rate of repeat offenses and many are routinely in and out of jail.

Not that I oppose such a move, but instead of wasting my tax dollers creating legislation to prevent them from owning a business shouldn't they instead use our resources to keep them off the streets in the first place?

I agree with all the above, and would add why limit only their teaching to children? Don't let them teach, in fact, don't let them near a MA school. Most states do that already in regard to public schools, which may be why they aren't looking at CanuckMA's suggestion.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
uh...isn't that already covered under current legislation?
It should go without saying, really.

I would like to know what prompted the bill.

Latest Discussions