If you had to defend yourself, what technique would you use?

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In a self defense situation, say bare handed, a guy comes at you, what technique would you use to defend yourself?

I would probably use a spinning back kick. Its simple, powerful, and most importantly, it feels comfortable.

I've seen a lot of videos on guys claiming to be martial artists that when in this situation, they revert to swinging fists wildly. After all that training, they go back to just slugging. :(

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Move into a slight front stance, put my hands into the ready position, then shift my weight and turn 90 degrees and yell..................

"Taxi"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it's not that easy...what's the situation, and the type of attack.

To perform a spinning side kick you have to have a lot of room....should the attacker be armed with a stick or knife, you risk getting immobilized.

We play out many different scenarios in training, some are simple escapes, some are a bit more aggressive, but all aim to get away ultimately. And seeing that I am a 5'5" female, about 125 lbs....I have to way my chances in 'combat, you just can't rely on hormones to give you that killer edge! ;)

I think (and hope I never have to put it to the test!!!) I would aim for the presser point closest to me, or the nose/throat...with whatever goes. That's why we learn more then one kick and more then one strike. A nice elbow to a sensitive area would work nicely, too, if you get a bit of muscle into it....also subject to practice...the bags hold still nicely and don't hit back....

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A few kicks until they got too close and then pound them into the ground with my fists. If they back away then back to kicking again. The type of kick would depend completely upon the situation, where I am, where they are, how we are moving etc...

Of course, being 5'8" and 200lbs helps with the "pounding into the ground" scenario.

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's not that easy...what's the situation, and the type of attack.

To perform a spinning side kick you have to have a lot of room....should the attacker be armed with a stick or knife, you risk getting immobilized.

We play out many different scenarios in training, some are simple escapes, some are a bit more aggressive, but all aim to get away ultimately. And seeing that I am a 5'5" female, about 125 lbs....I have to way my chances in 'combat, you just can't rely on hormones to give you that killer edge! ;)

I think (and hope I never have to put it to the test!!!) I would aim for the presser point closest to me, or the nose/throat...with whatever goes. That's why we learn more then one kick and more then one strike. A nice elbow to a sensitive area would work nicely, too, if you get a bit of muscle into it....also subject to practice...the bags hold still nicely and don't hit back....

well, i covered that it was with bare hands, so no weapons, say it is in a parking lot (plenty of room) and he comes forward with a wild punch. The reason I chose the spinning back kick is because it has a lot of force and the only room you need is between you and the attacker.

Just curious about how other martial artists would defend themselves, guessing that there is no escape or avoidance.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's no way to tell without all the information, the type of attack, the condition of the surface I'm standing on, the availablity of weapons of opportunity, cover, concealment, visibilty, speed of the attack, orientation, physical and mental state at the time, and any number of other variables.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly what Tom said. And since he and I are aikido-ka it's STILL gonna depend on what we feel when we intercept his energy. Is he drifting slightly one way or another? That's different techniques. Is he loaded up for the second hand to come in? That's different techniques. Any interaction with another human being contains so many variables that a single, simple answer is impossible. If that type of answer were possible then the entirety of martial arts would be four or five techniques taught the same way to everyone by everyone and nothing else.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knifehand and palmheel strikes are relatively risk-free techniques that can be utilized from a multitude of angles.

I've seen a TKD student use a spinning back kick in a school fight. It did not go well for him since he totally misjudged the distance he had, and his attacker charged in quickly and just pounded him to the ground. The spinning back kick has its usages (every tool has its purpose), but let's realize there are more higher percentage strikes to use.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would depend on the situation, honestly. Side kicks low are my 1st thought, however.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
K.I.S.S.

no spinning nothing.

if it is a charge, get out of the way or sprawl.

if it is a punch, block and break the nose with a palm

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya never really know what will come out, but I think a front kick is a great option:

- You can hit them well before they have bridged the gap into hand striking distance

- easy to follow up with hand striking as you maintain an upright, front facing posture

- feasible even in "street clothing" for the most part

- fast and powerful

- if you strike at the low hip area (say, where the femur joins the hip), most folk are going to have NO defense at all. It is fast enough you could also hit the chin or solar plexus with little risk of being blocked or grabbed.

I really think "feint a jab high and KABOOM with a low front kick" is a nice option, if you have the opportunity to choose.

Interesting note, I saw one of those martial art shows in which a bodyguard company said their No. 1 "take 'em out" technique is:

back leg front kick to midsection followed by a jump front kick to the face.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In a self defense situation, say bare handed, a guy comes at you, what technique would you use to defend yourself?

I'd like to be able to run away but that's not doable any longer. :)
So, I'd just like to be able to react to whatever comes and not "set my mind" to do a particular technique which may prove inadequate/ineffective/unnecessary or fatal.:mst:

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Front snap kick to the nuts and run in the opposite direction.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To perform a spinning side kick you have to have a lot of room....

I disagree, a spinning side kick, spinning back kick or a spinning hook kick take no more space than their non spinning versions. I can't explain the mechanics of the spin part of the kick very well in this post, but you should be able to perform the kick with two of your classmates standing on each side, as close as touching your shoulders. The only movemtent outside your personal space will be to the front, where your target is and bending to the rear, how much depends on your flexibility and the height of the target.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't explain the mechanics of the spin part of the kick very well in this post,
ok, then you should have stopped there :)
but you should be able to perform the kick with two of your classmates standing on each side, as close as touching your shoulders. The only movemtent outside your personal space will be to the front, where your target is and bending to the rear, how much depends on your flexibility and the height of the target.
Not really, have you ever seen this kick performed? The kick is whipped around, it is not a "back kick" but spins **away** from your body and thus your explanation of positioning is skewed.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, a real SD situation, the conditions would have to be pretty perfect for me to even consider attempting a spinning ANYTHING. No matter what variation of the technique or how you perform it.....the bottom line to me is that you are turning your back (even if it is for a split second) and you're taking more time to get to your target. In somethign like this....somethign quick, simple and easy....then get away.

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love spinning kicks in class but I probably wouldn't do them in a fight. I think their unpredictable and a lot of times I feel if you're off a little then you leave yourself open for an attack. I just like the standard side kick. It's powerful, fast, and can end the fight easily (as long as you have a good side kick). I think aiming it at the hip is good too. I've been kicked their once with a side kick and my whole leg went numb, I had to actually sit down (liked I been frogged). Plus the way the laws are today I would rather immobilize the guy instead of knocking him out. At least I could say to the police office that I could have knocked him out. Everyone had their own kickt or punch that works for them.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ok, then you should have stopped there :)

Well, not really, I CAN explain it, I choose not to because it would be rather lengthy. I can show you easily, as in "A picture is worth a thousand words." A demonstration is worth 10,000 words.

Not really, have you ever seen this kick performed? The kick is whipped around, it is not a "back kick" but spins **away** from your body and thus your explanation of positioning is skewed.

Really, not only have I seen it performed, I can perform it at will. I'm not going to call it "the proper technique," because your technique is just as valid as mine, not really mine, I didn't invent it.

To perform it the way I am talking about, is to turn as in a turning back kick, you body does not bend to the sides at all, but to the back, or from the perspective of the kicker, forward, remember is is not facing away from the target, shoot you fo out to a little more than off center and hook the leg and continuing turning the hips to generate torque, returning to your original position. Done properly, you will not hit a person to either side. Yes, I am positive it can be done this way.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just to expand, a little, I said start out as in a turning back kick, with the knees brushing each other, as the leg shoots out to a few degrees before center, you are transitioning into a side kick position.

The traditional was of doing this kick is powerful, but you can see the kicking leg coming from a mile away.

The new was gets its power through the rotation of the hips and its intent is hidden for a much longer period of time and it is fast, as in "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, not a big circle.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To perform it the way I am talking about, is to turn as in a turning back kick, you body does not bend to the sides at all, but to the back, or from the perspective of the kicker, forward, remember is is not facing away from the target, shoot you fo out to a little more than off center and hook the leg and continuing turning the hips to generate torque, returning to your original position. Done properly, you will not hit a person to either side. Yes, I am positive it can be done this way.
That is not the description of a spinning back kick. IT is the description of what you have modified the technique to fit your practice to. There is a difference.

Latest Discussions