Info on Sytems/Styles

C

crbnwdn

Hello all,

I am new to these boards. Can't ya tell. I joined this forum in hopes to be able to pick the minds of many who are involved in the martial arts. I was a student of TKD for a couple of years untill realizing that my instructor was only focused on teaching the bare essentials for competition sparring. I am fine with the idea of competition, but I was in it to gain all there was to the art and felt as though I was being cheated. Then I moved away from the area and got married. over the last couple years I have wanted to become active in martial arts again, and I am now ready to do something about it. The issue is which style or system to begin learning. I have been trying to do as much research as I can from available books and sources online to try and identify the style or system that would best suit my interest. I am presently reading two books that I really find interesting. One is "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature by Mitsugi Saotome" the other is "Bruce Lee Artist of Life edited by John Little". Both of these books speak of the martial arts in terms of both the physical and philisophical. I have found them very interesting to say the least. I am also finding many resources that state the martial arts originate from that of an art taught to the chnese (Chuan Fa) and then later developed into branches and then later adopted by the Japanese and manipulated into thier own interpretations of these arts to suit thier particular needs and the enviroment of which they lived. So, I am looking for some guidance as to which is the best art if there is one, or at least a best system to start in. Now I know this question is broad and also dependant on many factors, as well as have the potential for argument. I am just looking for opinions. I am very interested in the idea of a hard and soft style as opposed to a style that utilizes only one aspect, either hard or soft. Linear and circular as opposed to a singular angle or approach. A style that is its own yet has the ability to conform to an attack and compensate for difference. To any who have some helpful words of wisdo I appreciate in advance your help. Thank you.

OP
C

crbnwdn

If I have made this too broad a question please let me know and I will try to make my inquiry a bit more concise.

OP
H

hand2handCombat

Muay Thai is a brute force art that is proven effective and has been around for couple thousand years. it has intense cardio workout that will put you in great shape and loose any excess fat you want.

Brazilian Jiu_Jitsu is also a proven effective art that is mainly groundfighting. if a fight is ever taken down to the floor, this is the weapon u use.

Jeet Kun Do is a great hybrid art made by Bruce Lee. it combines various arts and is also effective.

there are so many great arts out there, these are the only ones i really know of

OP
C

crbnwdn

Hand2Hand,

Thanks for your reply. Jeet Kune Do is something I have begun looking into. As I understand, the foundation for Jeet Kune Do is that of Wing Chun kung fu, and the philisophical direction of the Tao. Those two put in actiontogether make alot of sense even in a simple mind.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion, some of the best balance of hard and soft is to be found in Southern Chinese Kung Fu and Okinawan Karate. They also have the advantage of good stancework--important for a beginner.

For an art that fits itself to you JKD comes to mind, and also the Filipino arts.

Look at some of the other fora here and you'll find plenty of info.!

OP
F

fist of fury

what might make it easier is what kind of schools are in your area?

OP
J

J-kid

Most books teach Junk, most books are out for your money and some books dont really teach MA just a bunch of bs they saw off a movie and desided they could make a book off it. Just tell you about ma books, Some are good , BUt not to many

What kind of fighting are you looking for.
I am taking Judo/JiJutsu and on the side i am about to take kenpo if the school works out, this conbo i think will give me a edge on most fighters , thats one of many conbos where do you live and what is around your neighbor hood? Your friend judo-kid

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid

Most books teach Junk, most books are out for your money and some books dont really teach MA just a bunch of bs they saw off a movie and desided they could make a book off it. Just tell you about ma books, Some are good , BUt not to many

What kind of fighting are you looking for.
I am taking Judo/JiJutsu and on the side i am about to take kenpo if the school works out, this conbo i think will give me a edge on most fighters , thats one of many conbos where do you live and what is around your neighbor hood? Your friend judo-kid
I have around 50 or so books and only about 2-3 of them are not what I really care for. I believe if you have good concepts that you can learn from books. If you know what will work and what is junk.
Bob :asian:

OP
F

fanged_seamus

I'm biased in my opinion, but American Kenpo stresses both hard and soft techniques, with both linear and circular defenses. It teaches adaptability and tailoring of techniques for a variety of circumstances.

Asking for the "best" art is sure to get you a million different answers. Maybe you should tell us a little more about what you are looking for (self-defense, physical training, weapons, tradition, etc.).

Oh well -- I'd still suggest checking out American Kenpo in addition to the other arts mentioned above.

Tad Finnegan

OP
M

MartialArtist

Look for military TKD. Military TKD is different in that it's focused on self-defense and not really on breaking or sparring or forms. They stress technique, physical condition, mental training, and knowledge/skill.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are interested in martial arts simply for the fighting, there are some systems like military tkd that are excelent at self defense. I would have to put my vote in JKD for self defense though. It is well rounded and very easy to adapt to any situation.

You mentioned that you are interested in MA as physical and philisphical, if you are looking into MA for more than simply fighting and self defense, I would suggest a Chinese Martial Arts system. Now, I am probably quite biased, but most Kung Fu systems provide legendary self defense, while also falling into other parts of your life such as philosophy, and general health. The dopwnfall to most CMA are that they are "lifetime" arts, and take many, many years to really "master" (if thats possible).

So it all depends on what you are looking for. Also, I agree with whomever said that it henges on what schools are in your area. I would not advise trying to learn via book, or video, there is somehting missed there.

7sm

OP
H

hand2handCombat

what ive noticed is that most if not all MA teachers dont teach everything theres is to know. so u go and buy a video on the art and u learn from that. apply the techniques from the vid when sparring:asian:

OP
Q

Qasim

Originally posted by hand2handCombat

what ive noticed is that most if not all MA teachers dont teach everything theres is to know. so u go and buy a video on the art and u learn from that. apply the techniques from the vid when sparring:asian:

That is so wrong. How do you define "Don't teach everything there is to know?"

The basics have to be taught and mastered, then variations are added to these basics. No situation is exactly the same so again variations are made to fit the situation. Learning from a videotape will only give you that person's variation or basic technique which was demonstrated for that tape.

What do you do when that technique you learn from the tape doesn't work but the one the instructor at the dojo would have taught does work. Videotapes are training aids, they don't and can't replace live instruction. You can't ask the videotape questions, and you can't get a feel for the technique from it.

:soapbox:

OP
C

crbnwdn

I would first like to thank all of whom have given there reply to this thread. It seems as though I could stike quite a debate with this question.

Seven Star,
Yes I am interested in a system that is both physical and philisophical yet applicable and effective in the real world. I dont think dropping into a horse stance and throwing reverse punches is very real world applicable. You mention your view on the Chinese arts. I had been seeing alot about "Chuan FA", but as I surf around a bit more I am seeing that as just another way of saying "Kempo/Kenpo". I have been looking into the style of Wing Chun, but can not find a school near me. In the recent issue of Black Belt mag, threre is an article on Shorinji Kempo. This is a style which seems to hold all that I am looking for in a style, yet again there is no school to be found near me. I live in the state of Texas right now, just north of Dallas in fact (moved here from Boston MA). There is a school near me however that has my interest enough to go take a look. They teach three arts that interest me quite a bit.

Uechi-ryu Karate, Aikido and Iaido. His credentials read as follows:

I teach Muso Jikiden Eishinryu Iaido, in which I am a nanadan (7th degree "black belt",instructor) and have studied for 20 years, 10 of which were in Japan under swordmaster, Noboru Yamashita; and Uechiryu karate, in which I am a godan (5th degree black belt) and have studied for 33 years, one of which was under the great master, Seiyu Shinjo.

The Aikido is taught by another instructor who is I think I was told is a 5th Dan, and I do not know with whom he studied.

To any of you, do these look like worthy credentials and can anyone here express any thoughts on the Uechi-ryu style karate?

Again many thanks to all who have lended thier support.

OP
C

crbnwdn

Oh, about the horse stance. I do understand its benefits in learning however from the couple years of TKD I have. Center of balance, strength, focus etc. I did not mean to say it was at all meaningless.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Understood about horse stance, it varies so much from art to art. I guess what I like about most kung fu systems is the energy flow that takes place. Its a flowing art, and big on internal. It depends on your specific style as to dropping to horse stance using reverse punches. I have never used that particular act in any event, but then again, I study Praying Mantis Kung Fu. I actually live not far from you now I guess, I live in Tyler Texas, east of Dallas. I lived in Dallas many years of my life. I have to say I don't know much about any systeme in karate, but Aikido is a very good flowing system as well. Of course take these suggestions as a grain of salt, I am most likely quite biased!:D

Good luck on your search for a school, I have ALOT of friends in Dallas that study and teach different MA. If you would liek me to ask any of them about a certain school I would be happy to. My old College roomate is now a personal trainer there, he goes around to different MA schools and talks to them like he is going to start classes, then he comes back and makes a list of schools he feels comfortable with recommending to his clients. So I can certainly ask if you like.

7sm:asian:

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by crbnwdn

I would first like to thank all of whom have given there reply to this thread. It seems as though I could stike quite a debate with this question.

Seven Star,
Yes I am interested in a system that is both physical and philisophical yet applicable and effective in the real world. I dont think dropping into a horse stance and throwing reverse punches is very real world applicable. You mention your view on the Chinese arts. I had been seeing alot about "Chuan FA", but as I surf around a bit more I am seeing that as just another way of saying "Kempo/Kenpo". I have been looking into the style of Wing Chun, but can not find a school near me. In the recent issue of Black Belt mag, threre is an article on Shorinji Kempo. This is a style which seems to hold all that I am looking for in a style, yet again there is no school to be found near me. I live in the state of Texas right now, just north of Dallas in fact (moved here from Boston MA). There is a school near me however that has my interest enough to go take a look. They teach three arts that interest me quite a bit.

Uechi-ryu Karate, Aikido and Iaido. His credentials read as follows:

I teach Muso Jikiden Eishinryu Iaido, in which I am a nanadan (7th degree "black belt",instructor) and have studied for 20 years, 10 of which were in Japan under swordmaster, Noboru Yamashita; and Uechiryu karate, in which I am a godan (5th degree black belt) and have studied for 33 years, one of which was under the great master, Seiyu Shinjo.

The Aikido is taught by another instructor who is I think I was told is a 5th Dan, and I do not know with whom he studied.

To any of you, do these look like worthy credentials and can anyone here express any thoughts on the Uechi-ryu style karate?

Again many thanks to all who have lended thier support.
Shorinji Kempo is a very good system, yet for the basic motion and real world studies in dynamics, rooting, uprooting, adhereing, following, pushing, pulling, etc; a Ch'uan Fa Gong Fu based Kenpo System would give you all you needed in offensive, and defensive blocking, striking and counter-striking and throwing combinations. Systems such as Zen Kempo-jitsu, Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei, Long Ch'uan Fa, Shaolin Ch'uan Fa, Shaolin Quan, Chinese Boxing, Chinese Kenpo, Raydan Kempo, Dragon Style Gong Fu, White Crane Style Gong Fu, etc. These systems give you the basic internal and external in's and out's of the martial way. Praying Mantis, has techniques similar to chinese kenpo also. Now there is one system which combines several philosophies and martial theory to form an excellent system of martial reality based combat; Cheng Hsin T'ui Shou or "The Art Of Effortless Power" Master Peter Ralston is the Founder of this system. The systems roots are Aikido, Tai Chi Ch'uan, and Baguazhang, with influences of Judo, Jujitsu, and Boxing. The Cheng Shou Work is just that; a work of art! He is also located in Texas also, as i can see is your location.
Sincerely, in Humility; Chiduce!
:asian:

Latest Discussions