When is a good age to teach chokes?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After the recent murder of Mollie Tibbets, I'm more interested than ever to teach my daughters (8 and 4) Bjj. My oldest has learned a few basics from me, but I'm hesitant to teach her chokes. What age would you recommend a person to learn choking techniques?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
After the recent murder of Mollie Tibbets, I'm more interested than ever to teach my daughters (8 and 4) Bjj. My oldest has learned a few basics from me, but I'm hesitant to teach her chokes. What age would you recommend a person to learn choking techniques?
When you feel they are able to take their training seriously.

So maybe anywhere between 8-80?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Choked s good at any age, just teach her to let go when they go limp or it can get complicated

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Choked s good at any age, just teach her to let go when they go limp or it can get complicated
Kids too young might not understand that. And they might think they do, but get overzealous, or not feel it, or not understand the dangers.
As to Hanzou, no clue unfortunately. Sorry

mber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I learned fairly early ( < 10 ) and I can't say I really understood at the time. I didn't get how that kind of thing worked. By the time I was 12 or so I was able to connect it to a real experience enough to make it worth it. (Helped that an instructor pinned me down and choked me during a freestyle sparring match so I would understand better).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’d say when they’re fully aware of the consequences of choking someone. I’d say early teens, but some of them might not be mature enough yet. Rather than teaching chokes, I feel situational awareness and stuff like that would be more beneficial, alongside the standard stuff kids are taught in BJJ and judo.

My opinion is you don’t apply a choke unless you really, really need to. An adult knows when that is and isn’t. Young kids don’t have the ability to really differentiate a life and death or at least serious injury situation from a playground fight type situation.

I haven’t trained chokes, so all of that’s just my guess.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
8 or so, depending on the kid. but I’d stay away from anything that puts pressure on the spine or on the trachea. So, avoid guillotines, thumb chokes, and the like. Triangles would be okay, as long as you don’t pull down on the head.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="JR 137, post: 1920589,

My opinion is you don’t apply a choke unless you really, really need to. An adult knows when that is and isn’t. Young kids don’t have the ability to really differentiate a life and death or at least serious injury situation from a playground fight type situation.

I haven’t trained chokes, so all of that’s just my guess.[/QUOTE]
Personally I think any martial artist should train in chokes at least a tiny bit. Have one put on them, so they know what it feels, and place one on someone else to get that feeling too. In a fight its a possibility, and getting choked out is a freaky enough feeling that IMO the first time should be in a secure place, by someone who knows how to apply it safely.

Edit: this is ignoring the age component a bit. Im saying everyone should experience it, but my gut would agree not until teens, at least for the more dangerous chokes.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started training when I was young and I have two young boys now. If you train chokes to young boys you can expect they will be choking out all their friends at school to show off and for fun. The other boys will line up to experience passing out. Girls on the other hand ,,,I have no clue.
To your concern about self defense, a child has no chance against an adult in a violent situation. Having girls learn a choke is not going to change that. Teenagers who would need to defend against other teens in a date rape situation Yes I would agree with that. But an 8, 9, or 10 year old....no. I can over power my son and just pull his arms right off me.
Speed and position. The ability to move and get out of stuff is way more valuable at that age.
Edit: position before submission

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[QUOTE="JR 137, post: 1920589,

I haven’t trained chokes, so all of that’s just my guess.
Personally I think any martial artist should train in chokes at least a tiny bit. Have one put on them, so they know what it feels, and place one on someone else to get that feeling too. In a fight its a possibility, and getting choked out is a freaky enough feeling that IMO the first time should be in a secure place, by someone who knows how to apply it safely.

Edit: this is ignoring the age component a bit. Im saying everyone should experience it, but my gut would agree not until teens, at least for the more dangerous chokes.[/QUOTE]
I’ve felt them and messed around with them through wrestling (folk style), but not in formal training to speak of. We did some choke defenses in my previous dojo, but I take all that with a grain of salt as it’s not like a choke expert of sorts applying them. There’s a big difference between someone who formally trains them day in and day out vs what I’ve done. My former sensei sunk a few pretty deep during sparring and a few drills, but I wouldn’t consider that or my messing around during wrestling anything serious. But on the other hand, a choke is a choke. It doesn’t matter who’s applying it nor how many times they’ve done it if you genuinely can’t breathe or they’re cutting off your blood supply. You feel the lights going out and tap all the same.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This has always been a difficult thing for me. I don't teach chokes or armbars to kids. Armbars because there's too much flexibility to kids arms, chokes because they're chokes. And I'm only taking about RNC here.

BUT...I've found that little kid girls are more responsible and mature than little kid boys. So boys I won't teach chokes to until they're late teens - unless I personally know them and/or are children of good friends. Girls - seven or so. But I tell them they can only choke boys. Choke them out cold, leave them safely on their sides and perhaps, if they have the time, write A-hole on their forehead in ink. And, yes, I've trained all my friends daughters.

I especially like to teach them a particular clothing choke from full guard position. I have never learned the proper name of this technique, despite teaching it for twenty five years. It may very well be my favorite technique in all of Martial Arts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What age would you recommend a person to learn choking techniques?
GM Han Chin-Tang could choke out someone and then brought that person back. Since the skill to bring someone back after choked out was a missing skill (I don't know anybody still has that skill), Today In CMA, people are afraid to choke someone out. If you can't bring that person back, you will be in trouble.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Instead of to choke on the throat, you can squeeze around the temple, or squeeze around the jaw. You won't be able to choke your opponent out, but you can deliver pain. It's much safer.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GM Han Chin-Tang could choke out someone and then brought that person back. Since the skill to bring someone back after choked out was a missing skill (I don't know anybody still has that skill), Today In CMA, people are afraid to choke someone out. If you can't bring that person back, you will be in trouble.
It’s called CPR. :)
But yeah, absolutely no need to choke someone out to the point of death. Unless of course you’re in a life-or-death situation.

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One shouldn't merely teach based on age, but by humility, respect, worthiness, and by how one's Chi is balanced and the path they walk.

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score

If you choke them out in only say, 20 secs or less, don't they just always come back on their own? Don't know the exact number of secs, I'm sure it'd vary a bit, but 40 or more secs in a solid choke and THEN they might need assistance in coming back. Right?

Latest Discussions