When Would You Fight/Defend Yourself?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There've been a few threads on here about self defense and things of that nature, however, I wanted to hear from some of our Kenpo/Kempo/Kaju members on this subject.

What type of situation would make you engage and fight with someone?

What are your thoughts on talking your way out of a situation vs. defending yourself right away, even if a weapon was present?

So, in other words, a hypathetical situation....you're at the ATM, someone comes up, holding a knife, and demands money from you. Do you hand it over and then hope that the badguy leaves? Do you hand it over and only if the badguy makes a move towards you or another demand, then you act? Do you cherish your belongings and will do what you can to defend yourself?

This was just one example to help get the ball rolling. :)

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There've been a few threads on here about self defense and things of that nature, however, I wanted to hear from some of our Kenpo/Kempo/Kaju members on this subject.

What type of situation would make you engage and fight with someone?

What are your thoughts on talking your way out of a situation vs. defending yourself right away, even if a weapon was present?

So, in other words, a hypathetical situation....you're at the ATM, someone comes up, holding a knife, and demands money from you. Do you hand it over and then hope that the badguy leaves? Do you hand it over and only if the badguy makes a move towards you or another demand, then you act? Do you cherish your belongings and will do what you can to defend yourself?

This was just one example to help get the ball rolling. :)

Is it my beer money? That's going to make a big difference.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sure, its Friday night, you finished a long work week, and wanna kick back a few, so you take out some extra $$$ at the ATM. :)

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any time I feel that someone means me harm (or someone I'm with) then it's on like Donkey Kong.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
These days, probably only to defend somebody with me who's not able to escape.

I don't see much purpose in fighting somebody when I can run, and I can outrun most bad guys. On the other hand, my 8 year old can't outrun a grown man, nor can my mother or grandparents. One of my best friends has limited mobility in his right leg.

I'd take somebody on to give them time to run, but otherwise I'd have to be cornered.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score

Alright, the line has to be drawn somewhere! You DO NOT mess with a mans beer money!

I am tired of people saying run or give up your stuff. But it would depend on the situation, are my wife and kid with me, will my actions hurt someone innocent? If I can answer no to these, then it's go time.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I've already talked myself out of a situation where a knife was on me ... everyone walked away without as much as a punch being thrown. The ultimate goal in any situation such as this is to survive. One thing I believe in is, there are winners and losers in sporting events, there are survivors in life situations. Survive the situation any way possible, if that means fighting, then so be it ... you'll most likely then need to win in court.

Make no mistake, I will do what is necessary in the given situation and deal with the courts afterwards, if needed. My attitude is this, I don't look like a victim and from some of the pics I've seen of some on this forum, neither do you. Criminals are looking for the easiest target, I don't project myself as one, if they come at me, they mean business and therefore, so do I. No submissions, no patty cake, if we go, we go ... I'll deal with the law later, survive, it's me or you ... guess who I'm rooting for.

... just my two cents

Spacedcrane

White Belt
Reaction score
If they have a weapon, then I'm not gonna screw around and toy with them. Because they are basically threatening my life at that point. If they are unarmed, I'll throw a quick front snap kick to the groin, back up and wait. If they want to proceed after that, then I'll consider that they still have the intent for harm. In which case, I'll stop playing around and end them.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have always been a protector I guess, If i saw someone as early as elementary and middle scholl being bullied I stuck my nose where i did not need to. just my nature. Now later on when threats arrived and it was just me I would usually laugh and talk my way out of it. It has always seemed for me that when there is someone else that I may have to watch out for I become more aggressive. I guess I never really worried about myself because of my internal thoughts that I would make it out no matter what, but I dont know about my friend so i would have to be there.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would, yes. When either myself or my loved ones were in danger of assault.

There was one occassion, many years ago, when I was in a pub sat in the corner with a mate, and my back to a group of lads and their girlfriends. I was 18, and they were the year below me at high school.

A guy with downs syndrome who was well known locally was in the pub, and had with him a pink, inflatable guitar. I'm not making this up by the way. He was pretending to play said guitar and making all sorts of guitar noises as he did so. I was only made aware of this, when a guy in the other group started shouting at me. Again, I was quietly chatting to my mate, who looked at me and said, "that guy over there's shouting at you". This other chappy effectively started accusing me of "laughing at my mate Gary" (the downs guy) which was horse***.

Eventually, this loudmouth would not stop, claiming he was going to "batter me" etc etc. He then made a final mistake. He pointed to his friends down the other end of the pub who looked a right bunch of thugs, and said "I'm gonna get my mates involved in this". These guys were stood by the exit too, so I couldn't run, literally, the exit was blocked. I made an executive decision, after several minutes of trying to appease him, he'd not quietened down, and now the odds were about to get potentially worse. So, I flattened him. He was yap-yap-yapping away, so I shot to my feet, ran round the side of the table he was at, and BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!, hit him round his head and face a few times. I put him on the deck then I nodded to my mate, and we left. Just vanished. Proud of that? Not at all. Did the right thing? I believe so, yes. I had no valid way of knowing whether I'd end up having the bejesus kicked out of me, simply because this sub-human was trying to appear hard in front of his new girlfriend.

Even more unfortunately, this sub-human has now bred, meaning that his genes have been passed into another generation of humanity. Or should that be sub-humanity? *rubs chin, looks thoughtful...*

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've learned to concede and just say "Sorry, my bad" to those running their mouths and trying to escalate a situation (or "problem" as those hot heads say) that really isn't a situation. So far it hasn't failed me.

I imagine if they were really looking for a fight they would of continued on eventually crossing the line from simple s***talking to threats. To me that's a clear definition of something is going to happen.

As far as being robbed with a weapon: If it's a knife or gun then I hope I have the sanity to give them want they want. If it's a stick/bat/broom handle, that's a completely different story ;)

kenpo101

White Belt
Reaction score
i need to ask a the question,
why would someone kick them to the groin and then back up and see if that is enough?
if they are robbing you with a weapon- then kick their ***.
If you run, what if they catch up to you, are you going to run again??
i don't think i ever read anywhere that Grandmaster Ed Parker ran away.

just my thoughts

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i need to ask a the question,
why would someone kick them to the groin and then back up and see if that is enough?
if they are robbing you with a weapon- then kick their ***.
If you run, what if they catch up to you, are you going to run again??
i don't think i ever read anywhere that Grandmaster Ed Parker ran away.

just my thoughts

Yeah, the groin kick is just the opener. If you're going that far, then go all the way.

Spacedcrane

White Belt
Reaction score
If they are unarmed, I'll throw a quick front snap kick to the groin, back up and wait.
If they are armed, that's a completely different situation. Of course I'll disable/end them at that point.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
could of, would of, should of, you don't know until it happens,sorry guys,

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
could of, would of, should of, you don't know until it happens,sorry guys,

Sure. There's always going to be the live element that will determine your particular action at any given moment. I think this question has more to do with what our philosophical outlook is on when we would defend ourselves. Some of us have actually had to defend ourselves, and are also drawing on that. If you don't envision scenarios, then you make it more likely that you will fail when it hits the fan. Police and military have used scenario training for years to develop and hone the reflexes in preparation for the real deal. It works even if it's not the same as the real thing.