What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
HEY!!!! What you got against soccer...
And we’ve gone full circle. The very first controversial opinion posted in this thread:

I'll start with something I've kept inside for a really long time, but it's time to say it: Soccer isn't really a sport. It's a way for uncoordinated kids to get some exercise, and a little sunshine.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And we’ve gone full circle. The very first controversial opinion posted in this thread:

Never known a pro I guess you anti-soccerist :)

but seriously, my best friend in high school ended up a pro-soccer player... and man, he was deadly with a soccer ball....could take out his sisters idiot boyfriend a 200 feet, no problem...

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No values are objective: they are all subjective, and those that we think are objective are just popular with our group.

For example, pineapple on pizza is not objectively disgusting: it's only disgusting to the group that finds it so.

Now, if we define a value in an objective way, then that value, based on that definition, can be objective. For example, the Toronto Maple Leafs can be said to be a bad team because they rarely win (or haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967), if we define a good team by their number of wins, or by how recently they won a championship.

Carry on.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You mean other than it's boring?
As someone who loves almost any sport-less boring than baseball. In baseball you're spending half the time waiting for a pitch to be made/hit, while 90% of the team is waiting for the same. In soccer the ball is always in motion, and even the people not involved in a play are trying to get into the right positioning. It's basically hockey but using your feet rather than sticks, more strategy, and less violence.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No values are objective: they are all subjective, and those that we think are objective are just popular with our group.

For example, pineapple on pizza is not objectively disgusting: it's only disgusting to the group that finds it so.
No, pineapple on pizza is objectively disgusting. Those who think otherwise are just sick and twisted, that's all there is to it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, pineapple on pizza is objectively disgusting. Those who think otherwise are just sick and twisted, that's all there is to it.
Certainly not the first time I've been described as sick and twisted. :)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Now, if we define a value in an objective way, then that value, based on that definition, can be objective. For example, the Toronto Maple Leafs can be said to be a bad team because they rarely win (or haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967), if we define a good team by their number of wins, or by how recently they won a championship.

Carry on.
I think it’s worth distinguishing between a value and an opinion. integrity is a value. Courage and service are values. Some values can be negative, like avarice.

Personally I think values are pretty objective, but could agree that how they are prioritized is subjective.

Opinions are all over the place.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As someone who loves almost any sport-less boring than baseball. In baseball you're spending half the time waiting for a pitch to be made/hit, while 90% of the team is waiting for the same. In soccer the ball is always in motion, and even the people not involved in a play are trying to get into the right positioning. It's basically hockey but using your feet rather than sticks, more strategy, and less violence.
What you need is Banana Ball, it's the new baseball played down south.

Amongst the rules.....

Who ever wins an inning gets 1 point.
Two hour time limit for the game.
Batters may not step out of the batters box.
No bunting.
No visits to the mound.
Batters can steal first base.
If a fan catches the baseball, it's an out.

There's a few more, but those are what I remember. I saw part of a game on TV, it was way cool.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You attempt to utilize an old Bruce Lee clip against an even older Bruce Lee fan?

(You must now visualize the following response with the video not matching the audio...)

"You....must be....tired...of living."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You attempt to utilize an old Bruce Lee clip against an even older Bruce Lee fan?

(You must now visualize the following response with the video not matching the audio...)

"You....must be....tired...of living."

giphy.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As a Martial Artist, and someone who loves and appreciates movies more than anyone I know, I LOVE that clip above.

Almost makes me want to make Bruce Lee movie sounds. Almost.

Makes me want to go back and train JKD...which I was expressly told by the retina surgeon to stop

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Makes me want to go back and train JKD...which I was expressly told by the retina surgeon to stop

Could you wear safety goggles or something like that?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Ross is an imposter.
The style of painting and the show itself was created by Bill Alexander. The network executives didn't like Bill because he was German with an accent. Bob learned from Bill and the executives fired Bill and put soft spoken hippy Bob in his place. Thus Bob Ross became famous off the back and hard work of an old German imigrant. While Bill died heart broken and faded into obscurity.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Bob Ross is an imposter.
The style of painting and the show itself was created by Bill Alexander. The network executives didn't like Bill because he was German with an accent. Bob learned from Bill and the executives fired Bill and put soft spoken hippy Bob in his place. Thus Bob Ross became famous off the back and hard work of an old German imigrant. While Bill died heart broken and faded into obscurity.

Yeah. It's Bob's fault Bill Alexander never hit it big. Maybe his charisma translates better in person:

Latest Discussions