What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Controversial opinion...

I think boxing promotor Don King and a certain orange hued man from Florida are the same person.
Weird haircuts, never an entire sentence without falsehoods, steals money, giant a-holes.

And if you think about it, ever see them together?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it’s worth distinguishing between a value and an opinion. integrity is a value. Courage and service are values. Some values can be negative, like avarice.

Personally I think values are pretty objective, but could agree that how they are prioritized is subjective.

Opinions are all over the place.
Sort of ... courage is a behaviour: you act with courage against your fears. Integrity is a state of integration between actions or between attitude and behaviour: your actions integrate with your attitude, or your behaviour integrates with your professed beliefs. Service is acting for the benefit of another, or others.

Yes, most of us value those qualities, or behaviours. The fact that not all of us value them (look around these days) means that they are subjective. The fact that most of us value them means they are based on consensus, or social necessity: they are prosocial, or good for society as a whole. But not everyone values them, and they do not serve all individuals (again, look around: bad and antisocial behaviour is still rewarded).

That's what I meant. Thanks for reading.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Controversial fact....

Do not, under any circumstances, completely trust your bank, or any bank.

Their mission statement is to screw you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Controversial fact....

Do not, under any circumstances, completely trust your bank, or any bank.

Their mission statement is to screw you.

well it can also be said...
Do not, under any circumstances, completely trust a tree.
Their goal is to jump you when you least expect it. .

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
well it can also be said...
Do not, under any circumstances, completely trust a tree.
Their goal is to jump you when you least expect it. .
You can keep them away with a handful of sawdust. They tremble so much their leaves shake.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You can keep them away with a handful of sawdust. They tremble so much their leaves shake.

NO!!! that is how you anger them...and then...WHAMMO!!! they are on you... I know...it has happened to me....a few times... that is why I use to hit them...to keep them in line

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NO!!! that is how you anger them...and then...WHAMMO!!! they are on you... I know...it has happened to me....a few times... that is why I use to hit them...to keep them in line
Don't let the Ents hear you say that. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Controversial opinion...

I think boxing promotor Don King and a certain orange hued man from Florida are the same person.
Weird haircuts, never an entire sentence without falsehoods, steals money, giant a-holes.

And if you think about it, ever see them together?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-201110_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-201110_Google.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 33

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You Tube videos that welcome the viewer with “Hey guys, wha’s uh?” should immediately be skipped regardless of any other factor.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going by modern or historical definitions here? If you're going by modern, then your statement about literally/figuratively is accurate, but decimate is not, since it's now in dictionaries with the definition to destroy something completely (in better words). If you're going by historical, you're right that decimate is 10%, but then you should only view literally as literal.
Charles Dickens (and many others around his time) used ‘literally’ in the same manner as reality show amebae. Decimate comes from the Latin
1661675129653.png

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Charles Dickens (and many others around his time) used ‘literally’ in the same manner as reality show amebae. Decimate comes from the Latin
View attachment 28822

And Latin is Roman and to Romans decimate meant "kill one in every ten". Which is a reduction of 10%...by killing 10% of the group it was used on.

Current, commonly used meaning is

kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Narcan shouldn't be available to anyone. You want to do too much? Go ahead.

Mass shooters? Their parents should be charged with their crimes. Want kids, raise them right. If they're crazy, drown them.

Is that controversial enough?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have equally poor parents here in the U.K., maybe even poorer than in the USA. And yet there are hardly any mass shootings in the U.K….very rare indeed. So it can’t be solely down to bad parenting. Now, what’s the other major difference between the U.K. and the USA that might account for fewer shootings in the U.K. compared to the USA? 🤔 What could it be? If only I could work it out…😉

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Narcan shouldn't be available to anyone. You want to do too much? Go ahead.

Mass shooters? Their parents should be charged with their crimes. Want kids, raise them right. If they're crazy, drown them.

Is that controversial enough?
Pretty controversial.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naloxone (Narcan) is also used in hospitals for accidental clinician-mediated opiate overdose!

Many years ago, we had an actor on the ward (he was in ‘Skippy the Bush Kangaroo’ if you remember that!). His post-operative morphine pump’s dose lock hadn’t been set and he gave himself so much morphine he was on the verge of death through asphyxiation (morphine suppresses respiratory effort). I gave him naloxone and within seconds he was wide awake clutching his chest wound, swearing and shouting for painkillers! He made a full recovery and went home eventually.

Many years later, I’m in A&E with a kidney stone. It seems I’m very sensitive to the low dose of morphine they’ve given me and am not breathing sufficiently to remain adequately oxygenated. They’re going to give me naloxone but I protest as I don’t want to be back in pain again! So my lovely other half (a consultant physician) watches over me and if I don’t take a breath she nudges me and shouts, “BREATHE!” until the morphine wears off a bit 😀

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pretty controversial.
Ugly what I wrote, wasn't it? But wait, it gets worse.....

If you go down the list of mass shootings at U.S. schools, most of the killers turned the guns on themselves after killing classmates and teachers. Several others were killed by police, and a few were taken into custody alive.

Two are now out of prison. They were arrested in a state that, at the time, could not charge juveniles as adults (the law in that state as since been changed) But they probably learned their lesson in Juvie lockup. Or have they?

One has since been arrested with….wait for it…. an illegal handgun. The other is now applying for a concealed carry permit under a different name - which he legally changed. And unlike registered sex offenders, nobody who ends up living next to them will even know they're there. There is currently no registration for “freed mass murderers”. Until they go off again, which I’ll bet my thumbs they do. Maybe they’ll live next to one of us. Or next to one of our grown children and their babies. Nobody will even know they’re there. Until you know when.

If you don't think there's a chance of that, my brother, go talk to Santa Claus. :)

Latest Discussions