FMAT: Weakness in sysytems and styles

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Weakness in sysytems and styles
By Killbot - 02-28-2010 10:35 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

A guy I train and I were jabbering randomly about different martial arts and I was discussing helping a guy with his boxing. He was a wrestler for a long time and my buddy said something that stuck with me. He said, Alot of wrestlers are very good and have trained themselves so they are pretty much invulnerable to takedowns. But as much as they excell in wrestling, being a great example of wrestling, they expose the weakness inherent in the style."

This got me to thinking. Wrestling, with its head forward, feet wide stance, is not conducive to striking postures. (This was the exact problem the guy I was working on boxing was having trouble with.) Brazilian Jiujitsu, with its emphasis on ground work and its grappling postures, has an obvious striking weakness. Boxing, with its high stance and deep cover has its obvious weakness in grounded movement and being vulnerable to takedowns.

So, experts and diletantes, what sorts of weaknesses do you see inherent in FMAs in general and style specifically?

Personally, I find traditional FMAs lack effective grappling, take downs and groundfighting. (Even the Dumog I've seen is pretty lacking) Also, some styles have a lack of power in favor of speed and multiple strikes.

(To each his own and I'm not trying to criticize, I'm looking more for information and opinions. I train to specifically fill holes I see in what I've learned.)

What do you think? Thanks!

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed