what to do against lighter and faster people

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am the biggest person (size) in my dojang, some one can see this an advantage and yes it is sometimes, however it's dificult to me do sparring with lighter and quikly people, no matter how fast I try to send my kicks they don't arrive on time and most of the times I am chasing my partners.

Yes been big is good cause the body kicks and punches do not hurt in anyform however I am strugling with this. Offcorse when the timing or fake is good I send the guys to the floor but talking strictly about points I need to score more.

Is there an advise you can give to me?

Manny

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not TKD, but I spar against smaller, lighter, faster, and younger people who have good high kicks that I cannot evade by speed. The answer for me is to play to my strengths; get inside, jam the kicks, and bust 'em up. I often step on their feet as I move in, pinning them to the ground. I actually don't do that on purpose, it just works out that way. I see the leg come up, and I move in at them as fast as I can. It takes away their distancing that they need to kick me in the head, and if I can get under that leg with my shoulder or elbow, it's all over for them.

I have sparred one black belt whom I have trouble doing that to, and another who is just way too skilled to let me get in before he gets his kick off. Not to mention that in my art, moving in close invites the punch instead of the kick. But on a lot of the younger faster karateka, it works for me. They depend too much on that kick and when I jam it, they don't know how to react by punching. No offense, but I think TKD is much more kicking than punching; this may be of value to you.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Use footwork. Part of the problem bigger guys have (I know, I am one) is that we're slower than smaller guys. If you execute a kick from a sparring stance (as your first offensive movement) the counter kicker's kick will be faster and his timing will be good. If you make a fast step forward (normal step, running step, etc) then he has to move back and you can generally catch them easier.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Manny, based on my experience:
1. Your mass means you have more momentum, so it takes more energy to get you going and to stop. Focus on your balance and your stance recovery following your techniques. The better your balance and mechanics, the more options you will have. Look at your balance in your footwork and fighting stance when you move.
2. Practice your checks and feints so your opponent does not know as well when you are really attacking. This should also mess up their attacks. Your power is your strength, so you want to make sure each hit knocks them off balance so they can't counter as well. If you pound 'em once, continue in combination to keep knocking 'em right out of the ring.
3. Because of your size you do not need to focus so much on making your techniques powerful. You have power because of your mass. Train with focus on speed. Besides the good stance and recovery that will increase your speed, your bag and shield work should be focused on hitting as fast as you can...hard will take care of itself.

Go get 'em!

Carl

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Use footwork. Part of the problem bigger guys have (I know, I am one) is that we're slower than smaller guys. If you execute a kick from a sparring stance (as your first offensive movement) the counter kicker's kick will be faster and his timing will be good. If you make a fast step forward (normal step, running step, etc) then he has to move back and you can generally catch them easier.
Small people will circle you in the hopes that you will try something stupid. DON"T; just wait and do your fight your way. They will be coming and you need to be ready.
Sean

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use footwork -- but don't assume that you have to be slower just because you're bigger. Strive for efficiency and deception in your footwork and movement, and use your footwork to offset their speed by limiting their actions.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
first work on your timing, then
hit'em harder... they'll slow down.
icon12.gif

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do not fight their type of fight, fight your type of fight. They like to bounce around, come in, kick and leave quickly. So don't give them that opportunity, cut them off, force them into a corner.

Combinations work well too, the first kick of the combination does not need to connect, it just needs to place them in the right spot for the second kick. Try to anticipate their moves, if they always dodge right then aim your kicks where they will dodge and not where they currently are. They will jump right into the kick if you are lucky.

As somebody else has already said, mess them up a bit. When they start to kick, step towards them. You can take the hit (think of it as an occupational hazard) and keep on coming. When you get next to them, punch the chest protector. That will knock them back just far enough for a decent turning kick or back kick if you time it right.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being a larger guy myself, I've been trying to work on my footwork more and utilizing more angles to opening up targets. It seems to help me out most of the time. I also try and close the gap between myself and my opponent if he/she is small and faster than me. Being that we do point sparring, there are limits as to what we can and cannot do, like jamming kicks and hand strikes to the head.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Small people will circle you in the hopes that you will try something stupid. DON"T; just wait and do your fight your way. They will be coming and you need to be ready.
Sean

When I see I can't go get them that's when I swich and WAIT them to catch then off guard that are the times when I knock them to the floor with a side kick. Some tech that work once in a while is the pande tolya dolyo chagui, I just raise my right kick and send a hook kick and without lowering my leg I send inmediately a roundhouse, the ig the first kick does not contact the other may.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being the light gal...

it's about controlling the space. (I can't believe I am giving advice to a big guy to beat the little guy! :D)

It's all about being where you can't reach me. As somebody said, circling.
You make contact I am history, even if you check your kick, etc...(got a NICE green bruise one time, colliding legs with a kid twice my size...he didn't do anything, just a very mild mannered kick I happened to catch with my shin.)

I try to get in from the blind side, without getting into the illegal zone around back. So if you take that away, you got it licked! ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing on being bigger and speed... Look at Muhammad Ali

[yt]ycry16J-pU4[/yt]

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saying "footwork" is great, but without more it is of little help. Here is something to try.
draw them in. This is how.
Take a step toward them. They will likely move back. Now try it again and after they move back, you shuffle back 2 times. See if they move toward you to close the gap. They probably will.
Now set them up by doing it again. But, as you finish the second shuffle to the rear and as they are coming in, you reverse directions and attack. Exactly what technique(s) you will use depends on you.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
also:

Use the front leg. does not matter much how, feign, snap, thrust....it's quick, and does not telegraph much. The you can follow with a back leg technique and then close in for the fists.

Something like a front snap/round, then a back leg round or side, followed, as you close the gap with some good punches. ;)

Latest Discussions