What would you do?

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by Judo-kid

Call 911 scream in phone hang up and when they call back hang it up fast , Cop car will be at your house faster then you can grab your bat and confront the guy.

ROFLMAO:):):) Are you speaking from the experience of making crank calls or are you just trying to be funny?

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can assure you that is true. My friend knocked off my phone once and hit the speed dial to 911. She just put it back. 2 squat cars showed up within minutes and they were ready to breakdown the door! Sheeze!

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Remember Never Yell Help no one comes to help
Yell Fire Everyone comes to Fire.

Sometimes The Police come Quick
Sometimes hey are slower than turtles.

But it's worse when they dont come at all!!

I know they are not perfect, no 1 is.

OP
S

sammy3170

If you've got a family and can't get them out safely, fine, confront the bastard and kick his ***. Make sure you can tell if he has a weapon. If you seriously hurt him and he's unarmed you could be in some trouble. Where I train we have the ABC's of self defence with A being Avoid a potentially dangerous situation. If you can get out, do so; no TV or DVD is worth anyones life including the burglars and you'll very quickly know if he's a burglar or has more sinister motives in which case that all changes.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Sammy, I'm curious as to what the B AND C are of what you're talking about. It seems interesting.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A = avoid and B & C are beg and cry respectively.

OMG I'm sorry but I had to do that, I'm laughing at my own stupid joke like you wouldnt believe!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

A = avoid and B & C are beg and cry respectively.

OMG I'm sorry but I had to do that, I'm laughing at my own stupid joke like you wouldnt believe!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

It goes further than B & C but they are just ways of remembering how to act before, during and after a conflict.
B is Breathe and be calm
C is Walk and act with Confidence
D is Don't put yourself in a worse situation than you're alredy in
E is Be aware of your Environment
etc etc
They're just mnemonics really, a way of remembering to do certain things and act in a certain way.
Cheers
Sammy

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by sammy3170

If you can get out, do so; no TV or DVD is worth anyones life including the burglars and you'll very quickly know if he's a burglar or has more sinister motives in which case that all changes.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

That's why I suggest you call 911, turn on lights, then tell the burgler that you've called the cops.
1) If it's your kids I think they'll let you know about now before someone gets hurt accidentally
2) If it's just a burgler, they don't want attention and trouble so they'll beat it out of there quick
3) If they intend more harm, they'll stick around. At that point, the 911 operator is on the line and is recording all of the sounds. You can defend yourself with all means necessary because you gave the "thief" reasonable notice to escape and you're back into a "corner". No jury in the world would convict you of anything.

If you just stormed out swinging, someone would probably get killed and someone would have to answer for it. I don't want to be on a witness stand telling them I'm sorry but I had to leave the safety of my room because it's a new stereo.

WhiteBirch

OP
K

kenposcum

"If he's got a gun, your unarmed skills mean precisely dick."

Not so. First of all, not everyone who gets shot, dies. Second of all, your training will help you to not freeze after recieving a slug. Third of all, if you're in close quarters (he's in your house/condo/apartment/dorm/hut, remember?), and if you rush him, he should be able to get ONE shot off before you engage and get the weapon pointing away from you. Fourth of all, your training has probably made you better equipped to withstand shock than the average person, thus what incapacitates Joe Six-Pack won't incapacitate you. Fifth, this is tied into the rest, he's probably not packing fed- spook- and cop- only Black Talon-exploding tip- super demolishing wadcutter rounds...he's probably got regular slugs, which make what's called temporary wound channels (like when you stick your finger into gelatin, slurp, it closes right up), which aren't as lethal as the aforememtioned evil frangible mega rounds of death that the good guys (another, later debate) pack. And sixth, if you see the weapon, you'll move, as a result of your training, meaning a potential killshot could be converted into a less lethal "flesh wound," or maybe even a miss. Seventh, statistically speaking, this guy (or gal) is unlikely to be the Night Stalker, and probably has the gun for intimidation and expects you to wilt and piss yourself when you see it, thus eliminating the need for him to use it.

Okay, that having been said, unarmed vs. a gun, or any weapon for that matter, is a losing proposition. Run if at all possible, natch. That a gun can kill you goes without saying, but my whole point here is that the unarmed skills that we hone are hardly "worth precisely dick."
And on a related note, I'd rather get shot than stabbed, because again, if he's got a gun, he's shooting me ONCE before I engage...yeah, I might die, but statisically speaking, probably not. But a knife...man, that's like rape. In and out and in again...brrrr...

OP
M

MartialArtist

I hear those noises all the time. If he happens to cut the alarm, then I'd hide myself and grab my DE loaded with .50 AE if I can and wait after calling the police. No Jackie Chan risk taking, it would be foolish as you probably don't even know if he's armed. But it's easy to say things and I would probably act differently in real life but I don't know as I fortunately haven't experienced it.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenposcum

"If he's got a gun, your unarmed skills mean precisely dick."

Not so. First of all, not everyone who gets shot, dies. Second of all, your training will help you to not freeze after recieving a slug. Third of all, if you're in close quarters (he's in your house/condo/apartment/dorm/hut, remember?), and if you rush him, he should be able to get ONE shot off before you engage and get the weapon pointing away from you. Fourth of all, your training has probably made you better equipped to withstand shock than the average person, thus what incapacitates Joe Six-Pack won't incapacitate you.
I know that alot of MA train against opponants with wooden guns and rubber knifes, but it develops what you are showing here as a "superman complex". Have you ever been shot? As someone who has worked in level 1 trama center ER's in a few of the largest cities in the nation, and someone who has been shot themselves, I would have to disagree with your "statistics". I'm not sure where you pulled that if you get shot only once you are statisticaly goign to make it. There are organs, arteries, all kinds of things one shot could very easily put you down with. How do you propose that MA training, or any physical training will make you be able to take a shot and continue? Unless you are shooting yourself in your training, which I doubt, this doesn't hold its merrit. And like I've said, and any ER doctor in the world would say, ONE shot can most deffinatly kill you. Do you want to take that gamble? The stakes are high, its your life, but if your a gambling person than maybe, just remember, you don't come back from it if you lose. Shock is not physical, you can't train yourselve to not go into shock, thats not true. People think if they are in shape it will help them not to go into shock, that is absolutely untrue.

Fifth, this is tied into the rest, he's probably not packing fed- spook- and cop- only Black Talon-exploding tip- super demolishing wadcutter rounds...he's probably got regular slugs, which make what's called temporary wound channels (like when you stick your finger into gelatin, slurp, it closes right up), which aren't as lethal as the aforememtioned evil frangible mega rounds of death that the good guys (another, later debate) pack. And sixth, if you see the weapon, you'll move, as a result of your training, meaning a potential killshot could be converted into a less lethal "flesh wound," or maybe even a miss. Seventh, statistically speaking, this guy (or gal) is unlikely to be the Night Stalker, and probably has the gun for intimidation and expects you to wilt and piss yourself when you see it, thus eliminating the need for him to use it.
Again, this is a big gamble, "well, he probably isn't carrying hollow tips, so I can take a shot and still get him". Thats not intellegent. If you have ever seen what a gunshot can do to a person you wouldn't be so flipantly expectant of taking a gunshot and being ok. Even a regular 9mm slug can do damage that can at its least leave you paralized, is that worth it to you for your TV ? Also, I truly hope you don't believe you can "dodge bullets" as you said in your statment about moving and causing a miss! Remeber, you have to move out of the sight of the gun, he only has to move his finger a few centimeters.

Okay, that having been said, unarmed vs. a gun, or any weapon for that matter, is a losing proposition. Run if at all possible, natch. That a gun can kill you goes without saying, but my whole point here is that the unarmed skills that we hone are hardly "worth precisely dick."
And on a related note, I'd rather get shot than stabbed, because again, if he's got a gun, he's shooting me ONCE before I engage...yeah, I might die, but statisically speaking, probably not. But a knife...man, that's like rape. In and out and in again...brrrr...
I don't see how someone standing 14, 15 feet away with a gun pointed at your chest is going to be overtaken by you and your amazing skills. Regardless of your training, give and live. Give him the money, the stuff, and live. Thats using your brain, just cause you can use your body doesn't mean you can't use your brain.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"give and live" I hear too many examples of people trying to appease their muggers/robbers only to be killed anyway for no reason... I don't know if I could risk NOT doing something.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

superdave

I would select one of my firearms that have a bayonet. Then I would sink the bayonet into the SOB and pull the trigger.

Seroiusly though, if someone is in your home they are a threat to you or your family. This is not about your tv or stereo. Someone tried to enter my apartment about 2 years ago. Took the cops almost an hour to get to my place. The police station is only 10 minutes from my home. After that I made sure that there is a loaded firearm near.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

"give and live" I hear too many examples of people trying to appease their muggers/robbers only to be killed anyway for no reason... I don't know if I could risk NOT doing something.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Well this is where you are supposed to use your god given brain. If the situation is not improving by giving them what they want and it deteriates to the point where they are going to hurt you anyway, then of course you would protect yourself. There is no set rules, you HAVE to have intelegence enough to determine when the attacker is being appeased and when he/she is not. If you have family in the house and the attacker isn't looking to steal anything, um...I would hope you would protect yourself then. What I'm saying is, if the situation can be ended without bloodshed on either side, you should do it. If not, you have to take the chance, but you know that your most likely going to get hurt regardless if you "win" or not.

7sm

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, when Grandmaster Parker was asked why he carried a gun, he held up his hands and said "These don't work from ten feet away."

Please remember that. If a grandmaster didn't think he could disarm someone in time from ten feet away, what makes you think you can do it?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya I live my life by that motto... "only use violence if you are completely sure you have to". It's a good motto for more than just home invasion....... sometimes I have to chant the words to myself when dealing with rude clerks..... HA!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HAHA, sometimes I wish I could develop a system of MA that worked through the phone too!!! Man, wouldn't that be great!!

7sm

OP
K

kenposcum

Okay, 7sm, you got me. I've never been shot. But I've known (or at least made their acquaintance) a few people who have been shot, and even the guy who took a .32 through the leg was able to run away. And while one shot can most definitely kill you, it's not for sure. One of my students was in Vietnam, and he took an AK-47 slug to the gut but still functioned, and was able to return fire, until he was evacuated. I've seen what a gunshot wound can do, both at the time and in the aftermath, and I resent the assertion that I was being in any way flippant. Sure, it's a gamble, sure, you might get killed, but if somebody gets into this situation, I don't want them to freeze just because Mr. Bad Guy has a pistol. Awareness of the risks, not

OP
K

kenposcum

[something goofy just happened with this message thing and deleted half my post]
...not over-fear. If one is too cautious, too fearful of the risks, well, one will freeze at which point one will die.
Oh, what was I saying? Yeah, the stats on gunshots not killing the majority of gunshot victims are from a police training text ("The Tactical Edge"), Jim Cirillo's "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights," a book by Rex Applegate (I can't remember, but I think it was "Kill or Get Killed,") and research done by Fairbarn, who facetiously suggested that a bullet three inches in diameter would be necessary to guarantee a killshot. As for the training I have engaged in, one of my best friends is a federal LE agent for the Dept of Health and Human Services. He bought us a box of Simunition, so we could practice gun defenses. Even though the powder load is lighter, it still hurt like hell (and the paint, which washed out, was still freakin' embarrassing)so it's not as though I only practice with "wooden guns and rubber knives." (how dare you! ;)