What's your area of study?

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this Forum and so far really enjoying the excellent topics.

I'm curious about some of the members here and what martial art(s) or self-defense systems you train.

Also, if you run or are a student of a school, could you include your school website?

Thanks! Look forward to meeting you all!

Matt

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome to MT. I too joined recently. I study Taekwondo at a Karate studio in the states!

Emilie (DW)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.... I have studied a lot of Chinese Martial Arts, mostly those labeled internal. Currently I am pretty much Yang Taijiquan with a dash of Wing Chun. I teach and I am also taught, but being pretty traditional CMA there are no school websites

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Matt. I focus mostly on BJJ these days (with a bit of Muay Thai, Sombo, and Judo on the side). I train and help teach at 4 Seasons Martial Arts in Lexington: Four Seasons Martial Arts Kentucky s premier home for MMA and Jiu-Jitsu

I've played around with a lot of systems over the years. I recently went back and estimated my training times over the last 33 years to be something like the following:

5000+ hours BJJ
2000+ hours Muay Thai
1500+ hours Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
600+ hours Yudansha Fighting Systems (a Danzan ryu spinoff)
400+ hours Judo
400+ hours Boxing
300+ hours SCA heavy weapons fighting
100+ hours Kali (various flavors)
10 - 100 hours each TKD, Bando, Tai Chi, Karate, Sambo, Wrestling
less than 10 hours each Silat, Wing Chun, JKD, Capoeira, Shaolin Do, HEMA

I'm interested in just about everything, but there aren't enough hours in the day to work on all of it.

OP
Matt Bryers

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice Tony! We have a similar background!

Hi, Matt. I focus mostly on BJJ these days (with a bit of Muay Thai, Sombo, and Judo on the side). I train and help teach at 4 Seasons Martial Arts in Lexington: Four Seasons Martial Arts Kentucky s premier home for MMA and Jiu-Jitsu

I've played around with a lot of systems over the years. I recently went back and estimated my training times over the last 33 years to be something like the following:

5000+ hours BJJ
2000+ hours Muay Thai
1500+ hours Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
600+ hours Yudansha Fighting Systems (a Danzan ryu spinoff)
400+ hours Judo
400+ hours Boxing
300+ hours SCA heavy weapons fighting
100+ hours Kali (various flavors)
10 - 100 hours each TKD, Bando, Tai Chi, Karate, Sambo, Wrestling
less than 10 hours each Silat, Wing Chun, JKD, Capoeira, Shaolin Do, HEMA

I'm interested in just about everything, but there aren't enough hours in the day to work on all of it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice Tony! We have a similar background!
Unfortunately, I'm not nearly as badass as my resume might make it seem. I'm naturally a klutzy, non-athletic wuss, so I spent several years just catching up to the point where an average person might start out in terms of fighting ability.

I think it does make me a better teacher, though. I understand all the struggles my more "remedial" students go through, because I've been through them myself.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi, Mr. Bryers and welcome!

I teach Taekwondo as our primary martial art, kinda like a major in college. We also do a little cross-training with aikido, ju-jitsu, escrima, etc., kinda like elective courses that round out the major.

Our school's website is Home West Houston ATA Martial Arts

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been practicing American Karate for over forty years. Punching, kicking, grappling and controlling are most of what we do. (BJJ based grappling) Some basic weapons, knives mostly. I've trained in a lot of things since the beginning, never instead of American karate, always in addition to. And we steal everything. :)

We are an evolving Art, we're young compared to most. Spent my career in Law Enforcement as a DT instructor, so there's a lot of that in there. I've been fortunate to have trained under great instructors. (Luckier than I deserve, but hey.)

I'll post a website soon. Being redone now. With an eye towards marketing. It's one of the few things I never taught my students because I know nothing about it. It was always word of mouth back in the day and the places were always jam packed. But it seems the very thing that drew people thirty years ago, now scares them away. Go figure.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You've got a lot of folks from a lot of different backgrounds here which is awesome. I like that you see a lot of different perspectives.

- 2 1/2 yrs Shuri-ryu karate (purple belt/4th kyu) I think I had put in like 400 hrs when I quit
- 1 yr private study.. maybe 150-200 hrs... Bak Sil Lum and Tai Chi Praying Mantis
- 6 months private study... maybe 75-100 hrs... Chen family Tai Chi/Laojia
- 1 1/2 yrs BJJ... this is my main focus right now with maybe 150 hrs of mat time... been doing a lot of traveling but am back home so should really be able to put a lot more time on the mat

This is all class room time. I'm a person who likes to drill/study technique on my own so with everything I put at least the same amount of time not in the class room. Especially BJJ, my mat time has been limited... so I've spent probably 200-300 hrs watching instructional videos/doing drills on my own.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
been in the arts 50+ years and 40+ of which have been under other instructors. I have taught for over 30 years while learning from anyone that as willing to instruct me or any one I could steal a useful technique from. I have studied 2 main styles for most of that time but have studied others some of which I have rank in

At the present time I instruct for free at a local Salvation Army. They give me the space and time to tech and I am Part of their emergency response team as well as giving my time to them for any other thing they may need. And no I am not a member of their organization.
Sikaran.net

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1 year + and counting in Chen Style Taijiquan. Previous experience in Tae Kwon Do, Judo and a bit of Southern Shaolin kung fu.

My school has no dedicated website and we train at a small Pavilion atop a small knoll in the midst of Public Housing Apartments.

I'm starting to find that Taijiquan and Judo are rather complementary... just modified a Tai Otoshi move with Taiji Sinking and Structure during push hands and it was amazingly effective!!!! *psyched*

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started taekwondo as a child, in 1968 or 69 and that is still my primary art. My original TKD training was ITF, but since it was taken on various Air Force bases around the world under multiple instructors, there were no doubt other influences. I currently train and teach in a Moo Duk Kwan school at the local YMCA because I prefer a non-commercial school.
I've had lesser amounts of training in various other arts, primarily aikijujutsu, kenjutsu, and ChicChic Pow. And (like Tony) I spent some time doing European sword in the SCA. In my case it was primarily rapier. I also learned a bit about bladesmithing in the SCA.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing 3 years
Wrestling 6 years
Shotokan 3 years
TKD 1 year
Goju Ru 1 year
Wing Chun over 40 years
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali 23 years
Muay Thai 20 years
Silat 6 years
Tai Chi 8 years
JKD 15 years off and on
Combat Submission Wrestling 4 years
BJJ, (dabble in it a few times a year for the past 15 years)
Opened my school in 1997. I instruct Wing Chun, Pekiti-Tirsia, Muay Thai, JKD, some Silat and Tai Chi
Progressive Martial Arts

OP
Matt Bryers

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a good mix! Always evolving...good ****.

Be cool to see your site! My site is one of the best assets I use for helping my school grow.

I've been practicing American Karate for over forty years. Punching, kicking, grappling and controlling are most of what we do. (BJJ based grappling) Some basic weapons, knives mostly. I've trained in a lot of things since the beginning, never instead of American karate, always in addition to. And we steal everything. :)

We are an evolving Art, we're young compared to most. Spent my career in Law Enforcement as a DT instructor, so there's a lot of that in there. I've been fortunate to have trained under great instructors. (Luckier than I deserve, but hey.)

I'll post a website soon. Being redone now. With an eye towards marketing. It's one of the few things I never taught my students because I know nothing about it. It was always word of mouth back in the day and the places were always jam packed. But it seems the very thing that drew people thirty years ago, now scares them away. Go figure.

OP
Matt Bryers

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice site / school!

Boxing 3 years
Wrestling 6 years
Shotokan 3 years
TKD 1 year
Goju Ru 1 year
Wing Chun over 40 years
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali 23 years
Muay Thai 20 years
Silat 6 years
Tai Chi 8 years
JKD 15 years off and on
Combat Submission Wrestling 4 years
BJJ, (dabble in it a few times a year for the past 15 years)
Opened my school in 1997. I instruct Wing Chun, Pekiti-Tirsia, Muay Thai, JKD, some Silat and Tai Chi
Progressive Martial Arts

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I primarily do Pekiti-Tirsia kali these days, and I run a small group that allows me to explore different aspects of the art. Used to be a kenpo instructor, and have the usual mishmash of various background systems, nothing I really ranked in though. Link for the website is in my signature.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! I currently Study Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do (but we call it TKD) Our schools style definitely has some influence from Hapkido and TKD. I've trained in Boxing and Wrestling prior to TKD, and have learned a minuscule amount of BJJ. I would absolutely love to Study one of the grappling/rolling styles more deeply, but I dont have the time or money right now to add that on, I can barely make times spar and roll with my old wrestling friends and folks I've met solely to spar outside of my school.

One day I would love to open a branch school, and I would teach more grappling as thats part of my experience, just like how many of our higher ups who were enlisted passes on techs they learned in the military.

Heres the link to the main site, it doesnt go to deep into the branch schools however as the main school in Charleston is the focus:
Grand Master S.H. Kang S.H. Kang s Tae Kwon Do Academy

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Growing up in a small town I never had the chance to train in any martial arts even though I desperately wanted too. Went to college and actually joined the Karate team for about a 1.5 years. Joined a bjj/mma gym after that and tried to do both karate and bjj/mma but just didn't have the time. I was there for about 2.5 years(got my blue belt and competed twice in amateur mma). Moved in 2012 after graduating and because funds were low couldn't do much of anything. Finally was able to start training judo which have been at for about 1.5 years.

Cliffs
Karate(not sure of the exact style) - 1.5 years (yellow belt) with about 3 tournaments
bjj - 2.5 years (blue belt) and participated in 2 tournaments
mma - 2.5 years and 2 fights
judo - 1.5 years (green belt) and 2 tournaments

Currently back in school and bought a new house so training is sparse. Hoping to be able to attend more and potentially start a little bjj or tae kwon do again soon.

Latest Discussions