What would you do?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenposcum

Okay, 7sm, you got me. I've never been shot. But I've known (or at least made their acquaintance) a few people who have been shot, and even the guy who took a .32 through the leg was able to run away. And while one shot can most definitely kill you, it's not for sure. One of my students was in Vietnam, and he took an AK-47 slug to the gut but still functioned, and was able to return fire, until he was evacuated. I've seen what a gunshot wound can do, both at the time and in the aftermath, and I resent the assertion that I was being in any way flippant. Sure, it's a gamble, sure, you might get killed, but if somebody gets into this situation, I don't want them to freeze just because Mr. Bad Guy has a pistol. Awareness of the risks, not

I wasn't trying to imply that you were being flipant, I just think that people need to understand what it involves. I bet you if you ask any of the people you know who have been shot, they have some type if problem or issue with where they were shot. It doesn't leave you the same as before, and what is worth that? Your life, definatly, your familys life, most definatly, many other things, probably not. Thats all I'm saying.

7sm

OP
K

kenposcum

[sorry, AGAIN]
Oh, where was I? Ah, yeah! To reiterate and finish up, I wasn't trying to show off my "Superman complex" (it's really more like a Woody Allen complex, anyway) with my post, I was trying to state that if he's got a gun, one's unarmed skills mean a whole hell of a lot more than "dick." People get shot and live. Some people get shot a lot, and live (witness LA gangbanger Bloodhound, shot 23 times and still committing crimes). If you're in a position where running is just not an option, like if you're living with your invalid grandmother, you have kids on the other side of the house, your wife has a broken leg and can't run for it, etc, etc, then you will have to fight, regardless of what you're up against. It's not like the movies, where every shot is fatal, every bullet opens a crater in flesh, guns have a magnetic attraction to the target...no. Oh, and one last thing, I wasn't saying that one can dodge bullets, what I SAID was that with some moving and juking, one can convert a potential killshot into a flesh wound (which DO exist, 7sm). Admittedly, one could also convert a flesh wound into a kill shot, admittedly, if the stakes aren't high, run for it, admittedly, we can all die, but MY POINT WAS THAT UNARMED FIGHTING SKILLS ARE WORTH MORE THAN DICK EVEN WHEN ONE IS FACING A GUN!!!!! Thanks. :asian:

OP
K

kenposcum

Just read your post, after I posted mine. Gotcha.:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I think we agree basically, its this dang interent communication that is killing us! ;) Yeah, if you can run, get to running!! If you can't, yes your unarmed skills I guess will give you an advantage, but luck better be on your side too!!

Anyway, point taken....

7sm

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenposcum

People get shot and live. Some people get shot a lot, and live (witness LA gangbanger Bloodhound, shot 23 times and still committing crimes).

That line puts me in mind of the story of the first casualties from the "peace keeping" incident in East Timor, a few years back. An Indonesian sympethizer(sp?), thought he'd be ok to ambush a group of Australian Soldiers on patrol. He was unlucky enough to pick on SAS soldiers. His first shot hit one of the soldiers in the throat. He returned fire, killing the SOB, and then stitched his neck up whilst his offsider drove him to a field hospital.
Man, if I ever get shot, I hope I can be that tough!!

--Dave
:asian:

OP
K

kenposcum

So the last thing I want to say about the gun, is of course SGM Parker was right, you can't disarm someone from ten feet away. So (again, if you can't run, duh) close the gap. I think we can all agree that doing Twisting Rod on an opponent ten feet away would be pretty silly!;)