What's your area of study?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt,

I teach (and learn) Hapkido both local and remotely. My website is my signature. It's great to have you here.

EklectikButterfly

White Belt
Reaction score
I just earned my high blue belt in Tang Soo Do. Love it. LOOOOVE IT! I take classes with my 11 year old daughter. We go to a fantastic school in Arvada, Colorado. :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My core style is Wado Ryu Karate, started in 2004 and loved it ever since. We recently joined the Shizendo organization and are in the process of restructuring our curriculum which also has Goju Ryu and Tai Chi influences.

My other main style is Ju Jitsu, started training in the Ju Jitsu Norway system in 2005. The training is quite self defense oriented.
This dojo also offers BJJ, I take a class now and then and more lately.

I have done Kobudo (Katori Shinto Ryu) and Nihon Goshin Ryu for a limited time, I enjoyed the experience but decided to pursue other arts.

There are some elements of FMA in both my Karate and Ju Jitsu training, lately I have been practicing some Kali Sikaran (sp?) with a friend who is graded and I plan to attend camps. No time for regular classes with all the other stuff I am doing but it is a nice additional interest and fun to swing some sticks for a change.

How do I find the time for all this? No life outside the dojo :D

Karatetrening for store og sm hos Shigan Karateklubb i Oslo Shigan Karateklubb
Velkommen
Shizendo Karate Home
JU JITSU NORGE Norges ledende Ju Jitsu stilartssamarbeid
OSLO JU JITSU KLUBB MUDO ILA Ju Jitsu Norge Systemet Brasiliansk Ju Jitsu Kettlebelt Kickboxing

Sorry if most of those links are not available in english.

Last edited:

adamwentz0000

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello welcome, i practice primarily taekwondo but also train in bjj as well as krav maga

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I practice Aikikai (USAF) Aikido now predominately. Also now practicing koryu, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido along with Seitei Iaido in addition to the Aikido.

I have practiced:

TKD- age 12 for 1.5 years
Wrestling- greco-roman, 2.5 years in junior high into high school
Boxing- age 17-19
Kickboxing- age 16-18
Military unarmed combat- US Navy/Marines (Corpsman stationed with recon, training at multiple levels including FMF, recon training, SERE, etc.)

Took a long break from fighting arts and only restarted about 2 years ago. I'm 44 now, a lot less flexible, but a lot stronger.

Kindest,

Mike

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
So you were SARC or pushing Vitamin M and sticking needles at H&S?

wildpsyd

White Belt
Reaction score
I trained in Shotokan for about 8 years but ultimately found it limited for a litigious 21st century US. Switched to Isshin-ryu in 2001 and absolutely love it! Versatile and an emphasis on options other than causing severe physical trauma to one's opponent. I currently hold a 4th degree. In 2008 I added the study of Kenpo to my training and found it to be a nice expansion to my style; I currently have earned a 2nd degree.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun, and just started Aikido and Eskrima/Kali.
I'm not experienced in any of them yet, but I feel that I have a decent foundation in Wing Chun at least.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been in the martial arts for 55 years. During that time I've managed to earn black belts in quite a few martial arts: karate to kickboxing, aikido to Yusool and jujitsu to taekwondo. I'm a member of Midori Yama Budokai, Martial Arts USA, American Kukido Federation, Aiki Tora Ryu, United States Judo Association and am registered with the Kukkiwan. I taught for many years and finally sold my school which is now AKF Athens Martial Arts.

I am currently an 8th degree grandmaster (Hanshi) - usually earned only at 9th - and though permanently disabled, still remain as active as I can. Sites: martialartsusa.com midoriyamabudokai.com

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have 4 years of Judo under my belt, two with the Keysi Fighting Method, and have attended scattered seminars on Krav Maga and Russian Systema.

Since relocating to pursue graduate school, I've had the privilege of studying Russian Sambo. I'm in St. Petersburg under the tutelage of a former student of the legendary Alexander Barakov.

marysson

White Belt
Reaction score
Hapkido and JKD at present.
Dabbled in Tae Kwon Do, Judo, and Boxing.

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome!
You can call me a long time self defense student always ready to learn more, particularly situational self defense techniques,using the environment to ones advantage and improvising weapons .
All martial arts interest me but not for sporting for pure defense only, Kajukenbo and Krav Maga I find very interesting.
I live in a country often troubled by crime and terrorism attacks so I need to be very vigilant.

Last edited:

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never considered parallels between Liechtenauer longsword and Wing Chun. Care to extrapolate?

They're very, very similar, if not identical in principle and approach. Controlling the centerline via direct lines of attack, simultaneous offense and defense, and the manner in which they utilize and respond to pressure in a bind or "bridge."

I know that sounds very vague and generalized, but we can get very specific if you have some familiarity with Wing Chun, and then we can go through the Dobringer text, and the plays of Danzig and Ringeck, etc. They are similar in what they're trying to accomplish, and how they're trying to accomplish it almost to the letter. The only difference is that you're working with empty hands versus a longsword, which leads to them looking fairly different on the surface -- but, that's just superficial. The mechanics are different, but the method and principles are the same -- so much so that I feel that it's very beneficial if you study one, to study the other.