What's a good technique?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A good technique is a technique that should work with high percentage. As long as your speed and timing are there, even if your "ability" is not there yet, that technique should still work for you. After a teacher teaches that technique to a new student, if the new student uses it in sparring against his teacher, it should work on that teacher.

I don't think there's any technique that I can teach my students on day 1 that will work against me. Their speed and timing will not be there. They will not know the details to make the technique work. And - and this is a big one - they will not know many other techniques, so I know what is most likely coming.

I also don't think that a technique being low percentage makes it a bad technique. It's a good practice as a fighter to know which of your techniques are low vs. high percentage. It's a good practice as a teacher to teach beginners high percentage techniques. But a technique being low percentage doesn't make it a good technique.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you can, please share how you are making a fist and what parts of the fist you are hitting with when doing your circular punches. Certain parts of the fist are used with certain circular punches. Don't be like Chuck Liddell. Get that punch wrong and you'll either mess up your hand or your wrist
You mean this is wrong?

I don't know, I search youtube and I follow this. I'll wait for you experts to comment first then.

Thanks for the warning. I did not practice much, I only swing a few. Like I said, I am on strike this week.

Thanks

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You mean this is wrong?

I don't know, I search youtube and I follow this. I'll wait for you experts to comment first then.

Thanks for the warning. I did not practice much, I only swing a few. Like I said, I am on strike this week.

Thanks
Yeah that fist punch is wrong. I usually don't say someone wrong when doing a technique but thumb down like that will create all sorts of problems.

They punch like that because they only know one way to make a fist and only know 2 knuckles to hit with.

I'll make a quick video for you. That will at least keep you from damaging your tendons and ligaments.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
about circular punch. I never even heard of this in my time.
Besides to use hook punch to hit on your opponent, you can use hook punch to

1. knock down your opponent's jab-cross.
2. grab your opponent's wrist.
3. pull your opponent's head guard down (like downward parry).
4. create a head lock.
5. set up your under hook.
6. ...

The hook punch is a great link to integrate striking art and the grappling art.

Last edited:

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Only sort of. There are positional tricks that give you more time to react.

And telegraphing can increase your reaction time.
I have responded to your concern as the following:

Your opponent pushes your chest, if you

- can grab his hand, when he moves back his arm, your grabbing will pull you into your opponent since your body and your opponent's body are linked as one unit..
- can't grab his hand, if you move in faster than he can pull his hand back, his hand will be caught between your body and his body. His hand will have no place to go.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this technique - hide your head behind your big fist, extend your arms, and run toward your opponent like a mad man.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First of all for somebody to attack you and push you using his hands to your chest, we would assume that you would see him coming being his center mass is approaching your center mass. I can’t say with a man Will or will do, but I can’t say when he can Cant do. Depending on the distance that I notice his intention (which would be dictated by the speed of his approach) First off You would have to understand that momentum is not continuous. There is gravity at the end of each of the aggressors steps. If momentum could override gravity, you could fly. So each step starts with the least amount of force, then when the advancing foot is about to hit the ground he is at his strongest. If you ever seen A man committed to his forward progress with the intention of a forceful shove, you would notice that as he ends the the 2nd of 3 steps (By the way, if a man approaches you had a fast pace from a distance of A little more than 8 feet) you will notice that it is three steps in order to have forceful impact at a high rate of speed. However it is at the end of the second step that the body prepares It’s weight distribution and arm movements in order to commit to the heavy shove. Under these circumstances, I would advance just as his second step is starting to hit the ground. This would startle him for a moment and freeze his body while gravity takes over. This is called a flexor withdrawal reflex. Not unlike you walking towards the door quickly and someone starts to open it from the other side unexpectedly forcing you to have gravity deplete your momentum As you end the second step. So is your body completes the second step, It is at a State of shock. Momentum has ended and gravity has taken over. And he is in a momentary state of shock. He is also unable to advance because he has Scott no more Momentum going into the final step being that gravity has taken over. So his body is frozen for that moment we advanced due to the startle of your advance. Gravity has stopped him in place and I have already stepped forward so that I can catch him with a rear leg front kick as he is Defenseless for that moment. I would deliver the kick to the solar plexus region based on the forward angle of his body. Being that he is not anticipating the forward movement I am making, the startle reflex Will make him unable to defend himself for that moment impact. It was sort of resemble you Driving your car away from a red light after a turned green and getting about 6 feet and noticing a car pull out in front of you. Your body would freeze up as you’re reflex slammed on the brakes. For that moment that you didn’t expect that card to come out in front of you, your instincts went right to the brakes in order to give you time to stop. Your arms lock holding the steering wheel tightly as you now notice that airbag coming out to hit you and there’s nothing you can do about it. If you’ve Seen airbags after the fact, especially ones that had hit a woman , You’ll notice her face print with make up dead center to the airbag with no time to turn their heads or get their arms off the steering wheel. The bottom line is knowing when a person is vulnerable based on distance and preparing with the correct weapon to defend with. If the person advances slower The vulnerability changes and do you have time to change weapons. So as he comes from 3 steps away and slowly takes his next step, I then prepare with my weapon in case he wants to accelerate rapidly from the distance he would be at which would be approximately 6 feet. Different vulnerability on fast movement and a different defense to go with it. I would be more than happy to go in to greater detail with you. You can text me at 631-796-1474 and I can show you the opponents reactions and reflexes and explain how and why they work and your convenience. All I ask is that you text me the day before so I can set up a time. Respectfully, Grandmaster Willing

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Respectfully Mr. Kung Fu Wang, I appreciate you answering for me, to drop bear, But I would like to respond to him personally.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah that fist punch is wrong. I usually don't say someone wrong when doing a technique but thumb down like that will create all sorts of problems.

They punch like that because they only know one way to make a fist and only know 2 knuckles to hit with.

I'll make a quick video for you. That will at least keep you from damaging your tendons and ligaments.
Please go to my new thread on circle punch, I don't want to hijack this thread.

What is circle punch?

Thanks

Latest Discussions