When to start teaching?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's unreasonable to expect all BB's to teach. Why punish the class and the BB both if they're poorly suited to teaching?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, one of the fundamental flaws in the belt system is that it never seperates skill level from teaching ability. Some people can teach, others can't. And often it doesn't matter how much training you give a person or how good they get, they still won't be able to teach.

No other sport seems to do that, coaches and athletes are seperate roles, with seperate criteria. Some people are good at one, others good at the other. Occasionally you find a person that is really good at both.

This isn't limited to belt systems.

Look at academics: there are plenty of lawyers out there, for example, who somehow managed to pass the bar but can't teach — and some who can't even practice law!

But they still have that law degree.

Not that I disagree with your assessment of lawyers - I don't... but I'm a little muddy on how that relates to this issue, as most lawyers are not expected to teach when they hit a certain level.

It's unreasonable to expect all BB's to teach. Why punish the class and the BB both if they're poorly suited to teaching?

Sorry, that wasn't quite what I meant - I was responding to the sequence above, and wondering how lawyers being good or bad as lawyers - who are not, in general, expected to teach as any part of their training that I'm aware of - equate to knowing when to start teaching a martial art, where at least some of the students are expected to teach as some point.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, that wasn't quite what I meant - I was responding to the sequence above, and wondering how lawyers being good or bad as lawyers - who are not, in general, expected to teach as any part of their training that I'm aware of - equate to knowing when to start teaching a martial art, where at least some of the students are expected to teach as some point.

Brain glitch. There is no relationship between the two.

I was thinking more along the lines of skill level being equated with belt rank, which isn't what Andrew was commenting on at all.

Sorry for the irrelevant interruption.

Latest Discussions