When Would You Fight/Defend Yourself?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
could of, would of, should of, you don't know until it happens,sorry guys,

Yes, you're right, even when it actually happens you'll think back and say "I should of or I could of". I can only draw on my training and experience to answer question like these.

In a perfect world we wouldn't be asking ourselves these questions, but I have been in fights, I have had a knife pulled on me and even tho I was able to disarm the attacker, I got cut first. So no one who never been in a situation like that knows exactly what they'll do, but if you train for it you will have an idea of what you'll do.

Like Danjo said the military trains and trains and until recently many soldiers never had to use what they trained for, but I would still trust them on the battle field. It's one thing to be battle tested and another to be battle ready. And that's what we train for, to be battle ready and able to adapt to a given situation.

That's why training like you would fight is so important to me.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
could of, would of, should of, you don't know until it happens,sorry guys,

Yes, you are absolutely correct, however, there are many that would do just this (could of, would of, should of) after farting in a crowded room as well.

All we can do is to prepare ourselves as much as possible for given situations. Not sure what other will say or what they believe, but for me, I am a firm believer in the idea that if you find yourself in a situation or position that you have never been in before, you may get brain freeze, if only for a millisecond. It doesn't take much time to get hit, cut or shot. A split second can mean your life, I'd rather take my chances having thought my way through a situation, rather than to wait until something happens. JMHO

But yes, one never knows ...

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
back when i didnt know martial arts i would always get in fights and situations but now that i have trained and studied it just doesnt come my way anymore , not saying that it wont ever but its like i dont want to do something to someone that i might regret :jediduel:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't think you'll ever really know what you'd do until you're in one of those situations. i'll be honest though & admit that it would depend on what kind of day i'm having. i.e., am i having a really bad day, does life seem worth living, is that all of the money i have, those sort of things.

jf

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The moment I thought it would be a good idea.

Like Napoleon said "I may lose a battle. But I will never lose a minute."

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sure. There's always going to be the live element that will determine your particular action at any given moment. I think this question has more to do with what our philosophical outlook is on when we would defend ourselves. Some of us have actually had to defend ourselves, and are also drawing on that. If you don't envision scenarios, then you make it more likely that you will fail when it hits the fan. Police and military have used scenario training for years to develop and hone the reflexes in preparation for the real deal. It works even if it's not the same as the real thing.

Hi Danjo,,and the rest of you people that responded to what i said,don't take it the wrong way,,it is really hard to put one's feelings down when you have to type them,(i wish that we could have voice with this) anyway i know what you mean,but please look at it this way,i see people training ,and when it comes to doing a tecq, (lets say arm lock from behind)
now let's see ok P T H that is one of them but what if it did not work,(i know that you guys have heard this all before) you go into something else.
but that is were the "what if's" come into play, that all i mean, now if any of what i just typed out don't make any sence?? that's my fault, i didn't have my coffee yet.:)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i need to ask a the question,
why would someone kick them to the groin and then back up and see if that is enough?
if they are robbing you with a weapon- then kick their ***.
If you run, what if they catch up to you, are you going to run again??
i don't think i ever read anywhere that Grandmaster Ed Parker ran away.

just my thoughts

I agree. If I'm going to go thru the motions of defending myself, I'm not stopping after one hit. I'm going to use that groin kick to set up my next strike, and then my next, and next, etc. until the threat is no more.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To follow up on my thread. :)

I'm an advocate of trying to talk my way out first. I've done it before with success. Of course, that may not always work, and we may not have the time to talk, so assess the situation. As I said in another thread though, I don't feel that we should just hand our stuff over to the badguy, nor do I think its wise to assume that if we do, the threat will be over. Of course, the other option is handing it over and then if something else is about to happen, then act. I view that as...why wait?

If there is a good chance that I could get killed anyways, may as well go down fighting.

Spacedcrane

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many times it will take for others to actually read the words that I write. So I guess I will just have to repeat my reply until we're all on the same page.

If they are unarmed, I'll throw a quick front snap kick to the groin, back up and wait.
If they are unarmed, I'll throw a quick front snap kick to the groin, back up and wait.
Is everyone reading the same thing now? The reason I will back up and wait if they are UNARMED: Maybe they haven't thought it through. I'm giving the UNARMED attacker a chance to think about his/her options. If they get hit by my snap kick, and still want to proceed. Then they obviously still have the intent for harm. If that is the case, then I will follow up my attack. If they decide that life is worth living, then they will just walk away after the groin kick.

Also, I never said anything about running away. As an additional statement, I never said I was trained under Ed Parker's American Kenpo.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many times it will take for others to actually read the words that I write. So I guess I will just have to repeat my reply until we're all on the same page.

Is everyone reading the same thing now? The reason I will back up and wait if they are UNARMED: Maybe they haven't thought it through. I'm giving the UNARMED attacker a chance to think about his/her options. If they get hit by my snap kick, and still want to proceed. Then they obviously still have the intent for harm. If that is the case, then I will follow up my attack. If they decide that life is worth living, then they will just walk away after the groin kick.

Also, I never said anything about running away. As an additional statement, I never said I was trained under Ed Parker's American Kenpo.
Not a good idea IMO. If they come at you, take them out.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Perhaps its just the Kenpo mindset for me, seeing that every tech. in the system has multiple hits. So, that being said, I'm not a fan of the 1 shot, 1 kill line of thought. Is this kick going to drop them? Maybe, maybe not, but if someone is that enraged and coming at me, I'm not doing 1 hit.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me add: If it's serious enough to kick them in the sack, then it's serious enough to finish the fight. I can't think of too many situations where a groin kick would be warranted that a beat-down wouldn't.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a good idea IMO. If they come at you, take them out.

I agree, why give them the opportunity to pull out a knife or any other type of weapon. It's kind of how I feel about allowing someone to tap out in a street fight ... sorry, ain't happening.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You fight / defend yourself untill,
*he stops on his own,
*he is unable to defend himself,
*someone with authority steps in and stops it,
*your mother says so.
:ultracool

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I have commited to attacking the threat, then I personnally won't stop at one strike. I'm going for broke until like lawdog said, my mom tells me to stop!

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps its just the Kenpo mindset for me, seeing that every tech. in the system has multiple hits. So, that being said, I'm not a fan of the 1 shot, 1 kill line of thought. Is this kick going to drop them? Maybe, maybe not, but if someone is that enraged and coming at me, I'm not doing 1 hit.

What do you mean? It works for snipers!

Latest Discussions