Self Defence in schools

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a good all round approach to awareness, confidence and combine that with a skilled instructor, who not only has a strong grasp of MA/self defence issues, but someone who is also a good teacher of children.

I don't understand why our kids have to learn sports, as opposed to the likes of MA. You look at the likes of China where many kids learn MA as part of the culture, if they want to play sports, fine, but as odd as it may sound, I'd rather my step-daughter, and soon to be daughter learned MA/SD than rounders, or netball, or whatever. Fitness and confidence can be built up in MA too. I love sports, don't get me wrong, huge rugby and hockey fan, but in terms of sheer practicality, if I was given a preference for my children to study "normal" sports, or MA/SD, my choice would be for the latter.

I've seen of schools in the Far East where the kids have regimes of fitness and MA, and more power to them.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do I think self defense should be taught in schools? Absolutely. Would I expect anything worthwhile to be taught in school? Unfortunately, no.

Most school boards now have a zero tolerance for violence policy, which includes being suspended for defending yourself. if you don't want to be suspended, you have to be a punching bag for the bully or agressor. Aside from teaching every one to be a victim, it is a contracdictory statement to get effective self defense training in an environment which discourages the use of it.

If my son or daughter start a fight, they deserve to be punished, no problem. If they are attacked, and defend themselves, you can be sure I will be in the principal's office, defending their right to self defense.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
frank raud said:
Do I think self defense should be taught in schools? Absolutely. Would I expect anything worthwhile to be taught in school? Unfortunately, no.

Most school boards now have a zero tolerance for violence policy, which includes being suspended for defending yourself. if you don't want to be suspended, you have to be a punching bag for the bully or agressor. Aside from teaching every one to be a victim, it is a contracdictory statement to get effective self defense training in an environment which discourages the use of it.

If my son or daughter start a fight, they deserve to be punished, no problem. If they are attacked, and defend themselves, you can be sure I will be in the principal's office, defending their right to self defense.

Yep, therein lies part of the problem. We're helping create a PS2, disinterested, obese, lazy generation of kids, with little or no self esteem. Or at least we are in the UK. Sure, I know that there are a lot of great kids and parents, unfortunately I live in an area where I see the majority who aren't.

I look to China. I see their kids getting up at the crack of dawn, cooking a nutritious breakfast, cleaning around themselves, and then off to class for a couple hour MA session, increasing their fitness, confidence and general all round SD abilities to boot and perhaps as importantly, their sense of responsibility. Who's future would I think is brighter? We in the West, who's soft, decadent administration seem to try and contradict themselves and encourage a nanny state, or China where there are more people learning to speak English than there currently are English speakers in the West? Rome fell because of her decadence, BOE's who continue to act in the way they do, are helping to unravel the fabric of our society, after all, what's a little hardship now compared to the possible future we face?

Let kids learn SD/MA, let them make their own mistakes, tear them away from bloody PS2's X-Box 360s etc, get them training, improve their confidence and fitness, and see the benefits reaped. Perhaps we should start a petition to try and raise this issue both here in the UK, and the States/NA?

*Soap box mode off*

Sorry for the rant. Feel better now. *blushes*

Kensai

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree I am seeing alot of the same thing. Kids are much more lazy today then when I was a kid and I am only going to be 30 this year. The huge jump of the internet, video games, TV among other things has distracted them enough that they don't take any initive. The imagination is gone with many kids, and with that the grand vision of what they could do with themselves is not there. Its sad!! Martial arts of all types given they have a quality instructor to study under builds those characteristics that are missing in many cases.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:
I agree I am seeing alot of the same thing. Kids are much more lazy today then when I was a kid and I am only going to be 30 this year. The huge jump of the internet, video games, TV among other things has distracted them enough that they don't take any initive. The imagination is gone with many kids, and with that the grand vision of what they could do with themselves is not there. Its sad!! Martial arts of all types given they have a quality instructor to study under builds those characteristics that are missing in many cases.

Could not agree more. Also, I'm 30 early next year, how much does it show in our views? "When I was a kid etc etc.." Lol... But I know what you mean mate.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
frank raud said:

Hit the nail on the head with that one..Step daughter was constantly being bullied because of her Hispanic looks by the fat pasty faced female,the school administrators adopted this "Just ignore her and she'll stop" attitude..I got fed up and spent a weekend teaching her some "little tricks" based on this bullies MO..
Well the next time she was "jumped" she defended herself and payed the bully back BIG TIME and was promply suspended..

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac,
My wife teaches in the Euclid City School system and they don't have tolerence for kids bullying other kids nor kids defending themselves. I don't agree with not being able to defend yourself but at least it is equal treatment on both sides. Your step daughters situation, well I personally think she got the short end of the stick.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
I would have to agree with you. Even if a qualified instuctor comes in and covers the basic self-defense, 99% it would not be effective on someone 2-3 more the child's weight. Most abductors will use "trickery" before they will use a violent attack.

Teaching the child to make the correct decisions in strange or fearful situations is the way to go. Teach them not to be put in a situation where they can be harmed. Parents should also discuss possible scenarios and how the child should react. Phone numbers to call, houses to run to, best route to walk home, code words, etc.

Trickery. I think that is a key point.

Based soley on what I have heard and read...it seems like a lot of kids get in to a bad situation not becauase they were violently taken away from wherever they were, but because they were seduced/persuaded in to a situation.

I think teaching kids SD could trickle in the importance of situational awareness and what to do when in a bad situation. I don't have children myself so I don't know if that is too ideal or too lofty...but personally I'd like to see kids have a way of not getting in to a bad situation to begin with.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:
Drac,
My wife teaches in the Euclid City School system and they don't have tolerence for kids bullying other kids nor kids defending themselves. I don't agree with not being able to defend yourself but at least it is equal treatment on both sides. Your step daughters situation, well I personally think she got the short end of the stick.

The Fairview Park School system at that time was antiquated..All but one of her teachers allowed her to make the work she missed..The final chapter was when she was walking home that day the bullies Father came out on the porch and uttered threats to her..
Upon telling me about it I walked over to his house and asked him to step off the porch and threaten me in the same fashion that he threatned my 11 year old step daughter..Tough guy went and called the local cops..

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
The Fairview Park School system at that time was antiquated..All but one of her teachers allowed her to make the work she missed..The final chapter was when she was walking home that day the bullies Father came out on the porch and uttered threats to her..
Upon telling me about it I walked over to his house and asked him to step off the porch and threaten me in the same fashion that he threatned my 11 year old step daughter..Tough guy went and called the local cops..
Glad that the teacher helped out. Many times it is up to the teachers if they want to do that.

This guy really has some issues glad that you called him out but sorry he couldn't face you. Doesn't surprise me though.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brandon Fisher said:
Glad that the teacher helped out. Many times it is up to the teachers if they want to do that.

This guy really has some issues glad that you called him out but sorry he couldn't face you. Doesn't surprise me though.

The local cops showed up while I was still there and after showing my police ID and explaining what happened they walked up to his door and rang his doorbell but chicken **** wouldn't answer..

*reason for edit - profanity filter circumvention

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad your daughter stood up for herself. Unfortunate that it came to that, and she got suspended. My, how things have changed! Of course, I was quiet and no one expected anything out of me until... You know what they say: stay away from the quiet ones! Then again, I ran into more situations that required verbal defense rather than physical.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry! I forgot about the original question!!! Yes- self defense should be taught to school age children. Starting at any age, with the basics (especially verbal), stranger awareness, etc., of course it should be taught by someone who knows what they're doing.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am glad to hear that you went over there and did what you did. I am surprised that the Police couldn't force him out after he made that call.

Isn't amazing how these bozo's think they are tough until they face an adult or the police.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Trickery. I think that is a key point.

Based soley on what I have heard and read...it seems like a lot of kids get in to a bad situation not becauase they were violently taken away from wherever they were, but because they were seduced/persuaded in to a situation.

I think teaching kids SD could trickle in the importance of situational awareness and what to do when in a bad situation. I don't have children myself so I don't know if that is too ideal or too lofty...but personally I'd like to see kids have a way of not getting in to a bad situation to begin with.

Well, alot of abductions are by people the child already knows. That accounts for much of that trickery. Snatch and grabs are a fairly common form of abduction between strangers. Anybody remember "Stranger Danger" in school? It was (IMHO) a horrible failure because it taught kids that the only one to fear was a dirty stranger in an overcoat, when really it was estranged Uncle Joe thay needed to worry about.

Situational awareness is the real key - and that's where some of those "other" SD classes can come in handy. They teach (if taught properly, of course) to be aware and use specific strategies if trouble arises anyway. The whole goal of those street smart courses is to avoid the problem.

Heck, I taught SD classes in a community college and I spent ALOT of time working on situational awareness as welll as drilling into their heads that an 8 week course didn't make them Bruce Lee. Avoidance is always the key, even for adults. On top of that, we spent time on "dirty tricks", found weapons, and physical fitness (this is all in addition to the actual fighting techniques of course). My point is that you have to build your course aims around the time you have to teach them, and the mind is always your best weapon.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The other problem with "Stranger Danger" is that it doesn't teach discimmination - there has been a case this spring, and a few last summer, of kids lost in the mountains from camping trips who deliberately avoided the searchers because they were strangers. Luckily, all the kids were recovered safely - but because they were taught to fear strangers in general, when they heard searchers calling their names, they deliberately avoided them.

Awareness, as already stated, is the key here. There are no absolutes that cover all situations, and therefore self defense taught to children has to be, in my opinion, on-going and adjusted to the age and understanding of the children being taught... which, of course, makes it really hard to create a set curriculum, too. That is why discussion is so important, when compared to lecture. Children who can think when in difficult/threatening situations are much better off than children who are taught to react by rote.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
This taught in my school:
Step one: currle into a little ball and start crying.
Step two: get the living crapp beat out of you/be murddered (bad school and area)/get raped/or get robbed.
Step three: find and tell the police, assuming your alive, concious, not restrained in any way, or bleeding to death.
Step four: get expeled for doing anything to set off a crack addict, and then bleeding all over the nice floor that hasn't been cleaned since the school was opened.

In the area I live in you're a thousand times more likely to be in physical trouble AT school then anywere else. Why? becasue of the abouve logic. No matter what you can do NOTHING to stop your attacker. Fight back it's either a fight (suspension), or assult (expulsion). Run away, and you'll get introuble for running in he halls. Scream, and it's distrubing the peace.
None of the abouve makes any sense, unless you are the retarded girbal (named John Makeile, and that's not me by the way) who came up with this.
If that name sounds familiar, it's for a reason. Makeile is the guy in charge of the Omaha Public School System. They are the ones trying to annex a few other school districts, and the Nebraska Supreme Court decided that instead, the distraict is going to be brocken up into three districts based on racial lines. The real reason why Makeile even wants to do this is to put more white people into a district of mostly Blacks, Hispanics, Immagrents, and severly low income. that had nothing to do with the origanl thread, but I flet it was worth noting that people in charge of teaching you kidds, are raceist morones. Well not all, but most of the administration seems to be. And the security gaurds, and the rent-a-cops.
Anyways, the self defense lessons taught in the school I go to are are almost hipocritcal. And they are almost garunteed to end up with you dieing.

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
My daughter was taught "street smart" self defence in Grade 9 and she found it somewhat laughable.

She was also taught to try and stab someone with her keys when they grab her.
How many keys to 9th graders have now-a-days?

Thing is, kids can do everything that they have been told right and the system can let them down.

Remember little Robby, if you're in trouble call 911 for help.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/07/911.death.ap/index.html