What is your motivation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 61138
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 61138

Guest
When we start training in a martial art we do so for the primary reason of wanting to learn self defence but at some point as we grow older, the focus should change to maintaining our health through movement.
I just turned 65 and have an extensive background in both JKD and karate and really just want to stay healthy and mobile as I age.
I am graded shodan in Budokan which is shotokan based with some Kung Fu influences.
I have been drawn back to the karate as I get older because it suits my purposes.
I dont train with the same level of intensity as I did in my youth but still feel the benefits.
I am the sole carer for my 87 old mother and it is almost 24/7 so all my training is solo...Kata and kihon come into their own in my situation.
How is everybody else approaching their training as they age?
 
I just turned 65 ... so all my training is solo...Kata and kihon come into their own in my situation. ... How is everybody else approaching their training as they age?
I'll turn 79 at the end of this year. When I was young, I trained MA for combat. Today, combat is still my main interest. Of course, I can get health benefit as well.

During the ancient time, people trained MA so they can finish a fight ASAP. When they deal with their opponent, they would use move 1 to set up move 2, use move 2 to set up move 3, ... IMO, that's the most interested part of the MA. How to use move 1, 2, 3 combo to finish a fight is still my main interest today.

Here is an example of 1,2,3 combo. When I don't have partner, I just train partner drill without partner (solo drill) over and over. I no longer train my TMA forms (I have learned more than 50 TMA forms in my life).



In this video, the guy (my student's student) used the same combo twice within 15 seconds and made his combo worked twice in a role. It proves this approach work.

 
Last edited:
Just turned 75 last week. I do weight training 3X/wk for about 45 minutes to keep my muscles toned. I can still spar at a moderate blackbelt level except against guys who do tournaments - I no longer have the leg speed to handle good young guys and never devoted myself to sport competition anyway. The older you get the more you have to depend on superior tactics. I go thru all my empty hand kata weekly but enjoy weapons kata almost every day as that's more exciting for me after all these years. As for motivation - it's just in my blood.
During the ancient time, people trained MA so they can finish a fight ASAP. When they deal with their opponent, they would use move 1 to set up move 2, use move 2 to set up move 3, ... IMO, that's the most interested part of the MA. How to use move 1, 2, 3 combo to finish a fight is still my main interest today.
I agree this is good practice. A three or four move explosive progressive attack is the way to go. Having four or five down to perfection will handle most situations.
 
Just turned 75 last week. I do weight training 3X/wk for about 45 minutes to keep my muscles toned. I can still spar at a moderate blackbelt level except against guys who do tournaments - I no longer have the leg speed to handle good young guys and never devoted myself to sport competition anyway. The older you get the more you have to depend on superior tactics. I go thru all my empty hand kata weekly but enjoy weapons kata almost every day as that's more exciting for me after all these years. As for motivation - it's just in my blood.

I agree this is good practice. A three or four move explosive progressive attack is the way to go. Having four or five down to perfection will handle most situations.
At our age, MA training contain 2 parts.

1. Saving (self-cultavition) - The Saving part can be hard work. You take the moves from your forms and do your posture standing (ZZ) for X minutes on each move. This can enhance balance, flexibility, and endurance. In my system, we have 13 postures training.

2. Spending - You drill combat combos and make sure you can still have power and speed.

IMO, both are equally important. If you don't save, you won't have anything to spend.

13 postures training.

Chang_13Taibu.webp
 
Last edited:
My biggest problem is time now...Since dad passed in January 2024, I now care fulltime for my 87 year old mother who has moderate level dementia.Even if I leave the room for a while she becomes agitated and doesnt understand that in order to care for her, I need to care for myself. My brother isnt interested so its just me and some care workers twice a week...I need to get "bang for buck" when I have time to train...My karate basics and kata are a good way to keep moving since I dont have access to a training partner
 
I do weight training 3X/wk for about 45 minutes to keep my muscles toned.
Do you have muscle/weight losing issue? My wife suggested me to eat ice cream to add my weight back (I try to add back at least 10 lb). My doctor said it's not a good idea to eat ice cream. To be a vegetarian can be my problem.

If I spend too much energy in weight training, I won't have enough energy to do other training.
 
Last edited:
my 87 year old mother who has moderate level dementia.
I have remembered about 50 poems. In order to prevent dementia, when I do my 3 miles beach walking, I will go through my 1st poem to my last poem. This will challenge my memory. I do think this is a good way to prevent dementia.

One of my favor poems is:

ę±é¢Øå¤œę”¾čŠ±åƒęØ¹ć€‚ę›“å¹č½ć€ę˜Ÿå¦‚é›Øć€‚åÆ¶é¦¬é›•č»Šé¦™ę»æč·Æć€‚é³³ē°«č²å‹•ļ¼ŒēŽ‰å£ŗå…‰č½‰ļ¼Œäø€å¤œé­šé¾čˆžć€‚
č›¾å…’é›ŖęŸ³é»ƒé‡‘ēø·ć€‚ē¬‘čŖžē›ˆē›ˆęš—é¦™åŽ»ć€‚ēœ¾é‡Œå°‹ä»–åƒē™¾åŗ¦ć€‚é©€ē„¶å›žé¦–ļ¼Œé‚£äŗŗå»åœØļ¼Œē‡ˆē«é—ŒēŠč™•ć€‚

ā€œThe east wind at night scatters blossoms like a thousand trees,
And blows down stars, falling like rain.
Fine horses and carved carriages fill the fragrant streets.
Phoenix flutes stir the air, jade lanterns turn and shimmer—
All night long, fish and dragons dance.ā€
ā€œMoth-shaped ornaments, snow‑white tassels, golden threads—
Laughter and soft whispers drift with hidden fragrance.
I search for her thousands of times among the crowd.
Suddenly, turning back—
There she is, standing quietly
Where the lights grow dim.ā€
 
Last edited:
I’m a fit and trim 68 year old woman and have recently returned to martial arts after a 30 year layoff. I’ll be the first to admit that my once polished 4th dan TKD skills have significantly diminished over time. The lightning fast head level kicks of my youth now barely reach above waist level. And I won’t even try anything that involves jumping or spinning.

As for my routine, I do strength training at a local gym three times a week and take a brisk 3 mile (5km) walk on most days.

A few months ago I bought a used, like new Century Wavemaster. It was very inexpensive and every day I spend about 10-15 minutes kicking and punching the crap out of it. My power, speed and combinations are steadily improving and overall it just feels great!

This is something you easily do at home, in addition to balance exercises, dumbbells, elastic bands etc.

In any case, I humbly bow to you as well as all of the seniors here who are trying to stay healthy, age gracefully and keep fighting the good fight. Be well and God bless!
 
take a brisk 3 mile (5km) walk on most days. ... A few months ago I bought a used, like new Century Wavemaster.
3 miles walking is more mentally than physically. If you can add some kick/punch along with your walking, you will get even more benefit.

Here are some punching combos that I'll do when I walk.

- Back fist, overhand, horizontal block, straight punch.
- Back fist, overhand, horizontal block, hook.
- Back fist, overhand, horizontal block, uppercut.
- Back fist, overhand, overhand, back fist (3 rings catch the moon).

I also have a Century Wavemaster in my garage for 17 years. It's one of my favor workout. I try to do 20 kicks/punches on each leg/hand for:

- 3 stars.
- palm strike.
- jab.
- cross.
- front toes kick.
- front heel kick.
- roundhouse kick.
- side kick.
- inside crescent kick.

My friend said that I spend too much and I should save more. I agree with him 100% and I'll spend more time on my saving (ZZ) - posture standing.

13Taibu.webp
 
Last edited:
61 years old here, Love the forms and the techniques and just love rolling and doing stand up, really started stand up back when i was 27 yrs, took a break off for 32 years(then) back at it.
 
our school founder is 75, still moves well, can still kick above his head (with most kicks), is more coordinated than the average 75 year old, is still capable of running several hours of classes a week. Whereas I have people in my family that by 70 cant get around without assistance, can barely stand on their own, and are generally just rotting. My motivation is to maintain an active lifestyle so that just like my instructor, I am completely self sufficient well into my 70s with no signs of slowing down until I'm dead. A body in motion stays in motion, a body at rest stays at rest.
 
our school founder is 75, still moves well, can still kick above his head (with most kicks), is more coordinated than the average 75 year old, is still capable of running several hours of classes a week. Whereas I have people in my family that by 70 cant get around without assistance, can barely stand on their own, and are generally just rotting. My motivation is to maintain an active lifestyle so that just like my instructor, I am completely self sufficient well into my 70s with no signs of slowing down until I'm dead. A body in motion stays in motion, a body at rest stays at rest.
Great post
 
My motivation to learn karate is simply summarized by a few words: "I want to become strong, kick ***, but build character."
 
Back
Top