Silly question about sparring

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am having troubles with my weight when doing full sparring and I hope you can give me some advises about sparring, not diet,etc,etc. I had drop several pounds but I am a heavy guy.

I have no match inside dojang I mean there is no single guy that is in my weight division, yes I have tall partners in the range of 75-85 kilogrmas but I am 105 kilograms this is 20 kilos more than the other guys, because of this I am slower than them, so basically when I do my kick combos I am to slow and it is more a chase than anithing else.

What can I do to kick them, I try to close the gap, even I use spining back kicks and sometimes I score but it's hard to conect lighter guys.

Maybe if I had one or two heavy guys like myself things would be even and feel more confortable.

Manny

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I can help, but not coming from a TKD background it may be irrelevant so feel free to ignore what follows if you want. :)

I am a short, stocky guy and weigh around 110kg and therefore the majority of guys I spar with are taller and lighter than me. This has led me to have to train in different ways to try and compete. Generally you will be slower than a lighter opponent, but you can train yourself to be quicker.

One of the ways I achieved this was to always train with a set of wrist and ankle weights fitted, it was tough at the beginning but not only did it strengthen my legs and arms, when I removed the weights to spar the feeling of weightlessness is awesome and I found that my kicking and punching speed had increased tenfold in a matter of weeks.

The next step I became a counter fighter, very rarely attacking unless an obvious opening occurred as these lighter fighters always managed to get out of the way, so I would look for that punch or kick that I could easily block to exploit an opening and then go to town. However, this was full contact kick boxing so maybe slightly different to the way you will spar.

Also being shorter than the majority of my opponents I taught myself to have a slightly lower stance and a compact fighting shape, this made it harder to hit me and taller guys seem to struggle when they have to punch downwards or lower their kicking angles, again opening themselves up to counters which suits my fighting style perfectly.

Anyway, I hope this is of some use to you, if not, never mind and good luck with the sparring. :)

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am having troubles with my weight when doing full sparring and I hope you can give me some advises about sparring, not diet,etc,etc. I had drop several pounds but I am a heavy guy.

I have no match inside dojang I mean there is no single guy that is in my weight division, yes I have tall partners in the range of 75-85 kilogrmas but I am 105 kilograms this is 20 kilos more than the other guys, because of this I am slower than them, so basically when I do my kick combos I am to slow and it is more a chase than anithing else.

What can I do to kick them, I try to close the gap, even I use spining back kicks and sometimes I score but it's hard to conect lighter guys.

Maybe if I had one or two heavy guys like myself things would be even and feel more confortable.

Manny

I'm not a TKD background, but I'm a big guy. However I surprise people because I'm quick and fight like a small guy.

My tip is learn how your body works and push yourself to get faster. Worked for me. Also, misdirection is a very powerful ally. Get them to focus at one strike and then surprise them with your real attack.

Other than that? Work on your speed. It's not impossible and will shock people expecting a slower opponent.
Also as was pointed out above, try being more of a counter fighter as well. Opponents leave themselves open when they attack. Takes a bit of training to be effective in it, but it's worth it. Just don't let your other skills suffer when training counterstriking and grappling.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd probably work on proactive trapping. If your opponents are always evading your attacks and, presumably, counter attacking, then anticipate what the most common counters are and prepare your own counter. If your opponents are sparring under WTF style rules, they are likely throwing some kind of round kick. If so, it should be fairly simple to set up your own trap counter. Throw your first attack just to get a reaction and then try to counter the counter when they close the distance for you.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the TKD sparring ruleset to be kind of unfair to stocky heavy folks. Come to Hapkido.. :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Work to your strengths. If you lack the mentality to just get in there and engage them, dont. Do something youre good at.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Manny

Older people have a similar problem. You don't need someone the same as yourself, you can bring them into your house and beat them with experience. You don't need to be faster, you just need to know more.

The philosophy of Taekwondo tells us that we should look to work in harmony with nature whilst ensuring that our opponent must work against it. This is how a heavier, slower person can win. Some ideas to that theme:

If you work on your anticipation and sidestepping abilities, and eliminate any unnecessary motions, in the time it takes your opponent to initiate an attack, you can move out of reach and place yourself in a position of advantage where you can kick but they are unable to follow up their first technique. Do not settle your weight into the new stance before kicking. Only one single foot movement is necessary to do this: move the rear foot to your back side by 45-90 degrees, and block with the front arm. Retaliate from the new position.

Show them a target, until they take the bait, then remove it through superior footwork and blocking, then retaliate. If you do this perfectly, the opponents natural forward motion will propel them perfectly into your kick. If you decide to launch a back kick / push kick, you'll catch them without a foot to put out behind them, and they will fall on their behind.

Be ready with the front leg to shut down spinning kicks and rushes, and always try to time your kicks so their foot is still in the air, or so that you catch them on the up-bounce - they will have to reach the ground again before they can react.

There are a lot of ways you can use gravity, distance and crafty strategy to leave your opponent working against the world more than he is working against you. I do this because I am a bit out of shape, and the younger, fitter guys were dancing around me throwing all kinds of fancy techniques. Now it's a bit more even.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, size and weight really does not matter all the much. You have to be a smarter fighters. Now with that said there are always people that will be just simply better than you but you can still compete. You have to learn that every kick or punch that you do will not be for scoring. Many of them will be setup moves for your real attack. Also you have to learn to exchange techniques also. That is to take one to give one, but some times you give a better one than you take. Learn to slide or step in at the time of your opponent is attacking. This will jam them but put you in to position to counter at your best distance. It take practice and time to do all these things but it does work. So keep practicing and you will get better and better at it. Just remember that there is always someone better than you. So you will not always match up well with everyone. Hope this helps.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Several above have suggested developing your ability to counter and trap. The key skill you must have is the ability to check-- to fake/bait/tease your opponent into attacking when you want him to so that you can counter.

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Several above have suggested developing your ability to counter and trap. The key skill you must have is the ability to check-- to fake/bait/tease your opponent into attacking when you want him to so that you can counter.
It is also the weight difference....180 vs 230 is huge....your going to be slower.....yu gotta get inside, maybe take a shot....but when yur deep inside yu can show them what heavy weight power is......thai plum them if yu can

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I find the TKD sparring ruleset to be kind of unfair to stocky heavy folks. Come to Hapkido.. :)

While I believe taekwondo syllabus has enough good fighting techniques and strategies for all kinds of people, I really think olympic style sparring (shihap kyorugi) does favor the lightweights, so the heavier people will have to do an extra effort to counter the advantages of lighter opponents. If it was in a different rulset, allowing more various uses of hands and arms, for example, I believe closing the distance would put you in a great advantage, as you use the size and strength of your body with strikes in closer ranges, and locks and throws as well. This said, I think just can never compare your performance in olympic sparring as your performance in general fighting. Changing the ruleset, you can easily be the big guy everyone's afraid of!

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is also the weight difference....180 vs 230 is huge....your going to be slower.....yu gotta get inside, maybe take a shot....but when yur deep inside yu can show them what heavy weight power is......thai plum them if yu can

I disagree with this. A lighter player is likely to be faster with evasion and counter footwork and if you try to go to them to close the distance, they will easily adjust and you will pay the price.

The best strategy for the heavier player is to draw them to you and aim to catch them with a kick from such and angle and at such a time point that they are unable to evade or respond I.e. when they have one or both feet off the ground and would have to turn more than usual to reach you.

Trying to show someone what heavyweight power is misses the point. You should be hitting this person not with your strength, but with the natural forces of the world. Those forces are the same regardless of your weight.

Also, this is a WTF sparring question, so I'm fairly sure 'Thai plumming' someone has no place here, whatever you think it might be.

P.S. if you could type in proper English, that would be great. This isn't a text message, and if you have respect for the OP, please demonstrate that through spending the extra two seconds that it would take to type properly.

Gnarlie

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think weight has much to do with it. It's what kind of weight you have. There's 200 lbs and there's TWO HUNDRED lbs. If a person is overweight and (relatively) old, that person can except to get "beaten" when sparring with younger/more athletic players.

A much more experienced player, or a "past his prime" player who used to have more skill than his opponents can make adjustments, but like someone else said, better is better. It's a nice sentiment that "experience is better than speed and athleticism," but I don't believe that it's generally grounded in reality, at least as far as sparring is concerned (especially WTF rules or other sport-style sparring).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, maybe I am not very qualified to comment, being the lightweight shorty :)

But as I have to work around range and size (power) the heavier guy has to work around agility, maybe flexibility.

I have to make tracks to get to the weaker side, the off side, or around the reach (I am ever so greatful to the two gentlemen that they only went at 20% on me....)

So you control the mat: make the other guy run around you, maneuver them into the corner. Learn to read them, be wheree they want to retreat to before they move.

With age comes experience and deviousness! ;)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I can help, but not coming from a TKD background it may be irrelevant so feel free to ignore what follows if you want. :)

I am a short, stocky guy and weigh around 110kg and therefore the majority of guys I spar with are taller and lighter than me. This has led me to have to train in different ways to try and compete. Generally you will be slower than a lighter opponent, but you can train yourself to be quicker.

One of the ways I achieved this was to always train with a set of wrist and ankle weights fitted, it was tough at the beginning but not only did it strengthen my legs and arms, when I removed the weights to spar the feeling of weightlessness is awesome and I found that my kicking and punching speed had increased tenfold in a matter of weeks.

The next step I became a counter fighter, very rarely attacking unless an obvious opening occurred as these lighter fighters always managed to get out of the way, so I would look for that punch or kick that I could easily block to exploit an opening and then go to town. However, this was full contact kick boxing so maybe slightly different to the way you will spar.

Also being shorter than the majority of my opponents I taught myself to have a slightly lower stance and a compact fighting shape, this made it harder to hit me and taller guys seem to struggle when they have to punch downwards or lower their kicking angles, again opening themselves up to counters which suits my fighting style perfectly.

Anyway, I hope this is of some use to you, if not, never mind and good luck with the sparring. :)

Thank you as you do I try to be a counter fighter, why? because of several things, firsth of all because I love to score with spining back kicks, secondly because as you do I try to deflect the incoming blow or simply dodge it to then launch my own blow, thirly because I am slower (because the size) compared with my ligther fellows, fourth because in a self defense scenario I like to grab and control or take the bg to the ground and finish him, etc,etc,

About the weights you put on wrist and feet how much do you recomend me? 1 or 1.5 kilo per limb or how much?

Manny

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
With the weights I would suggest a bit of a play around and see. You want something that you feel and notice but not something too heavy that would encumber your movements etc.

1kg to start is a good idea then see how much affect it has and up it accordingly.

Hope that helps :)

Latest Discussions