Experience in a SD seminar

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I decided against leaving this post up, since some of you may know or be able to figure out what hospital I work at, and it wasn't exactly a positive post. Saving it in my email just in case I ever decide to post it, so if any of you want to read it I can pm it to you, but not leaving it out in public for now.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I decided against leaving this post up, since some of you may know or be able to figure out what hospital I work at, and it wasn't exactly a positive post. Saving it in my email just in case I ever decide to post it, so if any of you want to read it I can pm it to you, but not leaving it out in public for now.

Ok you have my curiosity.....please pm me it.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to read it

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sent! If anyone else wants to read it, let me know.
It's been my life's ambition to learn what hospital you work at, as of 15 seconds ago when I found out you worked at a hospital, and now I'm foiled.

But seriously, I wanna read it too

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Too tired to log onto my computer now, will send it to all of you in the morning

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, humor's no reason to waste good coffee![/QUO

And your keyboard will use not thank you either .................mind you it is always an excuse if your posts don't come out right lol....just blame it on the sticky keys ya spat the coffee on lol

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing your experience.
But also maybe we could all discuss in a non specific way that would not be pointed at any particular group how industry training fails.
For myself I have taught prison guards out side of the correctional system. They would come back from some of their state required training and talk about how useless it was. So why is that? I believe in part it is because state or company training is only provided for liability reasons to protect the institution and have no real interest in the application and effectiveness of what is being taught. Second; the program selection is often more about political connections then content and those in charge of the selection process have no more experience on the subject that what can be found on Google and netflix. But because they are "in charge" they have the self conflated image of being right.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But also maybe we could all discuss in a non specific way that would not be pointed at any particular group how industry training fails.
For myself I have taught prison guards out side of the correctional system. They would come back from some of their state required training and talk about how useless it was. So why is that? I believe in part it is because state or company training is only provided for liability reasons to protect the institution and have no real interest in the application and effectiveness of what is being taught. Second; the program selection is often more about political connections then content and those in charge of the selection process have no more experience on the subject that what can be found on Google and netflix. But because they are "in charge" they have the self conflated image of being right.

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head in your post.

I've attended seminars supposedly designed for the corporate world and well ...to me as you say it about covering liability more than anything. I am not saying that the instructors are all necessarily bad (some I have come across were in their own rights well versed martial artists) but how they distill things down into one two or three days is where most of the issues lie imo. I was at one that was supposedly teaching techs for the employees to have some form of SD training as one of the employees had been attacked on way home from work close to the building they worked in. I happened to be there as my late wife was an employee and I basically stuck my nose in (it ran over three nights).

What they "taught" was ok in as much as they did go into depth about the being aware sticking to populated areas trying to avoid unlit areas at night etc which is all standard stuff ...when it came to the tech they chose again basically nothing wrong essentially just imo how can you teach any person things in basically 6 hours (2 hour classes) that (a) they going to remember (b) they going to be able to apply (c) they are even able to apply ... not being critical overly but things to become second nature it takes a bit of time and sometimes individual attention to break things down as not all folks get things right off.

This is just my opinion but is corporations etc really want to "do" that for their staff etc then they would be much better doing so on a revolving basis as in like people attend a class every week , do it that way so it is revolving and things can be looked at on an ongoing basis and also any individual concerns can be addressed etc as opposed to running the "token" SD lecture but that just my opinion.

And yes it is all down to the people who control the money what is offered and a snazy website they look at can sway people into choosing that company to provide ...and as you rightly said if the finance guys really don't know then not always are they gonna make the right choice

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is certainly true of the training given to hospital staff.
I always attend, because it's mandatory. But I spend most of the time facepalming and biting my tongue.

Latest Discussions