What would you suggest?

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So after getting an intermediate belt several years ago in Chuck Norris Karate (which in my opinion was a mcdojo type setting) is like to get started in MA again. I moved to a new city with ALOT of different places to train. Here’s what I’m looking for...1. Good workout to help my 44 yo body get back in shape and help with my t2 diabetes. 2. Realistic self defense to protect myself and my family. Here’s my options...ATA TKD places, American Karate place, several places offering BJJ (Pedro Sauer school, Royce Gracie network, and an Erik Paulson school I actually tried a bjj class at) a Kung fu school, and some place that teaches Shorinji Kempo. The Erik Paulson school also teaches JKD concepts intertwined with kickboxing. What would you recommend for my goals. I want something to realistically meet my goals yet something I won’t get bored with or have to give up all other hobbies for. Thanks in advance

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So after getting an intermediate belt several years ago in Chuck Norris Karate (which in my opinion was a mcdojo type setting) is like to get started in MA again. I moved to a new city with ALOT of different places to train. Here’s what I’m looking for...1. Good workout to help my 44 yo body get back in shape and help with my t2 diabetes. 2. Realistic self defense to protect myself and my family. Here’s my options...ATA TKD places, American Karate place, several places offering BJJ (Pedro Sauer school, Royce Gracie network, and an Erik Paulson school I actually tried a bjj class at) a Kung fu school, and some place that teaches Shorinji Kempo. The Erik Paulson school also teaches JKD concepts intertwined with kickboxing. What would you recommend for my goals. I want something to realistically meet my goals yet something I won’t get bored with or have to give up all other hobbies for. Thanks in advance
There no answer to this question, ma arnt noted fit the level of fitness standards they produce,, but if your particularly unfit all of them will be challenging, loosing weight will help your type two, which really needs you to go on a diet, all of them will provide realistic defence, if your actually fit enough to use them and not at all if your not. and As to your boredom thresh hold, your looking at putting a number of years into them, or you may as well not bother at all and take up hiking instead

You can't really have I want to protect my family AND as long as it's Intresting and doesn't take up to much time, as equal objectives,

If you just want a macho aerobics clafinance a week, pick one and go, if you want to be in a realistic position to protect your self and your family, be prepared to attend a few times a week and put in practise/ fitness away from the dojo

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Realistically, you're going to have to go visit each and decide which will likely be most comfortable and enjoyable for you.

But, man, I would give my eyeteeth to train with Erik Paulson.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What happened to your BJJ? If you didn't like it for a specific reason it might help people answer

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it were me, it would be the Bjj school or the Erik Paulson school with the Bjj school being favored due to its mix of tradition and modern MA and the pedigree.

That said, it comes down to what YOU personally prefer to train in.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you want to learn a martial art, or do you want to learn how to be an effective fighter?

If the former, pick one.

If the latter, do MMA.

(Yes yes I know you CAN do the latter without any MMA, but it's a diceroll.)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you want to learn a martial art, or do you want to learn how to be an effective fighter?

If the former, pick one.

If the latter, do MMA.

(Yes yes I know you CAN do the latter without any MMA, but it's a diceroll.)

Fair point and I like the small concession in brackets there is hope for all us non MMA guys yet lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

any art you choose has to be your own choice ultimately we can all sit and give you advice pros cons etc etc etc but YOU have to choose what fits you best and what you feel is the path you wanna take ....you may try more than one school before you find the right fit even in the same art ....

best of luck the guys who are on here will give you good advice if you give them as much and as detailed info as you can

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an MMA guy either, I'm a Wing Chun guy. I'm just a Wing Chun guy that supplements my training with MMA :)

I was just having a friendly poke bro sorry ....the bracket bit just made me laugh sorry

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I probably didn’t make my question clear. Sorry about that. So the Eric Paulson school teaches kickboxing mixed with JKD Concepts. It also has pure Jun Fan Gung Fu. The bjj is Eric Paulson CSW with Machado bros trained instructor as well. The Shorinji Kempo I hadn’t heard of and know nothing about. I had taken bjj in the past and it seemed to me that if you don’t train every single class or attend seminars when the lineage instructor is in town or goto comps that you will not be promoted. Maybe it’s just my opinion but I’ve heard there is politics in bjj. Back to what I’m looking for...I don’t go to bars, look for trouble, etc. I just want a realistic art that I know won’t fail me if I’m in the wrong place by accident or someone accosts my family, etc. I do carry concealed but some places you just can’t. I work full time and like to lift weights so I’m just wondering what would be best. I did try a class at the Eric Paulson school in bjj and liked it but a few things came up and I hadn’t been back.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I probably didn’t make my question clear. Sorry about that. So the Eric Paulson school teaches kickboxing mixed with JKD Concepts. It also has pure Jun Fan Gung Fu. The bjj is Eric Paulson CSW with Machado bros trained instructor as well. The Shorinji Kempo I hadn’t heard of and know nothing about. I had taken bjj in the past and it seemed to me that if you don’t train every single class or attend seminars when the lineage instructor is in town or goto comps that you will not be promoted. Maybe it’s just my opinion but I’ve heard there is politics in bjj. Back to what I’m looking for...I don’t go to bars, look for trouble, etc. I just want a realistic art that I know won’t fail me if I’m in the wrong place by accident or someone accosts my family, etc. I do carry concealed but some places you just can’t. I work full time and like to lift weights so I’m just wondering what would be best. I did try a class at the Eric Paulson school in bjj and liked it but a few things came up and I hadn’t been back.

The Eric Paulson CSW with a Machado trained instructor would be my pick.

There's politics in all martial arts.

Bjj's style of promotions can put some people off, since oftentimes it falls to the instructor's personal judgement, since there are no formal tests within belt ranks (i.e. there tends to be no test from 1st stripe to 2nd stripe, but there can be formal tests when moving from white belt to blue belt). I would recommend avoid worrying about your rank in Bjj, because skill is skill. If you're a white belt giving upper belts problems, or if you're that white belt who chokes out the purple belt from another school, who cares what color your belt is?

I was a white belt for almost 2 years due to work, school, and kids. I was actually forced to become a blue belt without testing because I started subbing blue belts on a regular basis. It wasn't because I was some Bjj wizard, I just practiced at home a lot because I could only attend classes twice a week. Trust me, it's far more enjoyable being the exceptional white belt than being just another blue, purple or brown belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How concerned are you with promotions? I didn't see that in your list of goals in the OP, but you make a big point of it here. If rank doesn't matter much to you, then don't worry about whether you ever get that next rank or not, unless it will keep you from getting to part of the curriculum (unlikely in a BJJ setting, I think).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But the answer remains much the same, all the arts you've mentioned will teach you good body dynamics for fighting, the techniques won't fail you,
If they help you with self defence, in that you win, is largely down to you, your abilities, how much effort you dedicate to them and your level of fitness and of course who it is your defending against and there abilities and fitness.

The local up and coMming gangstas round here can be seen down the spit and saw dust gym, Pumped full of steroids,throwing heavy weights around and then pounding a heavy bag your going to have to be very very good, to over come their physical advantages of you were to get in a spat with them

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

Something i am somewhat considering, you could do which ever style/school you decide you like the most for the sport/exercise/betterment value of it and then try to find a seminar or course somewhere for self defence.

Do some searching around for the latter as i think there are some good ones out there to teach you some techniques you can use in most situations. That is if you can travel.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Based on your goals, I'd recommend BJJ, like others have said. It sounds like you have a few choices for that, so then I'd recommend checking out each school and seeing which you like best and which fits your schedule best.

If you don't like any of them, then check out some of the other spots. ATA & "American karate" type places tend to be more kid-oriented, and may not have much in the way of an adult program; some kenpo & kung fu places are the same way. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to check them all out.

Feitianwu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu. If you dedicate the time to it, its by far the most healthy, best way to rejuvenate yourself and keep your body flexible and nimble, super important. And its extremely practical for 99% of every day self defense situations you'll ever come across, and it's moves are a very strong deterrent to people who aren't highly trained. You're never going to be mugged by a highly trained martial artist.

But just carry a gun and go be healthy.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are far too many Kung Fu schools in western countries that teach utter and complete nonsense. Even Kung Fu schools in China are getting bullied by a mediocre MMA guy who is exposing and embarrassing them.

If you want to learn about Chinese culture and how to dance with exotic weapons, by all means.

If you want to defend yourself, look elsewhere.

Latest Discussions