what makes it kenpo?

OP
B

Billy Lear

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Billy Lear,
fist law sounds like a martial art to me. If it isnt, what about fist law that is destinctive from the word martial art?

Touch'O'Death,

Fist Law sounds like a martial art? I agree it does sound like a martial art but the definitions of these words are not interchangable.

Martial Art = War Art.

To quote Mr. Pick (because I think his definition of this term is the best I've seen):

Martial means war and war means kill. Art is an expression. Martial Art is an expression of war.

Now here is my understanding of the word Kenpo:

Kenpo = Fist Law.

Ken means fist, which is a hand clenched with the fingers doubled into the palm and the thumb doubled inward across the fingers. A clenched fist can often be associated with fighting, but not necessarily the act of killing. Law is a rule of conduct or action prescribed or formally recognized as binding or enforced by a controlling authority.

I would venture to say that Kenpo (in it's purest form) is a persons unmitigated control over his/her fists.

If you delve into the rabbit hole a little deeper the fist takes on it's own meaning in our salute. Within this context it represents the physicality of the practitioner. Therefore, a master of Kenpo is considered a master of his/her physical self.

The words have different implications and therefore they have different meanings. I'm sorry, but I disagree with you about this too.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear, UKS :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My criticism was directed at Touch'O - not you. You were responding to his/her post.

Although I do personally take offense to the remark:

Posted by Touch'O'Death

Whoa!, come down off the Empire State building there King Kong.

It was not your reply that I was responding to.

If you look at my history of responses and interactions on this board and any other, you will see I try to be a moderating influence ... not to be confused with a Moderator, (I want to express my personal opinion and learn through dialogue, which is difficult if you are also in an "authority" position.)

I was terse and somewhat irritated by Touch'O'Death's statement only in that he/she seems to be consistently critical of certain aspects of Kenpo. It is the history more than the specificity of the statement that set my tone. I guess when he brought it home by using the President of my Association I reacted in haste:

Posted by Touch'O'Death

All of the Sepulvida people block at a different angle than the way I have been taught ...

Your quote is very specific, however, In re-reading it I see you did not say that "your way" was the "correct" way, nor did you say it was the "standard", "norm", or "Ideal" for Kenpo practitioners. I am 100% certain of John Sepulveda's teaching methods, his knowledge of Methods of Execution, Paths of Motion, Angles of Degree and various Natural Weapons used in blocking. That is not to say he does not modify them appropriately at times.

I apologize for getting so wrapped up in the criticism that I lost the actual thread topic in my response. Of course it is all Kenpo, and the Infinite Insights gives us the Ideal Phase, from which we develop our baseline for Basics.

Left over Right

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I'm reading this post correctly I assume you are asking how much can you distill EPAK to get to the core of what it (Kenpo) is.

Get rid of everything and by starting with a clean slate determine what elements make Kenpo what it is. Well.....

Kenpo is the study of motion and therefore there should some movements that everything within the system is extrapolated from.

Wouldn't these be the master key movements?

So any system that teaches the master key movements and how to effectively employ them could be Kenpo.

Or....are the MKM much older than any definition of a system and Mr. Parker based a system on acheiving a intuitive understanding of them in a way that was much more logical and structured than any system of the day?

It would have been a easier question to answer if you had asked what makes EPAK EPAK.

Rob

OP
T

twinkletoes

Robbo,

Sorry, I don't mean anything that specific (EPAK). I mean Kenpo. That's what makes it harder.

BUT I do like what you've said here:

are the MKM much older than any definition of a system and Mr. Parker based a system on acheiving a intuitive understanding of them in a way that was much more logical and structured than any system of the day?

That sounds like a good avenue for this discussion to explore...

Best,

~TT

OP
B

Billy Lear

Originally posted by Michael Billings
Although I do personally take offense to the remark:

Whoa!, come down off the Empire State building there King Kong.

It seems to me that Touch 'O' Death thinks he's in possession of all the answers. His lack of character in his responses also dictates that he isn't here to share his opinions, or expereinces, but to impose them.

Mr. Billings, you're a good man. Don't let this guy take up too much space in your head. :asian:

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
M,

I'm sorry for you having to read some of the garbage found on this string. Not withstanding a few others who have taken childish hits, I really wish all internet posts had to be followed by a face to face.

Anyways, keeping good thoughts when you come to mind.

Your friend,
W

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Billy Lear
So if I use your method of reasoning here I wonder... does that make me a bad Kenpoist? :confused:

PROBABLY, Sorry I challanged your little world, but beside defending my self against Kenpo Dragon and those that hevent actualy read what I wrote. What have I stated as fact that so upset you?

OP
K

KenpoDragon

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
PROBABLY, Sorry I challanged your little world, but beside defending my self against Kenpo Dragon and those that hevent actualy read what I wrote. What have I stated as fact that so upset you?
Out of respect for one of my Seniors (Clyde) I will keep my words as clean as possible. If you look at your posts you will see that you, not me, were the first to shoot. What was it you said, "I can just see KenpoDragon grabbing his Encyclopedia now" or something to that effect. You were not defending yourself from me, you struck first, I reacted and counter striked. So with all due respect, don't pretend that your innocent here Touch"o"Death, because you are not.

:shrug:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by KenpoDragon
Out of respect for one of my Seniors (Clyde) I will keep my words as clean as possible. If you look at your posts you will see that you, not me, were the first to shoot. What was it you said, "I can just see KenpoDragon grabbing his Encyclopedia now" or something to that effect. You were not defending yourself from me, you struck first, I reacted and counter striked. So with all due respect, don't pretend that your innocent here Touch"o"Death, because you are not.

:shrug:

Hey Dragon, disregard any previous remarks from myself, I have now abdicated my nice thoughts.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

KenpoDragon

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Hey Dragon, disregard any previous remarks from myself, I have now abdicated my nice thoughts.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
Is that a "Fire at Will" command I hear? Or did I miss interpret your words Clyde?

:asian: KenpoDragon

OP
T

twinkletoes

Um, hi guys. Not to sound bored, but are you guys actually arguing over who is arguing with who, and who started arguing first? Yikes.

So let' say that it's true: two kenpoka do your inward blocks differently. Certainly you both do Kenpo--that much seems clear. What else could you do differently and still have it be kenpo? Forms.........techniques........stances.........sparring....what else?

~TT

OP
L

lonekimono

I don't understand this i left one post where people were not so nice,now i stop here and i see people doing handsword's to each other.
will it ever end?:confused:

OP
L

lonekimono

Now about what makes it kenpo

look at it this way K E N P O
now tell yourself what is in between the k and the E take a good look at it and you will see that it is SPACE and it's all the way to the o. that called "doing it by the number's".
now take the word KENPO and write it not print it,what have you got? no spaces, that shows how we keep the teq, moving and with the flow, ie five swords when you do it by the numbers it looks like a robot, but when you let it go look out.
that what makes it kenpo:asian: :asian:
strike like the paw of the tiger, block with the wisdom of the dragon. G. Elmer (ackks)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I'll try again. When is my motion not kenpo? Krav Maga is Kenpo as far as I'm concerned. If you don't believe that, what about it or any other system makes it not Kenpo? And KD I'll even let you consult your book on this one.

OP
L

lonekimono

:confused: :confused: :confused: what can i say,at lease no one was yelling at each other:D and oh the dog pic's, na i won't go there.

OP
L

lonekimono

HEY SEAN i see that you like music, well kenpo is music and back in the late 70's the blackbirds had a BIG hit that was kenpo also.
do you know what it was? and can you name that tune???:D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by lonekimono
HEY SEAN i see that you like music, well kenpo is music and back in the late 70's the blackbirds had a BIG hit that was kenpo also.
do you know what it was? and can you name that tune???:D
No, Maybe if you hum a few bars...

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by KenpoDragon
Is that a "Fire at Will" command I hear? Or did I miss interpret your words Clyde?

:asian: KenpoDragon

Fire for effect Captain, one over the bow. Yea, you read me right. I called last night but no answer on the # you gave, try again today.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Latest Discussions