easy ones are my favorites

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some nights ago we were doing kicking drills in dojang and showed to my students the two new kicks we are going to practice: a) ti chagui (spining back kick/back kick) and b) furyo chagi (hook kick), both kicks were hard on the students because of the rotation of the hips and balace.

I took the time to teach them the correct way of doiing them and was told that the furyo chagi was pointless in a real self defense scenario because it is too hard to send it right.

I told students that there are some kicks that are more dificult than others to do but we must to adhere to the program and we have to try to do them right and yes I feel more confortable sending easy kicks to my oponent like the front,round,side kicks but there is a place for the ti chagi and it can be devastating if doing good with the right timing.

Maybe I am too easy about kicks but the really ones that work for me are the simple straight ones.

Any coments here?

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who has used a hook kick in a real self defense situation (I've posted the story of how I lose an eye in another thread) I can only say what I have said time and time again. Every kick has it's place in both sparring and self defense. It's completely and totally situational. And in the right situation, a hook kick to the head can be very effective. It was for me.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's always the easier ones that are favored and most practical.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, keeping it simple is most often the best way, however: the more tools we have in our tool box, the more ways we have to fix a problem.

Naturally there are techniques that don't come easy, but the more we learn the better we get, the greater the understanding of the mechanics which also translates in a better performance of the simple techniques.

Or in other words:
At some time you have to learn to fly, Grasshopper! ;)

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i personally never thought that a scissor jump kick would be useful in a self defence situation, until i actually used a jump scissor front kick in a real situation and ended the fight there and then.

i like granfire's quote above, the more tools we have in our tool box, the more ways we have to fix a problem.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The "easy ones" are easier because keeping your balance and learning to develop force through your body to point-of-impact is not as complex.

Without balance your power is almost nil. Without technique and body unity you are just swinging a limb--this is how board breaking attempts fail. IMO, not only do the harder kicks become dangerous with practice, they make you learn better balance and how to use your body to maximize power at the point-of-impact.

Street problems happen on unstable and uneven surfaces in unexpected footgear. Not only does having more tools in the toolbox give you options, it means you more likely have the balance and coordination to deliver the big hurt with whatever you have confidence in.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
...and was told that the furyo chagi was pointless in a real self defense scenario because it is too hard to send it right.
Manny

When first learning to use one, a knife is just a knife. But with experience one learns why a skinning knife is curved, why a fillet knife is flexible and slim, why a boning knife has a certain length and shape, and how the big cimeter knife is shaped to work best with large animals and cuts of meat. Eventually a knife is no longer "just a knife".

Most kicks are "pointless in a real self defense scenario" if you haven't learned them well enough.

That doesn't mean one should only learn about the butcher knife and use it for all tasks.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As others have said, the more tools you have, the more likely you are to have the right tool for the situation you're in. Also, different kicks are simpler or more difficult depending on the person - the kicks that a person thinks are the easiest are the ones that person will practice and use the most, but each person's body and abilities are different, and each person will have a different collection of "easy ones".

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously the basic kicks are usually the ones considered best for the real life situation, but some people will be more proficient than others with certain kicks. I love the axe kick but never really saw it as a good kick for "the street", and then I saw someone end a fight very quickly with an axe kick to the top of someone's head, no sooner did their heel connect with the other guy's head before he collapsed in a heap on the ground. For me personally, the hook kick is one of the most 'comfortable' kicks to do, whereas I struggle with some kicks others find easy, so a lot comes down to which kicks the individual finds "easy".

Latest Discussions