When to start teaching?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At what level do you start to instruct TKD?

I'm thinking Black Belt would be good.

That depends to some extent on what your own instructor wants, Red. I have two more belts to go before first dan, but I teach a class once a week in my school, because my sabumnim is anxious for me to get teaching experience as part of the lead-in to my black belt test.

I think it's a good thing to get some teaching experience as an advanced colored belt. By that point, you've had a chance to think about the technical issues and work some of them out (e.g.: for a lot of beginners and even intermediate belts, the motion of a side kick or a roundhouse looks very much like a somewhat sloppy front snap kick delivered at somewhat oblique angles. Most colored belt students just do not `get' kicks. How do you make them understand that (i) the striking surface and (ii) the angle of delivery and therefore (iii) the biomechanics are sigificantly different in the three cases? What tricks can you use to get them to carry out the right motions? Thinking about that problem can actually lead to better execution of your own kicks, and will almost certainly clarify the body mechanics issues involved in a way that will have a positive effect on your own practice drills outside of class. I've worked out some tricks to use for that particular problem that seem effective...). This is something that can and, I think, should begin before you're a BB.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what are you going to teach? If it is basic blocks/kicks then I think a lower belt is capable of teaching these thing while the instructor watches then constructively suggests ways to improve how it was taught , also the instructor should correct mistakes you make when he sees them

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our colour belts start being assistant instructors at red (2nd Kup), that way they are gaining valuble experience before they get 1st Dan.

Our club has prerequisites before students start teaching I believe, you have to have certain things before you can teach a class on your own as an assistant instructor (e.g. first aid) and have to have other requisites before teaching a class as a qualified instructor (e.g. child protection qualifications). Saying that though, all coloured belts are expected to help out with lower ranks who have problems, yellow tags help with white belts if they can see they need it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully I think it always comes down to each individual and their unique talents. Some people may be ready to teach earlier on and other's may never quite get there.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that Brian's point is a very important one. Teaching is a very individual thing - it is after all a truism that there have been some spectacularly good practitioners who couldn't pass on what they could do to others. Then there are those who have the knack of getting things across in a fashion that others can absorb. SOme like to teach, some hate it.

In my case, for example, I organically grew into a teaching/tutoring role without even realising it. Sensei observed that others seemed to grasp things when I demonstrated or explained them and subtly steered me so that after a time I was almost teaching 'properly' whilst he mysteriously attended to other things (e.g. nip out for a craft smoke :D).

The first time I truly realised that I'd grown into the role was during my shodan grading when after the morning session, Sensei called me out of the line and directed me to take some of the kyu grades off to one side and teach then some forms they didn't know whilst he graded the rest i.e. he made my 'teaching' a part of my grading :eek:.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with both Brian and Sukerkin. It's something only you know (the 'individual' thing), because you know it in your gut (as in, I can do that--or maybe, I have to do that). Also, as Suk said, it may have nothing to do with one's abilties in the MA. Have seen some great MA's who just could not teach, and then people like me who can seem to teach, but are just so-so MA's. It's a matter of finding your place in the MA realm. I will say though, teaching is a lot of blood, sweat and tears :uhyeah: so if you're not sold on it, it never hurts to wait to make such a commitment. :) Best of luck with your decision. :ultracool

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started teaching a class on my own as a Red belt, and continued teaching it through brown and 1st Kyu (Gup) brown belt. While it started off as just me, one of the other Black Belt candidates joined in and started helping. Eventually, after I made Black Belt, the other guy took over the class (mainly due to the fact that I moved). I sometimes have my students help teach other students as early as orange or green belt, but ONLY under my direct supervision. As far as solo teaching, red or brown belt. Even then, I am usually playing the part of a student, (sometime an excellent student, sometimes a very poor student) so that they learn to deal with different kinds of students.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like others here, we start "teaching" at about 3rd gup (not including the normal on the side help that all students give each other). Usually the instructor will show the students the new form (for example), do it a couple times so they kinda have the basics of the idea of the form and then ask a senior color belt to then go help them in the back. I like this style because the student is really seeing the new technique by the instructor first (which is what most students want), and it gives the senior belt a quick shot to review it and make sure they know it before teaching it. I have found that junior belts often will get even more out of working with a senior color belt than a black belt because they feel less embarrassed or timid to ask questions. No one teaches someone for the first time until black belt, and even then most black belts have gotten into a habit of asking if it is ok to teach someone something for the first time before doing so. Better to ask first and be told no then get be embarrassed for showing it wrong later! That said, the school owner teaches "all" classes himself (which everyone loves) unless something comes up (sick, an unexpected parent who wants to talk, et, or if he just wants to see how well a Black Belt can teach) and then one of the black belts will take over. Usually a 2nd degree or higher, unless he is trying to see how well a 1st Dan can handle it. Other times he might have a senior color belt or a junior black belt handle warm ups, or organize the class for kicking targets, etc. It seems to be a good system. I like how you slowly get more responsibility and experience as you move through the ranks. Everyone should feel challanged the first time they step out of their comfort zone, but everyone is always adequetly prepared for what they are asked to do. I also like how senior color belts are getting some responsibility before black belt. A lot of people new to the arts expect black belts to be perfect (which they are, right! ;) ) and it helps if you have had a little assisting/teaching experience under your belt (pun intended) so you aren't just thrown off the deep end as soon as you put on a black belt.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it really depends on the student & what is meant by "teaching." Teaching a new student how to tie their belt, or leading warm ups, teaching stances for the 1st time, or running your own school? There is obviously a lot of difference in the things I listed here.

In my case, my highest ranked students (with the exception of a 9 year old BB I got from another school) are 7th gups. I will have them teach one-steps to white belts, sometimes.

I'd encourage you to talk with your instructor about teaching opportunities, if you're interested. As for having one's own school? There is no set rank. I've seen great 1st Dans who were able to run their own programs & 4th Dans who (while they may be good fighters) just can't teach.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree Iceman, it all depends on the student. In my case I've been helping out with the teaching since I was a purple sr. belt. I come in on wednesdays and usually lead atleast one warmup and help work with the beginner students. My master doesn't let me teach anything new to them but I can go over all the material that they have learned so far. I think its a great way to improve your own skills because suddenly you have to look at how the feet are positioned, if they are turning too much on back kicks.... It has helped me to analyze my own skills and i recognize what I do wrong much faster than before.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our system, we start "coaching" (assisting the instructor) at red belt (2nd gup). We'd warm up class, then the instructor will lead the whole class in forms, then give us a group of the same rank so we can continue showing them their forms, techniques, ect. Then we fall back together as a class.

The dojang I'm at now, I do the same but a bit more. I'm the highest ranked student she has (besides her daughter ... but she's not very serious about it), so I help out a lot.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At what level do you start to instruct TKD?

I'm thinking Black Belt would be good.

IMO, one of the fundamental flaws in the belt system is that it never seperates skill level from teaching ability. Some people can teach, others can't. And often it doesn't matter how much training you give a person or how good they get, they still won't be able to teach.

No other sport seems to do that, coaches and athletes are seperate roles, with seperate criteria. Some people are good at one, others good at the other. Occasionally you find a person that is really good at both.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, one of the fundamental flaws in the belt system is that it never seperates skill level from teaching ability. Some people can teach, others can't. And often it doesn't matter how much training you give a person or how good they get, they still won't be able to teach.

No other sport seems to do that, coaches and athletes are seperate roles, with seperate criteria. Some people are good at one, others good at the other. Occasionally you find a person that is really good at both.

This is true. Skill level & teaching ability are very different. In boxing, many great trainers (Teddy Atlas & Freddy Roach to name two) never set the ring on fire with gloves on. But they are great trainers. Both love the sport & were tough as nails in their days. I've also run across many folks in MA, who did not have great physical ability but could teach very well. Because they couldn't rely on physical prowess, they focused on getting the techniques down pat.

I also think their are folks who are great motivators, but not cannot teach well.

In the TKD org. I belong to, we have the rank of Associate Master designed for folks for whom training (rather than teaching) is their focus. I think this is a good way to go for some.

As an instructor, I think it's important to give students opportunities to teach, knowing that it won't be a focus for everyone. We learn a lot when we need to explain it to others.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truthfully I think it always comes down to each individual and their unique talents. Some people may be ready to teach earlier on and other's may never quite get there.

Well said....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those that have emphasised that "the teacher also learns" bring to the fore a point I meant to make myself.

Since I became shodan and have taught quite regularly, I've found that I uncover and understand more and more about what we do {plus I went through a period when I was hyper critical of my own abilities ... thankfully my fellows helped me see the error of that one : phew :}.

Having to bring the bunkai of a kata to life for someone and help them smooth down their rough spots makes a wonderful mirror :D.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those that have emphasised that "the teacher also learns" bring to the fore a point I meant to make myself.

Since I became shodan and have taught quite regularly, I've found that I uncover and understand more and more about what we do {plus I went through a period when I was hyper critical of my own abilities ... thankfully my fellows helped me see the error of that one : phew :}.

Having to bring the bunkai of a kata to life for someone and help them smooth down their rough spots makes a wonderful mirror :D.

This is a great point! While some people (or even a lot of people) will never be GREAT instructors, all Black Belts at my dojang are expected to help out from time to time just for this reason exactly. You learn so much by teaching, and then actually remember it even better too.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, one of the fundamental flaws in the belt system is that it never seperates skill level from teaching ability.

This isn't limited to belt systems.

Look at academics: there are plenty of lawyers out there, for example, who somehow managed to pass the bar but can't teach — and some who can't even practice law!

But they still have that law degree.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This isn't limited to belt systems.

Look at academics: there are plenty of lawyers out there, for example, who somehow managed to pass the bar but can't teach — and some who can't even practice law!

But they still have that law degree.

Not that I disagree with your assessment of lawyers - I don't... but I'm a little muddy on how that relates to this issue, as most lawyers are not expected to teach when they hit a certain level.