What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today I am reading the thrilling:

Advanced Tap Changer Control to Counteract Power System Voltage Instability

It's a real page turner, especially the historical twist about the Swedish grids voltage collapse in the early 2000's due, in part, to improperly deadbanded AVC systems tapping like mad to compensate for falling voltages and thus making the situation worse :D.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living With Bipolar Disorder. Engaging. Timely. But not light reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Separation of College and State: Columbia, Dartmouth, Harvard, and Yale, 1776-1876, J S. Whitehead

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Stopped at the library today and checked out Guns, Germs, and Steel. Looks to be a very interesting read.

I think I started that book about three times, I really wanted to get sucked into it but I never made it past the fifth chapter or so, and I almost never stop reading a book in the middle. Still in my stack of books to read somewhere.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Malcolm Gladwall's "Outliers" which is excellent. I don't agree with some of his points and I would love to do more research on some of the topics, but very interesting, made me order "Blink" to put in my reading stack.

"Becoming a Supple Leopard" by Kelly Starret, really excellent tips on exercise fundamentals and some of the aspects of proper form for exercise. Really really useful for anyone involved in regular exercise, particularly those involved in lifting. I've been running many of his tips past my mom who is a highly regarded PT, and she agrees with almost everything he suggests.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray Mears - My Outdoor Life. Fascinating read. For those not in the know, he is like the Brit version of Bushtucker Man Les Hiddins. What was quite surprising is that Mears studied Judo. apparently Mears techer studied under Gunji Koizumi, known as GK, who had in turn studied under Jigoro kano - Kodokan Judo. Interesting, but sometimes a sad read.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
reading 2 at the moment:

An Open Mind by The Dala Lama edited by Nicholas Vreelan...........................This is collection of the Dala Lama's sayings thoughts and his talk at Central Park in August of 1999

the second is "The Essance of Aikido" the spiritual teaching of Morihei Ueshiba complied by John Stevens....................I include this in the non fiction because it has sayings, poems,etc. by Ueshiba

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tank War - Mark Urban. Mainly centered around the 5th RTR, 7th Amoured. Good read, but still no closer to knowing who actually killed Wittmann. Not that I expected anything different.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished God is not Great by Cristopher Hitchens. Harsh but brilliant, too bad The Hitch is not with us anymore.

Some fiction next, going to give JRR Martin a try.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The King James Bible by King James's translators although the original version is by God.

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
657804595edf7150b5cc79870bd7a793.jpg

Latest Discussions