What style would you add to your training?

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Two questions;

If you could learn any style through private instruction without the restrictions of availability, time, or cost what would it be?
(Not a style you already practice)

What is the martial art that interests you the the least?
(Don't take offense on anyone's answer!):p

Last edited:
OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Two questions;

If you could learn any style through private instruction without the restrictions of availability, time, or cost what would it be?

(Don't take offense om anyone's answer!):p

Q #1
San Soo kung fu or Judo.

Lean more towards San Soo because my dad and grandfather trained in that style back when my dad was a kid.

Q #2
Tai chi

For those who are going to comment that, "Tai chi isn't even a martial art" I would answer, "fine then Aikido"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would do an armoued sword fighting of some sort.

I would avoid anything that is completely static. Air punching, kata that kind of thing. Because I enjoy playing with the game of martial arts.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Instead of trying to learn another MA system, I will spend the extra time to polish/enhance/test the tools already in my toolbox.

You're missing the fun!:)

This is a what if question.

What if you couldn't. Hypothetically.

If the only option was something else?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two questions;

Firstly, I wouldn't look for private instruction, as I value the variety of partners available in a wider class.

As to what style, that varies by day. Some would be mostly new to me, others would expand on a small amount of experience I have in them. Right now the ones that come immediately to mind are Judo, BJJ, and boxing. I'd love to add something with more focus on kicks than I've had, but I don't know enough to guess which style I'd be more interested in.

EDIT: Forgot to reply to the second. I can't think of any style I wouldn't find interesting with the right instructor. There are many that aren't really what I'm looking for, from a fighting skill perspective, but they might be interesting for learning some new principles to play with. Probably the least likely one for me would be Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido (Tohei's branch - Ki Society), though I'd be interested in that one for a time, just to find out what the study is like.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're missing the fun!:)

This is a what if question.

What if you couldn't. Hypothetically.

If the only option was something else?
You ask whether I should stay home and spend my weekend with my wife, or go out to date another girl. Since I don't think I can find any girl who is prettier than my wife, I decide to stay home with my wife instead. :D

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Two questions;

Sambo or Capoeira

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You ask whether I should stay home and spend my weekend with my wife, or go out to date another girl. Since I don't think I can find any girl who is prettier than my wife, I decide to stay home with my wife instead. :D

Nice comeback!

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sambo or Capoeira
I'm kind of interested in capoeria as well. Not from the perspective of improving my balence and fall recovery. I think it would be kind of fun too.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
If it can't be something I've studied at all before then probably a Chinese art since I haven't really studied anything but Tai Chi and very, very briefly Xing-Yi. If it can be anything and the instructor is guaranteed to be good I'd probably choose something rare, Bajichuan, Southern Mantis, Bak Mei, or maybe Southern Dragon.

What wouldn't I do? Modern Wushu, at least the forms based, exhibition versions don't really appeal to me. I've heard some people lump Sanda and Shuai Jiao in as a part of modern Wushu, but I'm not talking about them - I would definitely train in Sanda and Shuai Jiao if I had a good school available to me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive done a number of systems over the years and my curiosity is mostly sated. That said, another thread recently hit this topic, and what another member said, it might have been @Tony Dismukes
and I agreed, was HEMA for sword, and other stuff too, whatever they might offer. I have a good deal of weapons material in what I already do, I would be interested in learning the European take on it.

What I am not interested in is Tae Kwon Do or BJJ. I’m just not interested in them. I did a small bit of grappling some years ago, and for a while it was under a good teacher. I respect what it is and has to offer, but I just don’t have the interest.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two questions;

i know its not quite your question, but i really wouldnt add another style, you cant do justice to two, unless you have no social life/ other interests/ comitments. then your just diluting one with another half learn one, it may ve different if you have,achived a level of mastery in the existing one, it takes great commitment to fit one/ two nights a week in, at least pre covid, now i seem to have an endlass amount of spare time, but no clases,

if i were to replace, id probebly do judo, coz its the best, if i was younger id do mma, but im to old for that now

the least would be, anything that requires wearing a skirt, wearing costume from the 1600s , kickibg above the waist, waving stupid weapons about or doing hand stands, gettibg punched a lot is also a bit of a turn off, so no mma

Last edited:
OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i know its not quite your question, but i really wouldnt add another style, you cant do justice to two, unless you have no social life/ other interests/ comitments. then your just diluting one with another half learn one, it may ve different if you have,achived a level of mastery in the existing one, it takes great commitment to fit one/ two nights a week in, at least pre covid, now i seem to have an endlass amount of spare time, but no clases,

if i were to replace, id probebly do judo, coz its the best, if i was younger id do mma, but im to old for that now

the least would be, anything that requires wearing a skirt, wearing costume from the 1600s , kickibg above the waist, waving stupid weapons about or doing hand stands, gettibg punched a lot is also a bit of a turn off, so no mma
If you don't mind me asking, what style(s) do you practice?

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just glanced back at my post when it got a couple of likes and realized that it sounds like I've only ever studied Tai Chi and Xing-Yi. They (plus I guess seminar, demo, level exposure to Wing Chun) are the only Chinese arts I've ever studied, but I've studied a lot of arts from other places.

What I am not interested in is Tae Kwon Do or BJJ. I’m just not interested in them. I did a small bit of grappling some years ago, and for a while it was under a good teacher. I respect what it is and has to offer, but I just don’t have the interest.

Yeah, for a long time TKD and BJJ would have been the absolute bottom of my list too. I've since developed an interest in TKD because of some things that @Dirty Dog said about it on thread a while back made it sound like it could be a lot more worth while to me than my limited experience had suggested. Never the less, I do really understand why it doesn't appeal. I've done a very small amount of BJJ and I know there's cool stuff to learn there, but I've got really thin skin on the inside of my biceps and anytime I've done serious ground work I've ended up with terrible abrasions there that take a long time to heal. I've never done enough ground work to buy a rash guard so I've been wondering if that would take care of the issue or at least mitigate it sufficiently. If it did that would move BJJ up my list a bit, though still not to the top.

Since I've moved cross country recently and have to find a new school anyway I've been looking at what's near me and there are several BJJ schools that seem like they have fantastic potential. It's still not the most exciting art to me (some of that may be ignorance on my part) but I'll take great instruction in an art that's not perfect over mediocre instruction in an art that excites me, and definitely over no instruction at all in the art that I might think is perfect.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't seek out private instruction, but I'll play along. If I were to do that it would be with Danny Inosanto.

As for what I wouldn't do...I don't know if it's even around anymore, but Monkey Style Kung Fu.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I could find real Ninjitsu, I'd train in that in a heartbeat. But, ideally, that would include non-combat stuff as well, like stealth movement and deception.

As far as one I wouldn't like... I have a love/hate relationship with BJJ. I could probably use a refresher, but I just don't mix well with the art.

OP
Taipan

Taipan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Let me know if you find real ninjitsu

Tenshin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like to learn S.A.W. Japanese wrestling. I do practice Catch but I always wanted to train S.A.W. Specific. I did train some that was mixed with Kudo and Jujutsu. I think Paulson's CSW is the closest to S.A.W.

Latest Discussions