What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you read the Blind Watchmaker? Interesting read, also by Richard Dawkins. Read it many years ago, when I was being brainwashed by liberals... err... I mean going to college. ;)

No, but it's on my to-read list.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you read the Blind Watchmaker?

I've only ever read The Selfish Gene and its sequel, The Extended Phenotype. I loved the former but the latter kind of dragged. I don't think I've ever read an explicitly pro-atheism book--I didn't need more convincing.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Measure of the Earth: The Enlightenment Expedition That Reshaped Our World, by Larrie D. Ferreiro

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Anthropology of Numbers, T.S. Crump

Mathematics and Common Sense: A Creative Tension, P.J. Davis

(Lots of free time on my hands as we just wait around to move. Getting lots of reading done. My daughter lifted Crump, though, so I may not get to finish it until she's done with it.)

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality. Surprisingly, it is not as salacious as the title implies.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple links to studies regarding this history of monogamy in humans showed up in my feeds the last couple days. Here is one: http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2013/07/monogamy-may-have-evolved-prevent-infanticide

Briefly, so as not to divert the thread, this is a long standing theory. The book makes a strong case that in hunter-gatherer cultures and several others, the most protective environment is one where paternity is uncertain or even believed to be a contribution of multiple males. Males in these societies assume a collective parental role for all children with maximal protection and nurturing of all the women and children.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Shareholder Value Myth: How Putting Shareholders First Harms Investors, Corporations and the Public- Lynn Stout. Should be required reading in all business management classes.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I started reading Daniel C. Dennett's Breaking the Spell and he has referenced Guns, Germs, and Steel a few times. I think that may be next on my reading list.

Stopped at the library today and checked out Guns, Germs, and Steel. Looks to be a very interesting read.

Latest Discussions