Labeling the inward and outward parries

• Thread starter matthewgreenland
  • Start date
M

matthewgreenland

Question: (I realize that I haven't been on in a while)

From the Encyclopedia of Kenpo -

Inward Parry - blocking arm travels from outside to inside.

Outward Parry - blocking arm travels from inside to outside.

From a horse, they both reach the tip of the Triangle. The inward travels across the body, and the outward travels back to the same side that it started from. How then does the inward travel from outside in and the outward parry from inside out?

I am not seeing it. Someone help me to see why they are labeled as such.

Thank you friends

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by matthewgreenland
Question: (I realize that I haven't been on in a while)

From the Encyclopedia of Kenpo -

Inward Parry - blocking arm travels from outside to inside.

Outward Parry - blocking arm travels from inside to outside.

From a horse, they both reach the tip of the Triangle. The inward travels across the body, and the outward travels back to the same side that it started from. How then does the inward travel from outside in and the outward parry from inside out?

I am not seeing it. Someone help me to see why they are labeled as such.

Thank you friends

Matthew,
This would depend on which stance you were in. If for instance, you were in a right neutral bow, that being right foot forward, an inward parry would start with the right hand traveling to the tip of the triangle, catching the strike and parrying it inside toward your left or inside your right neutral bow. An outward parry would start with your let hand, traveling to the tip of the triangle, catching the strike, and parrying it toward your right or outside your right neutral bow. If I understand your question, then that is the answer.

Gary Catherman

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Or, if it moves toward the center line, as it is in the act of blocking, it is an inward block. If it moves away from the center line, as it is in the act of blocking, it is an outward block.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Point of Reference (a Concept) is your centerline when naming Direction. Then add method of execution, and specific weapon, (block, parry, etc.) and you have our naming convention as supplied by Mr. Parker. Your centerline remains the same as your width zones change, as Sigung86 clearly states. So in a training horse we train the full range of motion in the ideal phase of the basic, while in a neutral bow, the reality of the parry's travel is about 6" to 12" maximum through the width diminsion. It is even less if you use the 10 cent fan analagy and move your head also.

Just for fun, who knows why it is an "Inside" Parry when talking downward parries?

OK, OK, no fair helping from those of you who are above Black in Ed Parker's Kenpo.

Oss!

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
strikes you pull are owtward. strikes you push are inward.

But to pary mustn't you go in the same direction as their force? If you are pushing you are going in the opposite direction, right?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you look parry up in the dictionary its sais nothinh about riding the attack. It simply states to ward off. To reach the apex of the circle(to meet the missle attack) you must either thrust or hammer grafted into a thrust, or you must pull or whip to greet the attack. the dynamic of the missle attack will allow you to ride the weopon back with either palm forward or away from said attack. That is outward and inward parrying. The parry happens at the warding off. Am I just babbling?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... You guys have taken the definitions of inward vs. outward to new heights. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least Conatser didn't chime in on me with an Ed Parker impression! BTW... Seriously, if you ever get a chance to meet him face to face, ask him, nicely, to give you an Ed Parker impression. He's truly excellent.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Sigung86
Hmmmm.... You guys have taken the definitions of inward vs. outward to new heights. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least Conatser didn't chime in on me with an Ed Parker impression! BTW... Seriously, if you ever get a chance to meet him face to face, ask him, nicely, to give you an Ed Parker impression. He's truly excellent.

Just ask him about Ed Parker, and he can't help but do an
impression of him. :)

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
If you look parry up in the dictionary its sais nothinh about riding the attack. It simply states to ward off. To reach the apex of the circle(to meet the missle attack) you must either thrust or hammer grafted into a thrust, or you must pull or whip to greet the attack. the dynamic of the missle attack will allow you to ride the weopon back with either palm forward or away from said attack. That is outward and inward parrying. The parry happens at the warding off. Am I just babbling?

Well the infinite insights definiting of a "parrying block" is "a block that travels from the inside out as it reirects and rides the force of your opponet's strike. So that was the definition I was using.

Sorry I've read your post a dozen times and I'm still not following you, could you clarify what you are saying?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm probably trying to say to much with to little wording. If you find yourself riding the attack with your palm you have probably executed an inward parry if you are riding the return motion with the back of your hand you have probably executed an outward parry. The websters dictionary does not describe the dynamics of the return motion. This means that according to webster's the whole redirection thing is just a biproduct of the original meeting of two objects in motion. Ed parker's defenition is definatly more detailed. If you were to execute a block and road the return motion for only a fraction of a second is it still a parry? If you are still confused about the inward outward thing, I guess it would be that moves that arent thrusting or thrusting in reverse are outward. Ie moves from across your body. That is... if the point of origin for you right hand is at your left hip or shoulder, the move you execute from this point is outward. And, if you point of origin of your right hand is on your right shoulder or hip that is inward. generaly.

Latest Discussions