is the style you practice the right one for you?

would you pursue a different system?

• no, i'm 100% sure im in the right school

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • yes, but my first choice is too far away

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • yes, except for the teacher/i prefer someone else

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • yes, except for the money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, the system itself is completely unimportant to me

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
T

theneuhauser

how many of you are studying your number one choice for a martial art style?
meaning if every possible artform was offered near you, would you still be practicing what you do now?
or does a better instructor happen to be teaching in a less desirable system, so you go with that?
or do cost limitations keep you from pursuing what you would like?
or is the type of school not important to you.

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Currently I studay TKD. There are many other styles that I would love to train in. This school happens to be the only one within 20 minutes with highly qualified instruction. I dont stay fo the style, but because of my confidence im my instructor. He is very knowlegeable and has amazing technical skills. My personal growth under him has been signifigant over the past year. Sometimes the person who teaches you is more important than the style itself. Especially if your training in a more tradional setting.

OP
K

kenposcum

The quality of my instructor is why I started...
The quality of the art is why I stayed.
:asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

I feel 100% confident in Kali at the moment, but when I feel I am ready or when my teacher tells me to move on I wish to start Wing Chun and BJJ.

OP
R

Richard S.

Hapkido was my first love, but apparently im not supposed to study it (for various reasons) now its Wing Chun and im feeling right at home with it. .......respects.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am completely happy in my system. I searched out my school because I had studied kung fu before. There happened to be only one kung fu school in my area, but it just so happens I would train anywhere or with anyone else! Don't get me wrong I started because it was the only one, but also because of the instructor, it wasn't until I had been there quite a while that I realized that I wouldn't train with anyone else. I'm 100% happy!

7sm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because I have traveled greatly in the last 30 years I have studied many styles (what ever was available in the area )
but I have retained my "core" system and now teach /study it.
There have been many school that I did not study in because of the instructor( his knowledge-or lack there of-,his attitude,etc.)
If i didnt like or feel the instructor could advance my knowledge i didnt study.
The results, well I have some standing in the system I teach and I hold teaching credentials in several others. Most training is beneficial if the instructor is any good.
As to the original question would I change schools NO would I study another system YES I study 3 at the moment

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
warder wrote:

"Currently I studay TKD. There are many other styles that I would love to train in. This school happens to be the only one within 20 minutes with highly qualified instruction. I dont stay fo the style, but because of my confidence im my instructor. He is very knowlegeable and has amazing technical skills. My personal growth under him has been signifigant over the past year. Sometimes the person who teaches you is more important than the style itself. Especially if your training in a more tradional setting."

I agree with Warder. I go to the same school as him. I gripe that our school is expensive (Warder heard me gripe also LOL), but the instruction is worth it. It took me a while to realize that, but our master instructor is the s**t! He is awsome. Oh, Fred. Brian enjoyed working Chin Na with you the other day. You helped him a lot :)

Anyways, if there was a Hapkido school here, I would join. But I wouldn't stop TKD. I would use Hapkido to cross train and make my TKD better.

OP
A

Angus

My school isn't right for me, and I'm pretty sure of it. However, I've been there long enough that I'll finish it through to black belt and pursue other options. However, I know I don't want to pursue most of the arts we do and I'd like to do a more traditional system.

OP
T

theneuhauser

that's honest.

i personally threw this thread out because i was curious how many other folks, like myself are finding it hard to do what they really want to be doing for whatever reason. it seems like alot have found their niche, though. that's a good thing. im also fairly confident that a sizable fraction of the community doesnt really know what the heck they want, imo. im guessing that the instructor him/herself is really the factor that has the greatest real bearing over everything else.

OP
S

Shinzu

coming from a school that i thought was right for me but wasn't and moving to the one i am at now... i am positive i am in the right spot for my training.

OP
A

Angus

Neuhauser, that would be exactly correct. A lot of it likely has to do with either the instructor or how the instructor presents the arts. The attitude of the instructor is the current problem for me, but I also know that we don't do enough of what I'd like to be learning and too much of stuff I don't. I'm learning, though, which is what's important. If I wasn't, I'd be gone REALLY fast.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know.

Every art availble? Sounds like a kids dream come true....

I really don't know. I love what I do know and the style. Most of the things I don't like esteem from personal differances, and not the art it self. But even if I had the person I wanted, I think at some point that would be an issue too.

/Yari

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yari

I don't know.

Every art availble? Sounds like a kids dream come true....

I really don't know. I love what I do know and the style. Most of the things I don't like esteem from personal differances, and not the art it self. But even if I had the person I wanted, I think at some point that would be an issue too.

/Yari

Sounds like your determined to not be happy with your instructor? There has to be the right instructor out there for everyone right?

7sm

OP
M

Master of Blades

The one thing I want everyone to remember is to not let anyones opinion or skill make you change your mind. I recently made a new freind who I later on found out TKD. He was happy with his system and style and everything. One day we sparred and he realised that he was useless on the ground. It changed his mind completly and now hes thinking of stopping TKD completly. I persuaded him to stay on at least until black but I dunno. So dont let anyone change your mind!

:rofl: :shrug: :asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Master of Blades

I feel 100% confident in Kali at the moment, but when I feel I am ready or when my teacher tells me to move on I wish to start Wing Chun and BJJ.
It looks like that guy also teaches a Korean art by the Taeguk

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Master of Blades

The one thing I want everyone to remember is to not let anyones opinion or skill make you change your mind. I recently made a new freind who I later on found out TKD. He was happy with his system and style and everything. One day we sparred and he realised that he was useless on the ground. It changed his mind completly and now hes thinking of stopping TKD completly. I persuaded him to stay on at least until black but I dunno. So dont let anyone change your mind!

It's his instruction.

He's not used to hitting people on the ground, or being on the ground for that matter.

If he NEEDS to change schools, tell him it's his way of training, not the art. It goes with every art. I'm 100% he has learned some rolling, some locks, and some attacks to do in self-defense situations. Every time I saw someone go to the ground, they don't go down with them to grapple but keep on kicking them. He needs to think further.

The complicated thing in martial arts is that sometimes, you know right away it's not for you. MOST of the time, you think it's not for you until many years later. You may not think one art is for you... That is until you blossom. Some click naturally with other arts, but they may have potential to also blossom in another art. Maximize strength, work on weaknesses

OP
T

TkdWarrior

well i wanted to learn Kungfu(that time dunno which one:D rite now if u ask then i would hav prefered taiji or pakua ) or Kalaripayattu...
no teachers in my area..so i went to meet my current TKD teacher...then i realise style is not big deal for me...i m very happy with my teacher...
and yea my art TKD enables me with the view to fight other arts, i hav found almost every counter to different styles...
:D
-TkdWarrior-

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by MartialArtist

It looks like that guy also teaches a Korean art by the Taeguk

I dont understand what you mean with that??? But in reply to your other post, I did manage to change his mind, but I think its more his competetive streak then anything. Still he does want to start Jui-Jitsui with me. He's given up on Wing Chun.