Self Defence in schools

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My daughter was taught "street smart" self defence in Grade 9 and she found it somewhat laughable. What she took from it was to yell STOP! really loud when someone was coming after her to make him pause and give her a chance to run away. She was also taught to try and stab someone with her keys when they grab her. There were a few other techniques that she said she didn't feel were realistic.

Do you believe that self defence techniques should be taught in the school during gym class. If so at what age or grade leve do you think it is important and how much do you teach?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do I think it should be taught? A guarded and somewhat conditional yes... depending on the skill and knowledge of the person doing the instructing. My first introduction to self-defense was in the Girl Scouts, when I was 11 or 12, a basic course taught by a police officer, and the few things I remember (like how to do a shin rake, and yelling fire instead of help) are still valid today. However, it sounds like the teacher was using a canned program that s/he didn't really understand, and I would be concerned that such a method would lead to overconfidence on the part of the students, and possibly their parents.

With a qualified instructor (martial artist, law enforcement officer, etc.) I think self-defense could be a valid and useful addition to either a PE or Health class - and I would suggest that it be taught on a regular basis, and starting sooner than 9th grade. With an unqualified instructor, I would be concerned about misplaced confidence based on techniques taught by rote rather than from understanding.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taught yes, but bring in someone capable of doing it properly, not just giving a teacher a 30 minute how to teach it video and letting them go.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree with Andrew on this one. It should be taught, but taught by someone well qualified. Seeinghow this kind of thing will have to meet budget constraints and school board approvals, it will probably never happen in much abundance.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I'm gonna have to agree with Andrew on this one. It should be taught, but taught by someone well qualified. Seeinghow this kind of thing will have to meet budget constraints and school board approvals, it will probably never happen in much abundance.

Agreed as well. Can't be taught in a six week slot on a time table by the gym teacher with a preapproved video.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I do I think 9th grade may be a little young but I think they should be able to handle it. Problem is many times that age group doesn't think anything can happen to them.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After several attacks/assaults and a rape close to the school that my wife works at, i was asked to come in and run some classes/courses......I agreed.

I ran some 6 week short courses..... The first was aimed solely at the primary school teachers and was well subscribed (they had to pay for this themselves). the following 1course was open to female students aged 14 and above as well as female teachers and parents (this was less subscribed) as it was later in the term and people had forgotten about the incidents that had sparked this off. The third course was open to all students, parents and teachers over 14.

as i said these courses were 6 times at about an hour and a half a time (about 8 to 10 hours training).

The school also wanted me to do some class time classes. I saw 17/18 year olds for a total of 3 hours, 15/16 year olds for 3 hours and the 13/14 year olds for 50 minutes.......this was due to school curriculum time constraints

since these courses there have been 2 incidents involving younger children and i have been asked by the school to do some pieces for them.......

so to answer the question posted by "lisa"
Do you believe that self defence techniques should be taught in the school during gym class. If so at what age or grade leve do you think it is important and how much do you teach?

I think that a well structured course by a qualified instructor should be put into place, during school gym class, NO......It would be better if there was a specific time for Self defence, maybe better in a life skills type class

At what age.......I think it should be put in place at an age when kids are either being allowed to walk home on their own, or go to the shops on theitr own...........In some places this could be as young as 5 or 6.

There are possibilities to start the process at these ages, if done correctly......In kindergarten cop the children he (shwartze******) taught were told to shout and point at the stranger!........Not saying thats exactly what to do, but there are definately things that are possible

In countries like brazil where abductions and kidnaps are common place ......there are courses in place for children of 5 and 6...teaching escape etc

.:)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lisa said:
My daughter was taught "street smart" self defence in Grade 9 and she found it somewhat laughable. What she took from it was to yell STOP! really loud when someone was coming after her to make him pause and give her a chance to run away. She was also taught to try and stab someone with her keys when they grab her. There were a few other techniques that she said she didn't feel were realistic.

I also have to go with Andrew on this. Someone qualified needs to be brought in to teach any SD that may be offered in a gym class. Out of curiosity, what qualifications did the person teaching this class have?

I would also think that it would be best to have a timeline set up, not so short that training will not be able to be retained, but as others have said, due to budgets, I can't imagine it being approved for a long period of time.

As for the age...I think that any age level, ranging from 4,5 and 6yos, all the way to high school level. However, the training needs to be geared towards the age you're dealing with.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an LEO and MA I would welcome the chance to teach at a public/private school..Nothing fancy just the basics..

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
As an LEO and MA I would welcome the chance to teach at a public/private school..Nothing fancy just the basics..

Volunteer. Seriously, we had a number of Police and Fire Dept. personnel come to our schools as guest speakers. I personally learned more from one lecture by a California Highway Patrol Officer than I did in the four week "self-defence" coure I took as a P.E. elective in the eigth grade.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I also have to go with Andrew on this. Someone qualified needs to be brought in to teach any SD that may be offered in a gym class. Out of curiosity, what qualifications did the person teaching this class have?

I would also think that it would be best to have a timeline set up, not so short that training will not be able to be retained, but as others have said, due to budgets, I can't imagine it being approved for a long period of time.

As for the age...I think that any age level, ranging from 4,5 and 6yos, all the way to high school level. However, the training needs to be geared towards the age you're dealing with.

Mike

Outside of being their Physical Education teacher, I am not sure. I will try and find out.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they are qualified to do so yes, need to have some basic knowledge of what SD really is. Just not some PE teacher with a manual and reads it word for word.
Terry

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Volunteer. Seriously, we had a number of Police and Fire Dept. personnel come to our schools as guest speakers. I personally learned more from one lecture by a California Highway Patrol Officer than I did in the four week "self-defence" coure I took as a P.E. elective in the eigth grade.

Please..We are STILL attempting to drag the BOE in the burbs into to 21st Century in the way of school security...One thing at a time..

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Please..We are STILL attempting to drag the BOE in the burbs into to 21st Century in the way of school security...One thing at a time..

BOE?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone is a child and has no martial arts training of any kind, then self-defense should be taught to them in one way or another. Whether this means as an after-school program, or actually getting them to a different location to train, is up to the parents. Even though I strongly encourage it, I wouldn't want to make this mandatory.

I whole-heartedly agree with the above statements, that such training must be given by someone who is qualified to teach it. Whether this is your local law enforcement personnel, or a martial arts instructor matters not, as long as they know what they are doing. Having an unqualified instructor give such instruction (such as a PE teacher who read some of Ashida Kim's books), is akin to giving a soldier a rusty old rifle with gutted insides.

Furthermore, such training should encompass both awareness, presence, AND, most importantly, effective combative techniques, along with the mindset needed to do so. If someone needs to use self-defense techniques, then they'd better learn to apply such techniques, and apply them effectively. Simply teaching them to shout "No! Stop! Help!" isn't going to be enough, since an attacker would merely laugh at that. If they're going to learn self-defense, they should be taught efficient, effective striking techniques.

I would also hope that those who took such self-defense training, would want to come back for more, and hopefully enroll at one of the local martial arts establishments!

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First yes its a very good idea for a school to teach some kind of street wise program. Should it be M/a skilled. NO AND NO it should focus on being aware of how to attract attention to your self to get help. A loud yell or scream could work here. As for girls being abducted by larger stronger people. It is harder for them to effcetively defend . Sure solid basics can help. But learn to get away before a person can reach you or drag you to a car ect, Learning what to do when you feel threatened. does not involve hitting kicking biteing and such. it involves a clear mind on Because first you need to look at if selfdefence tools meet the need. They must be basic easy to do. Like groin attacks eye pokes bites when grabbed . Several M/A schools teach a womens selfdefences course that is not well thought out.using joint locks arm bars punches and kicks. would they work on the street for a person that is a intended target. a lot of that would not. screams for help running, learning not to walk alone learning to be aware works better. It takes time for a grown man to learn good self defence and it still does not mean he can handle a street fight or a mugging. .Now a young girl say 15 years old and a blackbelt at that she would still have problems defending off a attack from a person wanting to hurt her or rape her I have seen M/A schools after a attack on a local girl is in the news. jump on a advertised self defence course and promoted by demos on local news showing small girls about 11 years old being taught what boils down to unrealistic self defence for any body thats small and young to get working in a real life application. These people are supposed to be M/A instructors. they pick through there little knowledge of real life defence training and deturmine that works for children. while its hard to get it working for trained adults. But there Idea is it works. NOT smart. you have to give down to earth methods and focus on prevention first. Im sure you have seen the instructor working with a child on a defence method that looks good and he tells the child good your doing it. when he the instructor just went with the move not resisting letting the child get it off. Well a real life event the child finds out that move may have doomed them to not only be abducted perhaps raped but maybe killed. Very few self defence tools work for smaller children. But screams running and awareness now that helps them more. Attract attention to get help comes first. Just my 2 cents I give the school an A for trying to bring attention to a sad problem children face in todays world.

MardiGras Bandit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Schools should offer boxing and wrestling as gym courses. No one should be forced to take them, but they should be available and promoted. Both teach valuable fighting skills and instill a competitive mindset which will prepare a person in the event the need to use what they know.

I hate the kind of rape safe/street smart classes commonly taught at schools and colleges. In my opinion they are almost universally worthless (there might be a good one out there... maybe).

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Robert Lee said:
First yes its a very good idea for a school to teach some kind of street wise program. Should it be M/a skilled. NO AND NO it should focus on being aware of how to attract attention to your self to get help. A loud yell or scream could work here. As for girls being abducted by larger stronger people. It is harder for them to effcetively defend . Sure solid basics can help. But learn to get away before a person can reach you or drag you to a car ect, Learning what to do when you feel threatened. does not involve hitting kicking biteing and such. it involves a clear mind on Because first you need to look at if selfdefence tools meet the need. They must be basic easy to do. Like groin attacks eye pokes bites when grabbed . Several M/A schools teach a womens selfdefences course that is not well thought out.using joint locks arm bars punches and kicks. would they work on the street for a person that is a intended target. a lot of that would not. screams for help running, learning not to walk alone learning to be aware works better. It takes time for a grown man to learn good self defence and it still does not mean he can handle a street fight or a mugging. .Now a young girl say 15 years old and a blackbelt at that she would still have problems defending off a attack from a person wanting to hurt her or rape her I have seen M/A schools after a attack on a local girl is in the news. jump on a advertised self defence course and promoted by demos on local news showing small girls about 11 years old being taught what boils down to unrealistic self defence for any body thats small and young to get working in a real life application. These people are supposed to be M/A instructors. they pick through there little knowledge of real life defence training and deturmine that works for children. while its hard to get it working for trained adults. But there Idea is it works. NOT smart. you have to give down to earth methods and focus on prevention first. Im sure you have seen the instructor working with a child on a defence method that looks good and he tells the child good your doing it. when he the instructor just went with the move not resisting letting the child get it off. Well a real life event the child finds out that move may have doomed them to not only be abducted perhaps raped but maybe killed. Very few self defence tools work for smaller children. But screams running and awareness now that helps them more. Attract attention to get help comes first. Just my 2 cents I give the school an A for trying to bring attention to a sad problem children face in todays world.

I would have to agree with you. Even if a qualified instuctor comes in and covers the basic self-defense, 99% it would not be effective on someone 2-3 more the child's weight. Most abductors will use "trickery" before they will use a violent attack.

Teaching the child to make the correct decisions in strange or fearful situations is the way to go. Teach them not to be put in a situation where they can be harmed. Parents should also discuss possible scenarios and how the child should react. Phone numbers to call, houses to run to, best route to walk home, code words, etc.

Latest Discussions