What really is, "Evil"?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Evil is a device by which a society attempts to limit or remove a behavior which it has identified as a threat to the society and/or its members. It differs from law in that the motivation to accept the limit comes from within the individual who has a natural desire to be "good", rather than external, where breaking the law can lead to censure, financial penalties, or jail.

Update: Of the two, I would say that the concept of good/evil is much more effective than that of law/justice. Law is effective as far as there is someone around to see you. Morality means the officer is always right there with you.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
But there I have a problem.

Some people believe suffering to be neccessary in order to be closer too God. Much of Christian belief is based around suffering and the "passion" of Jesus.

So would this imply that the Christian God is evil as he sent his son to suffer for humanity's sins? And all those followers that believed to be closer to Jesus they, and everyone else, also had to suffer?

Doesn't the Bible make a big deal of the fact that this was a sacrifice? Sending Jesus (a part of himself) because he wanted to alleviate human suffering.

While I hold strong to willingly causing suffering being the definition of evil, to willingly suffer so others don't have is the polar opposite.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"If somebody has no concept of what they are doing being evil, is it still an evil act."

I found this question in a discussion on MAP, and it got me thinking.

What really is Evil?

Take for example the Mayan priest, killing sacrifices as part of their religion, or the ancient Spartan practices of removing the imperfect from their society. Today, we consider both to be evil acts, but at the time, neither society saw anything wrong. Animal sacrifice was a big part of the Christian bible's old testament, and a part of the Hebrew faith. But, set up an altar and kill a goat today, and the SPCA will show up with the sheriff.

So, what makes something truly, "evil".
Any thought or action that harms the family or does the family no bennefit.
Sean

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, moral relativism, eh?

If we corrupt society to the point where everybody accepts murder, rape, child molestation as acceptable, then it is no longer evil?

Nor do I equate causing suffering to be in and of itself "evil."

I suffer through intense workouts all the time and they make me stronger, and that is GOOD.

Acting contrary to the Creator's plan is evil. Treating other people in ways we wouldn't want to be treated is evil. From those two you can extrapolate quite a bit.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Acting contrary to the Creator's plan is evil. Treating other people in ways we wouldn't want to be treated is evil. From those two you can extrapolate quite a bit.
Isn't that what Christ kind of sumarized the law as? Love God and love your neighbor? paraphrasing here of course LOL

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Acting contrary to the Creator's plan is evil.

Two problems:

People can't agree on what the creators plan is / was. That sacrificing priest believed he was acting according to the wishes of his Gods.

Them silly atheists still have morals, without gods ;)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is evil? I'll make it easy for you with the short answer. I am. The thing that goes bump in the night? C'est moi. Stealer of dreams? Me. Bringer of unjust dooms? Yep, you guessed it. Also me.

But I also often bring beer or a nice cabernet. So I guess that means I'm not ALL bad.

Be good (or bad, if you prefer),

Dave

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to think of evil, along with good, as a universal concept. It is found in all cultures. It seems that what defines the concept varies with cultural values but I think there are two things that are constant through these definitions.

The first is summed up nicely by Lao Tzu, "Without ugliness there is no beauty." Following this line, evil is necessary for us to known what good is. It is about relationships. Once one can define good then one can define evil, and vice versa.

The second is a little more difficult to grapple with. In an earlier post someone said, "Evil is the willingness to cause suffering." I think I would redefine this slightly to say Evil is the desire to cause suffering. It is in desire that base nature usually rears its ugly head.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If moral relativism means moral corruption, then most of y'all are morally corrupt for not wearing headscarf. ;)

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So would this imply that the Christian God is evil as he sent his son to suffer for humanity's sins? And all those followers that believed to be closer to Jesus they, and everyone else, also had to suffer?

As I understand it, Christ was presented with many choices. By the Devil and by his father. Satan offered him all earthly power if he but chose to worship him. God gave him the choice to be the sacrifice and suffer so as to save humanity. God didnt force it or enjoy it.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

"I am the good shepherd:the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."

And if you subscribe to the Catholc concept of the holy trinity. Christ IS god, so those quotes above take on a signifigant meaning.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the least of my worries. Having been raised Catholic and not having been to church for decades I am deep in the Sin Pit.

Misereatur nostri omnipotens Deus [SIZE=-1]et dimissis peccatis nostris, en nomini Patri, et Fillii, et Spiritu Sanctu Amen.[/SIZE]

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the novel The Mammoth Hunters, by Jean M. Auel, the characters have a discussion about what constitutes evil. One quote has always stuck with me from that discussion: "Evil is malicious harm." (pg 503). Now, "malicious", like many other descriptive terms, is open to discussion - but I interpret it as intentionally hurtful (emotionally, physically, etc.) to the person(s) the action is aimed at.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you. I feel much better now.

...and save me a seat if you get to the Sin Pit before I do. I have the feeling we'll have plenty of company. ;)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the novel The Mammoth Hunters, by Jean M. Auel, the characters have a discussion about what constitutes evil. One quote has always stuck with me from that discussion: "Evil is malicious harm." (pg 503). Now, "malicious", like many other descriptive terms, is open to discussion - but I interpret it as intentionally hurtful (emotionally, physically, etc.) to the person(s) the action is aimed at.

This is interesting. Malice comes from the Latin word malitia which means badness or spite. So another way of saying "Evil is malicious harm." would be Evil is spiteful harm. And spite is an ill-natured desire to humiliate or injure. I think that evil comes down to this. It may be conscious or not, but there is a desire to do someone else wrong.

Jean M. Auel has made a succinct statement there which surprises me. I'm not a fan. Ever since the sling and the two rocks incident in Clan of the Cave Bear (it was just foolish).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is interesting. Malice comes from the Latin word malitia which means badness or spite. So another way of saying "Evil is malicious harm." would be Evil is spiteful harm. And spite is an ill-natured desire to humiliate or injure. I think that evil comes down to this. It may be conscious or not, but there is a desire to do someone else wrong.

Jean M. Auel has made a succinct statement there which surprises me. I'm not a fan. Ever since the sling and the two rocks incident in Clan of the Cave Bear (it was just foolish).
She lost me at "Plains of Passage" I have the next book but I just can't pick it up. I disagree, however; Their need be no malicious intent for and action to be evil.
Sean

Latest Discussions