whats a good age for a child to start learning MA

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At 4-7 I think the focus should be on character building

8-12 can focus on bully prevention and how to escape from a child predator (the "This is not my daddy" drill)

12-16 I think you can start regualr training but it would be best if this were done in a youth class if you had enough kids. at 14 they should have the choice to jump into the adult class definitely.

Aniela13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started at 6...some kids may be able to handle it before then, others might not be able to really learn the stuff till they're 10, maybe older. It depends how big the classes are (imo, younger kids tend to need more one-on-one time, so if the class is small enough for a ~3-1 student-instructor mix, kids could be younger), how much the individual kids actually want to learn (for me, my older brother was doing it, so my parents would've had to tie me up to keep me from trying!), and I'm sure more factors that I'm not even thinking of :)

~Ani

AJPerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kids can start training at 4yo but most don't seem to know whats going on till they are 5 or 6yo.

To a 4yo everything seems like a game and when they get bored they just want to stop and go do something else. When the kids start school they start learning that they have to do as the group does. MA Training helps with their school routine and school helps with their MA Training.

If you are able to start training your own kids then start as soon as they are walking, just teach little things, let them watch you train and they will follow you as a role model and soak up the movements like a sponge.

I got a great comment the other day about an Instructors 14month old boy picking up a small pair of gloves, putting his hands in and then carry a focus pad to his dad to hold so he could hit it. Days like that put a smile on everyones face.

Latest Discussions