NBA: Brawl caught on tape-What would you do?

K

Karazenpo

Many of us have watched that tape over and over and it just backs up what I've always believed about reality fighting. BASICS, BASICS & MORE BASICS. Imho, confirmed by this last caught on tape brawl, it all comes down to speed, power and accuracy. Predominate attack: the typical right hand swings, mixed with a push or two, some grabs. Very simple, nothing complex. If you're going to come out on top then you better hit first, hit hard, hit fast and hit the target.........if you don't hit first then you better either block or preferably move the target-YOU (evade), Basics! Raw strength and explosive power is the key, not much room for anything fancy or slapping the guy around, there's very little time to get the job done. I have always said this and I'll say it again, that's why the old masters of our Hawaiian-derived systems had such 'wicked' reputations as feared street fighers-Basics! Picture yourself in that situation of those people being assaulted and what could you pull off to successfully defend yourself? Not "The Perfect Weapon', not "Walker:Texas Ranger" and not "Enter the Dragon" but "reality"......... I say basics! I have yet to see a caught on tape fight video that looked anything like a martial arts movie, have you? What say you?

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
In a brawl, it all comes back to basics in my opinion. What was the old Karate Kid/Cobra Kai saying? "Strike fast, strike hard, no mercy sir!" :jedi1:

OP
K

Karazenpo

Kenpo5th said:
In a brawl, it all comes back to basics in my opinion. What was the old Karate Kid/Cobra Kai saying? "Strike fast, strike hard, no mercy sir!" :jedi1:

Agreed Shaun! Too many make fighting so complex, yet it's barbarism can't help but make it very simple!

OP

5 hand swords

With the recent pacer-pistons mob melee I am reminded of a player/fan confrontation I saw at a Cubs game at Wrigley Field in 1995 that was a beauty of a M/A Display by Randy Myers (a Brown belt at the time I believe). This Drunk fan sitting by us decides Randy gave up 1 HR to many – hops the fence and charges the Mound, Randy sees him coming at the last few seconds and throws a 3 blow combo driving the fan into the dirt at the base of the mound. Great tape if you get a chance to see it.

OP
M

monkey-a-go-go

I would try to hide behind Butterbean! He was known as the king of the four rounders and was a staple on USA network and ESPN's fight cards. He was a delivery truck driver who got his start in toughman contests and brought the fun back into boxing for alot of people- me! Last I heard of him he was one of the boxers brought into k-1 in japan. I thought I would slip this into this thread instead of the more serious one. Fat people can't be healthy but they can be fit as many pro-athletes demonstrate. For a commercial school instructor though they need to keep it trim lol. Oh yeah basics-Tell 'em its your system's esoteric secret teachings handed down through the ages to ensure a miraculous victory. Usually you wait to give these guarded jewels only to disciples who have proven their worthiness through gruelling training and years of devotion. You have a good feeling about them though and you decided to skip to the important stuff. Not the filler that others teach to keep them around long enough to put your kids through college, pay off ex-wives/husbands, and put a down payment on a bass boat. (I realize there are systems with 50 kata or 700 techs that trying to sincerely perserve the past. But they know whats what.)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Basics, conditioning and awareness/positioning-cause there is always someone jumping in from the side or back side

Todd

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All good posts! I think the only thing you can do is punch/strike/kick your way out of the mob :idunno: . I could be wrong but if your in the middle of it all what else could you do?

On a side note:
These professional athletes are way over paid and should be fined accordingly. They are who our youngsters look up to and they should realize they are role models.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, first off, shut up. THe fans contributed by throwing words and drinks at the enraged players. The players contributed by being absolute morons in this case right back.

From watching it:

DON'T walk onto the court as I saw a few do on video.

DON'T say anything, just move calmly out of the way and get the heck out of dodge.

DON'T stand there and stare at a GIANT with bulging muscles who has his fist cocked and ready to punch you - move out of the way, run. Whatever.

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! There was so much 'moral righteousness' going on it wasn't even funny.

If you have a guy with the strength, fitness and power of a professional athlete trying to hit you and you can't get away - do what you were trained to do and pray for the best and make your goal to get away NOT to take him on!

That whole thing put most hockey brawls to shame. At least on skates so much rooted power is taken away and less damage can be done (I know that it still hurts and there are skate blades....).

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
All good posts! I think the only thing you can do is punch/strike/kick your way out of the mob :idunno: . I could be wrong but if your in the middle of it all what else could you do?

On a side note:
These professional athletes are way over paid and should be fined accordingly. They are who our youngsters look up to and they should realize they are role models.

As I mentioned above the Fans played a roll in this as well, and should be investigated as well for legal actions.

If I am a celebrity, I know people will follow me. I know people will call me names who do not like me. I do not expect to get physically assaulted though.

I think suspentions without pay for those games, fines, and possible legal action is in order.

As to what can you do in a crowd? That depends upon what your goals are. Punching and Kicking are good. You also have body control to place a person into another person to create shields or open up pathways for your movement. You can turn those around you, and or move them, so you can get by.

Just remember you must stay on your feet, so becareful with those kicks, keep them low, and controlled, to move people of stop people. Staying on your feet and being able to move and not get stepped on is important.

Peace Brother JF
:asian:

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
What you saw was ...

Flailing and lots of it. No focus and no intent of doing damage to put someone down.

Althletes in great condition unable to do any real damage outside of fat lips, and broken noses.

You saw people standing around waiting for the other guy to throw a shot, very small window before the shot was thrown but it was there.

Loss of balance in micro seconds and people grounded.

No kicks what so ever, save maybe a stomp or two.

What I would have done...

Secured an area and made sure of my surroundings.

If I was caught in the middle or edge of the battle I would have then decided that I was in extreme danger and proceed to cause damage on ANYONE who tried to stop my escape the from the area.

If I had a child present it would have been escape on all counts with him/her regardless of anyone around me.

Basically it would be escape ... depending on what I had to do to achieve that solution.

now...

This is a perfect example of why your basics must be sound and unwaiverable. It also shows what high stances do and why fights go to the ground. Im not saying low deep training stances but that crap about high boxer type stances needed for the street is the EXACT reason why fights go to the ground more oftne then not. It is on video, it has been proven.

A stable stance that allowed you the power to hit effectively, to damage vulnerable targets and retain your footing amongst the stadium seating and on rush of people would have been mandatory. Again your basics. The footwork of a boxer would never have worked...period.

How about the panic and the mob mentality? What about the security peeling people off each other? So many threats, hmmm.... seems like multi man to me. Its on video people, grappling has its place, mainly in the dojo on the mat or in matches. NOT in a huge melee during a basketball game.

Lots and lots of information in a 2 - 3 minute video. Should watch this and analyse this over and over.

Be safe all.

Mike

OP
K

Karazenpo

An excerpt from Mike's post:

1) Flailing and lots of it. No focus and no intent of doing damage to put someone down.

2) Althletes in great condition unable to do any real damage outside of fat lips, and broken noses.

Mike, I was a little surprised about #2 above. As a matter of fact, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any blood but then again the guy he had on the ground in the stands was out of camera view. However, the heavy set guy wearing a Pistons shirt on the court caught one right on the jaw and it didn't appear to have much of an effect on him even though he stumbled over backwards. My point is, was there no intent on doing damage as you mentioned in #1 or is it they just don't know how to throw a punch effectively for guys that big. I mean, with tempers that out of control, I think they were trying to 'tune' those fans! It doesn't appear they were holding back on the punches, I think that's just the way they fight when they can't throw a total 'sucker' punch. Just my thoughts.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
An excerpt from Mike's post:

1) Flailing and lots of it. No focus and no intent of doing damage to put someone down.

2) Althletes in great condition unable to do any real damage outside of fat lips, and broken noses.

Mike, I was a little surprised about #2 above. As a matter of fact, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any blood but then again the guy he had on the ground in the stands was out of camera view. However, the heavy set guy wearing a Pistons shirt on the court caught one right on the jaw and it didn't appear to have much of an effect on him even though he stumbled over backwards. My point is, was there no intent on doing damage as you mentioned in #1 or is it they just don't know how to throw a punch effectively for guys that big. I mean, with tempers that out of control, I think they were trying to 'tune' those fans! It doesn't appear they were holding back on the punches, I think that's just the way they fight when they can't throw a total 'sucker' punch. Just my thoughts.
Mr. Shuras,

That is exactley my point. You had well conditioned men who could do nothing but "casual" damage. I agree I didnt see anything of blood and what not I was being generous in my assessment.

This is why the "street fighter" is such a dangerous opponent. He has been in many real world confrontations, he has used that "sucker punch" countless times to great effect, he is also used to getting hit by the shots you saw on that video.

Strength and conditioning can only get you so far.

Technique can only get you so far.

Street experience can take you farther than both with no formal training.

Put all three together and that is when you have something special. A trained martial artist in the true sense for today's streets.

My position on "intent to do damage" is not anger. You can be angry as all get out and think you want to "kill" the SOB, but unless you have harnessed that rage before and thrown those shots off you will be lacking.

The Martial Arts are suppossed to give you physical training in technique and fitness as well as mental training of exposing you to known attacks and self-improvement. What you see lacking is the training for experience. The real world conditions. Most people dont even come close to the first part let alone real world conditions. Very few schools actually do, they may think they do, but really they are not.

Basketball players are trained to put balls in baskets, fans are not trained at all (with exceptions).

Us as MArtial Artists should be trained just as elite as a pro Basketball Player in our venue. Fighting (Not Fighting). In fact there may have been a few Martial Artists in that fray, but you never saw them because they used their training to escape. They also wouldnt be throwing things to "pour gas on the fire".

That shot you referenced about the guy taking it right on the face and barely moving, also shows just how acurate you need to be with your shots and using the correct weapon. Again your training does this. I for one am very glad this happend from a reality perspective. It should be a wake up call. It wont though.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also have another point to bring up.

Isnt it amazing how strong the human body is under real world conditions, with anger, fear, adrenaline and booze thrown in the mix.

It is very hard to actually damage the human body under combat conditions. Weapons are needed to be really effective.

Eye gouges, throat crushes, arm breaks all have their spot, but it is very limited. Knockout shots, now that has its place in nearly every encounter. You knockout a man out and fight is over. Here is where the severe damage comes in street encounters also. When a man/woman is knocked out on the ground and beat sensless, they are not reacting, moving, getting hit but not really.

Blocking and evasion isnt about not getting hit period, its about not getting hit effectively. Taking a front two knuckle on the snout and having it break is bad, instinctively drooping your chin and taking that shot on the forehead is better, being aware and blocking that shot is even better, being totaly aware and avoiding that situation is best.

Im rambling now...lol

Be safe.

Mike

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Straight blastin' in a crowd and in the bleachers. Slip the predominant right hand and take the body down (although it is the last place to be in a melee, I train to take down while staying on my feet). Theres no winning that kind of situation.

The first thing I did think of when seeing the melee was what the straight blast gym calls the "crazy monkey." I'll find a clip and post it. They call it fighting, I call it a decent way of covering up and recovering while being overwhelmed or just plain attcked by someone who is faster than myself.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
BallistikMike said:
This is why the "street fighter" is such a dangerous opponent. He has been in many real world confrontations, he has used that "sucker punch" countless times to great effect, he is also used to getting hit by the shots you saw on that video.

What is a streetfighter? ALL the real fights I have seen have resembled this NBA video. Which is beginning to lead me to the conclusion that most people who get in fights in real life look just like this. Probably worse, these were well trained, well conditioned elite professional athletes. Lots of flailing, no real damage to anyone. Self defense trainers will tell you that even well trained martial artists look like this when the adrenaline dump ensues.

I think overall it has less to do with what you have trained than how you have trained. These guys could obviously not access their motor skills under the adrenaline rush of the fight. BASICS are no good if your brain and body cannot access the skills when they are needed.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
KenpoDave said:
What is a streetfighter? ALL the real fights I have seen have resembled this NBA video. Which is beginning to lead me to the conclusion that most people who get in fights in real life look just like this. Probably worse, these were well trained, well conditioned elite professional athletes. Lots of flailing, no real damage to anyone. Self defense trainers will tell you that even well trained martial artists look like this when the adrenaline dump ensues.

I think overall it has less to do with what you have trained than how you have trained. These guys could obviously not access their motor skills under the adrenaline rush of the fight. BASICS are no good if your brain and body cannot access the skills when they are needed.
A "streetfighter", "Bar Brawler", "Ruffian" they all have the same MO. They ambush someone with a sucker punch (haymaker) that knocks them out then proceed to stomp the living >>>> out of them. I just use the term "street fighter" as someone who has quite a bit of fighting experience but no formal training like MA, boxing, wrestling, what have you.

I have been in many fights as well and most are flail fests. I have also seen a local fighter who is a bit of a weekend bar brawler who is tough as nails and has a wicked right hook (Haymaker) clean house with it until I rear choked him to the ground.

I agree it is how you train, not the amount of material you know. It is why a trained boxer is a force to be reckoned with as well as an experienced street fighter.

I was not comparing the flailing to a streetfighter, I was saying this is why a streetfighter excels in a bar brawl for example. BECAUSE most everyone will be flailing, he knows it, counts on it and delivers effective strikes (haymaker) to effective targets (jaw hinge, temple) for knockout shots and then proceeds to pummel the victim. You did not see this on the video. You saw many, many strikes that were thrown hard with anger connect and do nothing. Why? Because the intent wasn't there, the target was wrong for the weapon, booze, adrenaline etc...

It boils down to basics - powerfull strikes that are damaging targets that shut down the body. Otherwise you get flail fests.

This is why I dont by into the endless techniques of some kenpo systems, the many requirements for belt levels, the endless drills and sets. That is a different beast however. Blah :p

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While in the Bar tonight watching the Monday Night football game on teh big screen. I overheard a guy talking about how there were already by close of business Monday 21 suits brought against the Palace for inadequate security. I think this is people trying to get rich or richer off of this.

Personally, I would like to see the instagator(s) charged with insighting a riot and reckless endangerment of the 22,000+ people present at the game. A message needs to be sent to the fans as well that their actions have consequences as well. That people have to take responsibility for those actions.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Personally, I would like to see the instagator(s) charged with insighting a riot and reckless endangerment of the 22,000+ people present at the game. A message needs to be sent to the fans as well that their actions have consequences as well. That people have to take responsibility for those actions.
I agree Rich. People need to be responsible for their actions. Didn't the police use video tape to convict people of similar crimes during the riots in LA?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
While in the Bar tonight watching the Monday Night football game on teh big screen. I overheard a guy talking about how there were already by close of business Monday 21 suits brought against the Palace for inadequate security. I think this is people trying to get rich or richer off of this.

Ahh...the typical phrase by intoxicated and just in general stupid people. My question is, why can't people take responsibility for their own actions? Instead, they act like total A-holes, and expect the cops/security to go to their defense. "I got hurt cuz there wasn't enough security!" Ummmm...NO! You got hurt because you were acting like a fool!!

If you watch the tape of the fight, you'll see people who were nowhere near the "action" but yet they still felt the need to contribute by throwing things? :idunno:

I agree Rich!!

Mike

Latest Discussions