What would you do?

OP
H

Hansson

Actually something like that happened to me a few years ago.

I was standing in the middle of my one-room apartment late one night, watching tv (probably was on my way to the bathroom or something).

The building I lived in was just opened up after some renovation work and most apartments were empty. Valuable tools were left in the building and on two occasions earlier the same month things were stolen.

All of a sudden I feel something is wrong and I see how the doorhandle is being pulled down slowly... I freeze! The door was locked thank god... but it was very creepy anyway! I went to the door and smashed it loudly and also did sort of a kiai... then I heard how someone was running away in the corridor.

I called the police but of course they had more important things to do... :rolleyes:

OP
F

feintem

Id find out what black talons do to human fleash.I had it happen to me at 11:00 at night. I herd some guys in my backyard so I grabed my 9mm and ran down stairs to do some target practice but to my disapointment they were gone. But now that I have my sons in my life. I would even take it with greater coviction. If they get past me my boys have to much to loose their lifes.

Any fight worth fighting must be worth dieing for!!!!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Oh those silly, primitive Thais. They are so backward as to think that learning to fight is merely a matter of training hard and hitting hard. Where are the pressure points, the forms, the grandmasters, we ask. It is fun to laugh at their childlike understanding, but not if there is an actual Thai boxer present."

HA! I think I peed my pants......damn

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
J

J-kid

Then pick up my base ball bat and hide around the corner then when he walks past me scream in a blinding rage swinging the baseball bat at him then tackle and stab and chock , when the cops come you say he attacked you first .

OP
J

J-kid

I could dig a ditch in my house in the middle of my hall like in the cartoons and he will fall in and then there will be a capault he will land in then get shot threw a sky light, That is the best way to handle it. TnT works just as well but not as cool.:lasma:

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by Blindside
Grab the nearest weapon, which would either be the gladius on the bookcase, or the broadsword on the pellet stove (they are both "real" swords) ,,,,,,,,,,
Lamont

I would grab both and make like a ninja turtle:)

Seriously, I'd make sure my wife was safe before I'd even think about confronting the burglars, if at all, with the baseball bat and airhorn I keep by my bed. This has actually happened to me and the airhorn did a great job of getting the varlet out of my house

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that alot of peple in here are being funny, but some are not, and I truly hope that your MA has increased your intellegence to the size that you would not grab some weapon and try to overtake someone. If your in danger, call the police! Ther eare situation that differ, but get out! What that you own is worth your life? If you can't get out, defend yourself, but why perposly put yourself at risk?

7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think alot of people are talking about defending their family not their posessions. To me if someone invades my home it's because they want to rape and murder my wife... not steal my stereo. Why live life assuming that people won't do their worst only to be shocked when they do? I never understood that about most people.

So bottom line, someone invades my home I will treat them as the worst kind of criminal that wants to torture and kill my family. I will take them out and hopefully not kill them in the process.

P.S. plenty of people die in the time it takes for the cops to arrive. Counting on your call to the cops to save you is like an ostrich putting his head in the sand when danger approaches.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
K

kenposcum

I guess I'd pop in the SFX CD, turn up the volume, and play track #47, "shotgun being racked." If that failed, I'd run like hell, because that means he probably has a gun.
Of course, if he came in by way of my room, I'd fight to kill. Or incapacitate. I'd mess him up so bad he'd have to take his pants off to blow his nose. Or I'd die. You can never tell, but judging from the fact that he is a criminal punk, I'd be willing to bet I could take him. This is not a statement of bravado, by the way.
:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have a house full of family, of course, thats why I said there are different situations. But I did not mean to call the police and sit and wait for them. If you can get out, call them and get out, you won't be killed waiting for them if your not in the situation.

7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I agree, but I live in a Condo.... so theres only one way in or out. I would have no choice.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Yes I agree, but I live in a Condo.... so theres only one way in or out. I would have no choice.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Yeah thats the same for me, thats the reason I own a gun. I'm not going to pick up a baseball bat and go after him, he's not goign to make it that for in the house! I just think people get too caught up in beating the guy to death rather than running. Having worked with people who are adicted to things like PCP, you really don't want to take a baseball bat after them, you will just break the bat on their head and then get the crap kicked out of you!

7sm

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I can't say I like to rely on the police. Like I said before I live a long way from the cops, but I grew up in the Seattle area and there isn't any promise that their reaction time would be any faster. Am I supposed to wait on my front lawn for the guy to get finished? Maybe go running of into the night, stumbling over sagebrush?

Regardless, am I supposed to surrender all my possessions to some guy who is invading my home, to take stuff that I worked my *** of to own? This isn't just about possessions, it is about ownership, security, and self-confidence. Why are we waiting for the cops? Because its THEIR job? Because THEY have the training, the badge, and the gun? What about your training? I am confident in my unarmed skills, feel pretty good with a knife or shortsword in my hand, and I'm a better pistol shot than half the cops I know. Why should I abdicate the responsibility of protecting my home to strangers? In my case, I won't do it.

Lamont

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Blindside

I can't say I like to rely on the police. Like I said before I live a long way from the cops, but I grew up in the Seattle area and there isn't any promise that their reaction time would be any faster. Am I supposed to wait on my front lawn for the guy to get finished? Maybe go running of into the night, stumbling over sagebrush?

Regardless, am I supposed to surrender all my possessions to some guy who is invading my home, to take stuff that I worked my *** of to own? This isn't just about possessions, it is about ownership, security, and self-confidence. Why are we waiting for the cops? Because its THEIR job? Because THEY have the training, the badge, and the gun? What about your training? I am confident in my unarmed skills, feel pretty good with a knife or shortsword in my hand, and I'm a better pistol shot than half the cops I know. Why should I abdicate the responsibility of protecting my home to strangers? In my case, I won't do it.

Lamont
Wow man, calm down, you have this whole Rage Against the MAchine thing going on. First, if the person breaking in has a gun, your unarmed skills mean precisly dick. I propose that if your possessions are more important than your life, you need to re-evaluate your life. Nothing is more precious than life. I never said wait for the cops, I said call them and remove yourself from the danger. The reason? Order, peace, government, law. Choose one, because thats why we have police.

7sm

OP
S

Shoto Tiger

WOW! I am impressed with the response...very!

How about we change the scenario a little...

They have come in and you have incapcitated them and called the police...however...

You didn't notice the other one until he grabbed you! He's extremely upset that you have incapacitated his mate! He has your head in a one arm armlock and you can't see what is in his other hand (if anything)....the wife/familly are no longer there...just yourself now...oh and this is all happening in the hallway - so you're not near any particular lethal weapons. The average joe knows how to apply an armlock...but is this person average?

OP
J

J-kid

Call 911 scream in phone hang up and when they call back hang it up fast , Cop car will be at your house faster then you can grab your bat and confront the guy.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Grab the closest Wepon.
Grab the Phone .

But 1st make sure it is not your kids
Sneaking in after Sneaking Out:D

This hapen to me once & while the phone is great to put to your head it is not good when Your Mom does .

:D

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last time I called 911, it took them ten freakin' minutes to pick up the phone! I'd witnessed a pretty nasty looking car accident on the 91 freeway...one of those crashes where you just know that somebody has to be hurt at the very least. I was the only other car on the road at that time, so I figured I'd better call just in case the people in the car weren't able to.

Frankly, when I was in a situation like the one described, I got out first, and called 911 from my cell phone once I was safely in the car with my cell phone and the cat (who was asleep on the foot of my bed and got snatched up hastily as I exited).