What would you suggest?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You're simply stating that an angry mma guy is going around beating up local Chinese who aren't allowed by law to fight with foreigners anyway. And what's even funnier is that there are no kung fu schools in China open to foreigners unless they're simply for fun and to get money.

There's nobody in China who teaches foreigners let alone acknowledges that they even practice Gong Fu to a foreigner.

The government banned certain martial arts because they were simply too powerful. Qi Gong is outlawed and only practiced in Secret. There's no Gong Fu in existence that doesn't use weapons as a main master technique.

Your MMA guy is doing nothing but proving himself a silly wanker.
What's a wanker? That doesn't sound nice. Do wankers fight well? Have you ever fought a wanker?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting.

Kung Fu huh?

I know a good amount of cma guys, of various styles. Not one of them labels what they do 'kung fu', at least not without prefacing it with the proper name, and generally only when talking to laymen.

You know who calls it 'kung fu'? (Rather than say, hung gar, Wing Chun, Choi li fut, etc etc)

Guys that don't do Kung Fu.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Everything I've ever posted in this forum is done regrettably

You shouldn't read what I've written nor know what I know or have experienced.

Please delete all of my posts in this thread.
Nooooooo!!! Don't go! You have been, without exception, the most entertaining poster we have had in a while. Come on, man. Just one more post. For old times.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are far too many Kung Fu schools in western countries that teach utter and complete nonsense. Even Kung Fu schools in China are getting bullied by a mediocre MMA guy who is exposing and embarrassing them.

If you want to learn about Chinese culture and how to dance with exotic weapons, by all means.

If you want to defend yourself, look elsewhere.
As a WC guy I couldn't agree more. I would say, due to my own testing and training, that the issue here is more a matter of how it is trained than what is being trained.

I use my WC to spar MMA guys almost every single day, it's just not your garden variety.

More like putting a 450 big block engine in a Subaru.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Chevy puy a 454 big block in the Camaro?

Sure did, but only (if memory serves) in some of the 2nd Gen F bodies. And in lots of other things. But that isn't what he said.
I can't think of any combination of bore/stroke that would let you build a 450ci big block without resorting to custom one-off parts for the rotating assembly.
If you went the custom parts route, you could bore/stroke a 427 block, but it wouldn't rev very high - and big block Chevy engines already don't like high RPM. You could also de-stroke a 454 a tiny bit to get a 450, but there wouldn't be any advantage to doing so.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's a wanker? That doesn't sound nice. Do wankers fight well? Have you ever fought a wanker?

If you fight a wanker, just watch out for that one arm that's much stronger than the other ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wanking is sex with someone you love.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
studied under Grandmaster Lu, 2 time full contact National Champion of Taiwan. He was a master of Northern Shaolin Gong Fu and Old Yang Style Tai Qi. We'd meditate every day and every day after meditation he'd be up in the rafters 30 feet above us, and nobody could figure out how he got there, we never heard anything.

That was Nick Nolte in peacefull warrior.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, as I told you earlier, your request has been denied. All posts become property of the owners of this site.

If you don't want your posts to be seen any more, then don't log back in to this forum, and eventually, your posts will be pushed to the bottom as time goes on.
Aaaah! You made creepy spider girl show up!

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
So after getting an intermediate belt several years ago in Chuck Norris Karate (which in my opinion was a mcdojo type setting) is like to get started in MA again. I moved to a new city with ALOT of different places to train. Here’s what I’m looking for...1. Good workout to help my 44 yo body get back in shape and help with my t2 diabetes. 2. Realistic self defense to protect myself and my family. Here’s my options...ATA TKD places, American Karate place, several places offering BJJ (Pedro Sauer school, Royce Gracie network, and an Erik Paulson school I actually tried a bjj class at) a Kung fu school, and some place that teaches Shorinji Kempo. The Erik Paulson school also teaches JKD concepts intertwined with kickboxing. What would you recommend for my goals. I want something to realistically meet my goals yet something I won’t get bored with or have to give up all other hobbies for. Thanks in advance
I would decide based on your visits and first trial classes of the dojos near you. Someone here may suggest one of the arts you listed like TKD but their experience of it could be completely different from the experience you would have at the dojo where you live. Good luck and welcome back to MA.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I studied under Grandmaster Lu, 2 time full contact National Champion of Taiwan. He was a master of Northern Shaolin Gong Fu and Old Yang Style Tai Qi. We'd meditate every day and every day after meditation he'd be up in the rafters 30 feet above us, and nobody could figure out how he got there, we never heard anything.

Long Gong Fu forms and Tai Qi forms are the Antithesis of MMA. They are to promote strength, health, memory, mindfulness, mental health, protect against degenerative brain function etc.

MMA sport fighting has at its core the disregard of one's health and metal well-being.

There's no Chinese practicioner that wouldn't rather cut you down with a sword than allow you to pummel their head repeatedly. You'd die. Nobody tolerates blatant disrespect, and they'd be fine knifing you through the back in kind.

Further more if you're getting mugged, its probably not one guy. A Kung Fu practicioner trains multiple opponents all the time. That's Kung Fu. Going into an angry crowd that wants you dead and walking away without being knifed in the back by the 7th guy you didn't see.
Oh yeah? Well...I studied under Grandmaster Li, he was 43 times all world champion of old Mongolia, and he could kill with a thought. He showed me, he demonstrsted the technique on me, in front of an audience of 8739473794876. They all saw it and they all assured me that they would sign an affidavit attesting to what they witnessed.

He taught me the method and I’ve used it 97 times over the course of 143 years. It has saved my life twice, so I swear by it.

Latest Discussions