What's a good technique?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now if you want to suprise someone doing TKD, the art of making and throwing a moltov seems like it would do the trick, they'll never see it coming. :p Barebones and simple.
Molotovs? Nope, unreliable on a mat, octagon or ring without a hard floor. They don't always break. But when they do ...well then nobody wants to take it to the ground!!! Jits in a puddle of burning gas and broken glass is only for the real tough guys.

Least that's my experience.

...Did I mention that I suffered from pyromania long before I took up the martial arts? :)

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A person without MA training won't know how to take advantage on his opponent's move. After he knows how to do it, to break someone's finger is that that hard.

Information is the key. If you have the right key, to open the right lock takes no effort.
What you show is unrealistic, you are the expert, I am not. You can have someone push you as if he means it. Don't tell you when he is going to push, he can push any time, quick and hard. I want to see you do what you show.

You cannot just have the other person pretend to push and leave the hand on your chest relax waiting for you to do the twisting!!! Don't give false sense of security to the student and they stupidly go out and start some fight thinking they can handle it.

Like I said, I am not an expert, but if I really want to push you, I would push very hard and pull my hands back before you can even touch my hands. AND don't give people the false sense that the opponent doesn't have any fight training. I rather over estimate than under estimate the opponent.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, a Wing Chun straight punch can circle (from top to bottom) and work like this. If you angle, punching in from the outside gate, you can pick off straight punches pretty well, not unlike what you are doing here.

...but it's not something a beginner can do right away. Even an experienced martial artist usually needs some time to get comfortable with our vertical fist, elbow-down punching method. Your method might require less time to adapt.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, a Wing Chun straight punch can circle (from top to bottom) and work like this. If you angle, punching in from the outside gate, you can pick off straight punches pretty well, not unlike what you are doing here.

...but it's not something a beginner can do right away. Even an experienced martial artist usually needs some time to get comfortable with our vertical fist, elbow-down punching method. Your method might require less time to adapt.
This is all about muscle memory and reflex, it takes time to master. Just a simple parrying a punch, you cannot get simpler than that. But it will still take time for a beginner to be able to do that in the fighting. There's no time to think, everything is reflex. Those complicate moves like grabbing the hand to twist when the opponent pushing you on your chest takes much more complicate movement. It will take even more time to practice to become natural reflex.

In my situation, I am not in any school, I practice on my own. I forgo all the defensive moves as I don't have any partner to practice, I will not develop any better defense move other than what I got when I was in school long time ago. I give up all that. Instead, I concentrate on practicing punching like multiple punches, mix punch and kicks, footwork of going in and attack, then step back, to the side to prevent from being counter attack. Practicing on heavy bag to hit hard and kick hard. Practice head movement with punches so my head doesn't stay still and become an easy target. Forget all the blocking and all the fancy moves. Just down to the basics, concentrate on movement I can control like attack sequence and move around.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if I really want to push you, I would push very hard and pull my hands back before you can even touch my hands.
This is why when your opponent pushes on your chest, you should

- grab on his hand, and
- move in.

If you can move in faster than your opponent's hand can move back, you can still control his hand.

When you throw a punch and then pull your punch back, if your opponent moves in and try to wrap your upper arm, as long as your opponent can move in faster than you can pull your punching arm back, he can still wrap the upper arm of your punching arm. Your punch pulling may control the distance, your opponent's forward footwork also control the distance.

Of course if you step back, that will be different. Many years ago a friend of mine said, "If I keep moving back and remain distance, none of your technique will work on me". His comment had bothered me for many years. I then realize that if I can put a hook on him and link his body and my body together, his moving back will pull me into him.

So the solution can be:

- You move in faster than your opponent can move back, or
- You grab on his body, and link your body and his body as one unit.

Last edited:

Kultmaster

White Belt
Reaction score
Some MA systems define ability as strength/power. Some MA systems may include speed as part of the ability. Since timing depends on 2 persons reaction, it may be hard to include it as part of the ability. IMO, the ability is what you develop at home by yourself without training partner.

When I found out that my students could deflect my jab/cross with their circular punches, I wished my teacher could teach me the circular punch on the 1st day of my training. Today, that's the 1st technique that I will teach to my new students.

When you are not afraid of jab/cross, you will have more courage, everything will then move toward your advantage.

Well that looks like beginner technique alright.

Kultmaster

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes. Even some of the NGA techniques I label "esoteric" (shorthand for principle training, not an actual technique with direct application) can easily be used in this kind of situation. In fact, that's exactly how they ARE used in training.
Oh crap, what Kind of forum is this. See why I chose Kultmaster as a pseudo... if a moderateur/staff membre is talking about "esoteric" techniques I guess it's time for me to move on to better things.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's not the question whether it's a good technique, but most likely it's not going to work for beginners from day one. It takes constant practice and become a reflex. You talk as if it's so easy, that you learn it and you can apply on day one.

To me, unless you have people practicing with you over and over, actually sparring with it, I would not be so confident saying that this is good. This is all action, not for talking.

If I were to teach people, I start with the most most basic things, concentrating on body conditioning and strength training to build a solid foundation instead of giving people a false hope of being able to defend themselves from an attacker from day one.

Hell, if I want to attack you, I would not push you, I would punch as the first move. If I were to push you, I would push hard and pull back my hands. It would not be like your "ideal" push and leave my hand on your chest for you to grab. Try grabbing my hands if I really push you!!! It's the reflex, the speed........through extend period of time of training. This is NOT for talking on paper whether this is a good move or not. It would be so much natural and faster if someone push me, I turn my body to deflect the push and punch right back. I would NEVER even think about trying to grab his hand and bend it over. That's stupid.

You should know all these, you are supposed to be an instructor which I am not. I never claim to be an expert, just been in it for a few years.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think with everyone is missing is the reality of battle that exists in real time versus anticipated or choreographed scenarios. In reality there are time delays. If your instructor tells you what he is going to do there will be no time delay because you know what is happening and when it is happening. If you are told what will be happening but not when it will happen, that would be anticipated time that has a time delay of anywhere between .15 and .12 seconds. In real battle you have a reaction time Of .25 seconds. These times are based on visual reactions. For example if an instructor told you he was going to throw a right hook and you practiced to defend against it over and over to a High Point of proficiency, so the instructor says ready and rather than throw right hook that you are prepared for and you are anticipating. And instead the instructor through a kick to the balls. It would take that practiced Defender .25 seconds to process the new information i.e. He sees the foot weapon, the eyes send a message to The brain, the brain sends the Information to the nerves , Nerves then the nerves then send me information to the Muscles and this process would have taken .25 seconds before the body could possibly physically respond. Your next problem would be figuring out how to deal with leg weapon that comes as a surprise. If you are in a Real life situation with the actual consequences of battle, by the time though person who is anticipating the ride hook would have been already struck By the leg weapon. Let’s look at the application in real time. You have a student who come in For their first lesson and teach them a top of the foot shelf kick to the testicles. Even a novice could take a top of the foot strike to an object at groin height with very little training and strike an object like an open dresser drawer and strike it hard enough to break the top of his own foot. If you have an aggressor that is approaching you slowly, thinking of putting a hand on you While talking to you in an intimidating fashion. He will be surprised when you are standing in a neutral position without revealing your intention of kicking him in the groin. Let’s startle reaction Will take .25 seconds before he realizes the kick is on its way and he will have no time to physically respond before impact to his testicles. Now you can read this had to after hearing it, it would be easy to say “what I would do is Block the kick and counterstrike“. But that would be anticipated timing because you already know what is going to happen and will not be surprised by the leg movement giving you a reaction time that would be .12 seconds. The point is there is a difference between real time .25 seconds which represents actual battle, anticipated time .12 seconds which represents an armchair quarterback who tells you what he would have done after watching the play and saying what should have happened after already seeing it. That would be similar to seeing a Jack-in-the-Box for the first time and being startled, and then doing it a second time when you know what’s going to happen and expecting to have the same response as you did the first time. That isn’t going to happen because now it is anticipated. What people forget is that real battle only happens once in real time.If you study choreographed battle or anticipated battle you will not be prepared for the street. Having been A bouncer in the most violent clubs in New York for 23 years, and holding degree black belt as a kickboxer, And being a Chief instructor and dojo owner In the early 70s .Then becoming a Chief instructor And owner of a dojo And degree black belt in American Combat and Karate From 1975 to 1985. Then going from ACK with Richie Barathy to Tai-Zen under Howard Tague and becoming a dojo owner and Chief instructor attaining my fifth-degree black belt in that system in 1991.Then 20 years later starting my own system (American Nihon Jiu-Jitsu) in order to change with the times (there are cameras everywhere including peoples phones) you can successfully defend yourself legally with techniques that will work 100% of the time. It took me a half a century to figure this out, but can be taught effectively in just a few years. The average age of my students ranges from 25 to 65 and we have eliminated the bazaar spinning jumping flying useless techniques and gear strictly for reality. We emphasize students asking questions because as an instructor it’s our job to be able to prove what we say. For further information you can email me at We do not teach anyone below the age of 18 and have separate classes for former practitioners, basic students, intermediate students, advanced students And a master class for high-level black belts. All classes are taught by Renshi Goldberg 5thdegree black belt or Kyoshi Talia 6° black belt and myself Grandmaster Willing 10th° black belt. We are located in Huntington New York. Feel free to ask any questions at the email listed above. Respectfully, Grandmaster Willing

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think with everyone is missing is the reality of battle that exists in real time versus anticipated or choreographed scenarios. In reality there are time delays. If your instructor tells you what he is going to do there will be no time delay because you know what is happening and when it is happening. If you are told what will be happening but not when it will happen, that would be anticipated time that has a time delay of anywhere between .15 and .12 seconds. In real battle you have a reaction time Of .25 seconds. These times are based on visual reactions. For example if an instructor told you he was going to throw a right hook and you practiced to defend against it over and over to a High Point of proficiency, so the instructor says ready and rather than throw right hook that you are prepared for and you are anticipating. And instead the instructor through a kick to the balls. It would take that practiced Defender .25 seconds to process the new information i.e. He sees the foot weapon, the eyes send a message to The brain, the brain sends the Information to the nerves , Nerves then the nerves then send me information to the Muscles and this process would have taken .25 seconds before the body could possibly physically respond. Your next problem would be figuring out how to deal with leg weapon that comes as a surprise. If you are in a Real life situation with the actual consequences of battle, by the time though person who is anticipating the ride hook would have been already struck By the leg weapon. Let’s look at the application in real time. You have a student who come in For their first lesson and teach them a top of the foot shelf kick to the testicles. Even a novice could take a top of the foot strike to an object at groin height with very little training and strike an object like an open dresser drawer and strike it hard enough to break the top of his own foot. If you have an aggressor that is approaching you slowly, thinking of putting a hand on you While talking to you in an intimidating fashion. He will be surprised when you are standing in a neutral position without revealing your intention of kicking him in the groin. Let’s startle reaction Will take .25 seconds before he realizes the kick is on its way and he will have no time to physically respond before impact to his testicles. Now you can read this had to after hearing it, it would be easy to say “what I would do is Block the kick and counterstrike“. But that would be anticipated timing because you already know what is going to happen and will not be surprised by the leg movement giving you a reaction time that would be .12 seconds. The point is there is a difference between real time .25 seconds which represents actual battle, anticipated time .12 seconds which represents an armchair quarterback who tells you what he would have done after watching the play and saying what should have happened after already seeing it. That would be similar to seeing a Jack-in-the-Box for the first time and being startled, and then doing it a second time when you know what’s going to happen and expecting to have the same response as you did the first time. That isn’t going to happen because now it is anticipated. What people forget is that real battle only happens once in real time.If you study choreographed battle or anticipated battle you will not be prepared for the street. Having been A bouncer in the most violent clubs in New York for 23 years, and holding degree black belt as a kickboxer, And being a Chief instructor and dojo owner In the early 70s .Then becoming a Chief instructor And owner of a dojo And degree black belt in American Combat and Karate From 1975 to 1985. Then going from ACK with Richie Barathy to Tai-Zen under Howard Tague and becoming a dojo owner and Chief instructor attaining my fifth-degree black belt in that system in 1991.Then 20 years later starting my own system (American Nihon Jiu-Jitsu) in order to change with the times (there are cameras everywhere including peoples phones) you can successfully defend yourself legally with techniques that will work 100% of the time. It took me a half a century to figure this out, but can be taught effectively in just a few years. The average age of my students ranges from 25 to 65 and we have eliminated the bazaar spinning jumping flying useless techniques and gear strictly for reality. We emphasize students asking questions because as an instructor it’s our job to be able to prove what we say. For further information you can email me at . We do not teach anyone below the age of 18 and have separate classes for former practitioners, basic students, intermediate students, advanced students And a master class for high-level black belts. All classes are taught by Renshi Goldberg 5thdegree black belt or Kyoshi Talia 6° black belt and myself Grandmaster Willing 10th° black belt. We are located in Huntington New York. Feel free to ask any questions at the email listed above. Respectfully, Grandmaster Willing

Only sort of. There are positional tricks that give you more time to react.

And telegraphing can increase your reaction time.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you teach a beginner how to use a hook to knock down a jab, how long do you think that beginner can use it in sparring?

Not trying to be disrespectful.

It will take a while!!!

You are an instructor, I think you know it's not easy to throw a hook or circular punch particularly the short ones. Because the lack of movement of the arm, power is generated starting from the heel, with the hip, the waist and the shoulder. You have to turn all the body parts together to ADD to the speed and force to the hook punch. This to me is even harder than jab and reverse punches. Sure, you can do wild swings, but you ain't get no power and more importantly, if you miss, you throw yourself off balance. Takes months to get good in coordinate all the body parts together to throw these punches.

I shouldn't have to tell you as I am not an expert like you. But this is quite standard in how to punch. It takes months to get good at it.

Again, you have not responded on having a person pushing you, but not letting you know when he is going to push, also, push as if he means it, not just put his hands on your chest and let you have plenty of time to do your fancy wrist lock.

Better yet, have someone to attack you, just limit to jab, push, reverse punch to your face or to your body. He will punch and push as if he really means it, he can do it any time randomly.

Last edited:

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

The positional tricks to give you more time to react would be based on anticipated time. You would still have to anticipate a Crippling strike being delivered. If it takes you .12 seconds to react, what happens when the below was delivered in less than .12 seconds? Come down and I’ll show you what I mean. To answer your other statement, if a person telegraphs their strike, it would take more time to throw the strike giving you time to react. However I am discussing someone approaching a defense master that does not telegraph their strikes. I would be very happy to give you an example of what I’m talking about without risk or harm to yourself.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

The positional tricks to give you more time to react would be based on anticipated time. You would still have to anticipate a Crippling strike being delivered. If it takes you .12 seconds to react, what happens when the below was delivered in less than .12 seconds? Come down and I’ll show you what I mean. To answer your other statement, if a person telegraphs their strike, it would take more time to throw the strike giving you time to react. However I am discussing someone approaching a defense master that does not telegraph their strikes. I would be very happy to give you an example of what I’m talking about without risk or harm to yourself. Text me at 631-796-1474

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again, you have not responded on having a person pushing you, but not letting you know when he is going to push, also, push as if he means it, not just put his hands on your chest and let you have plenty of time to do your fancy wrist lock.
I have responded to your concern as the following:

Your opponent pushes your chest, if you

- can grab his hand, when he moves back his arm, your grabbing will pull you into your opponent since your body and your opponent's body are linked as one unit..
- can't grab his hand, if you move in faster than he can pull his hand back, his hand will be caught between your body and his body. His hand will have no place to go.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I want to thank you guys for keep talking about circular punch. I never even heard of this in my time. I always thought it's just long hook punch and I practiced on the heavy bag all along. I have no problem punching a long hook punch like a hook punch. But then I kept reading you guys about circular punch and hook punch, I got the feeling it's NOT a long hook punch and I went on youtube to find out what the hell is circular punch and realize I have to turn the fist around and kind of make the thumb turn downwards to punch, not like a hook where the thumb is on the top.

I went a did a few real circular punches this morning on the heavy bag, seems like I can hit harder easier. I am going to start practicing it the week after. I am on strike this coming week, my grand daughter is staying with us, I rather spend the time sparring with her. She like to spar with grandpa because she can bully grandpa!!!

Question: I saw in UFC people throw a lot of ( now looks like long circular punches) long hook punch, I always through it's just very long hook punch, are they circular punches. I never stop and play it in slow motion to check where the thumb is and I don't have any recording at the moment to double check( I erased after watching them).

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to thank you guys for keep talking about circular punch. I never even heard of this in my time. I always thought it's just long hook punch and I practiced on the heavy bag all along. I have no problem punching a long hook punch like a hook punch. But then I kept reading you guys about circular punch and hook punch, I got the feeling it's NOT a long hook punch and I went on youtube to find out what the hell is circular punch and realize I have to turn the fist around and kind of make the thumb turn downwards to punch, not like a hook where the thumb is on the top.
Oh no.. don't do that. thumbside down on a circular punch creates bad structure. You'll damage your arm or your hand that way. Your statement makes me think you are looking at something like this.

This is bad technique because he's trying to hit with the wrong knuckles. Which is why he says sometimes the punch catches in a bad way and it hurts him.

Circular punches should not go against your natural movement of joints and angles. "Circular Punch" is a General term that basically describes any punch that isn't linear. That includes, hooks, uppercuts, overhand and a lot of cross punches. The Circular movement of the punch helps to generate speed and to impact the side of linear punches, kicks, and the "center line" of a person. So if I want to hit you in the side of the body then I will use a circular punch to do so.

Circular punches can be difficult to deal with because the angle that they come in can be difficult to read. In terms of punch variety, the circular punch is king. It is also the heaviest of punches. Think of baseball. Picture and Batter use circular motions to put a lot of power in the throw or the swinging of a bat. Try to get the same result with a linear punch and you will there's a big difference in power delivered. This is the same with kicks and punches. I'm not saying Circular punches are the best. I'm just saying there are more variety of punches that are circular.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I went a did a few real circular punches this morning on the heavy bag, seems like I can hit harder easier. I am going to start practicing it the week after.
If you can, please share how you are making a fist and what parts of the fist you are hitting with when doing your circular punches. Certain parts of the fist are used with certain circular punches. Don't be like Chuck Liddell. Get that punch wrong and you'll either mess up your hand or your wrist

Latest Discussions