What kinds of KMA practitioners do we have here these days?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since I've been gone a while, and just to inject some new discussions into a stagnant forum.. .

What kinds of Korean martial arts do you all practice. If it is some version of TKD, what "style/association" do you belong to?

I'm curious if there are any practitioners of the "older" stylings of TKD that are not affiliated with KKW or ITF.

For those of you who do not know me on here, I practice Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo (i.e. my KJN was part of the MDK prior to the unification, went with the unification, left Korea in the late 60's, opened up shop in the U.S. and still teaches the same curriculum that has since that time). We practice the old form sets (Gicho hyungs, Pyung Ahn hyungs, Bassai, Naihanchi, Chinto, Kong Sang Kun, etc.)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I guess we let the CMA guy start off.

I use to be a KMA guy, many years ago, but I have no idea what version, it was pre-Olympic and with Jae Hun Kim in Boston.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I've been gone a while, and just to inject some new discussions into a stagnant forum.. .

What kinds of Korean martial arts do you all practice. If it is some version of TKD, what "style/association" do you belong to?

I'm curious if there are any practitioners of the "older" stylings of TKD that are not affiliated with KKW or ITF.

For those of you who do not know me on here, I practice Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo (i.e. my KJN was part of the MDK prior to the unification, went with the unification, left Korea in the late 60's, opened up shop in the U.S. and still teaches the same curriculum that has since that time). We practice the old form sets (Gicho hyungs, Pyung Ahn hyungs, Bassai, Naihanchi, Chinto, Kong Sang Kun, etc.)

So it's called Tae Kwon Do but you teach the Tang Soo Do curriculum? Is that because TKD has more name recognition, or to avoid conflicts (and if history is any indication, law suites...) from the MDK Soo Bahk Do people? The Palgwae forms were introduced in (if memory serves...) 1965, so as part of the unified system, your KJN would probably have learned them prior to emigrating.

Our KJN was a direct student of GM HWANG, Kee prior to the unification, stayed with the unification as a direct student of GM LEE, Kang-Ik, and came to the USA in 1969.
We teach MDK TKD using the Kicho, and Palgwae poomsae. We use the KKW yudanja poomsae (Koryo, Keumgang, Taebaek, Pyongwon, etc). For students who want to obtain KKW Dan rank I teach the Taegeuk poomsae as well. Coming from an (ancient) ITF background, I also practice the Chang Hon forms (without sine wave), although they are not taught as part of our curriculum.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree, it is somewhat of a unique position. Although my KJN doesn't talk much of his life prior to immigrating, here is what I do know. The year that Kwans began to unify under the name Tae Kwon Do, my KJN became the TKD instructor with the Korean Army‘s 9th Division. He continued to serve as the first instructor until 1957. He then became the instructor for the Police Cadet School in Korea from 1957 to 1961. From 1961 to 1969, he was an instructor for the United States 8th Army stationed in Korea.

It could be that during his positions with the ROK army, national police academy, and the U.S. army that he did not learn or train the new form sets? I know that he sided with the KTA during the unification process.

If memory serves me, I believe the newer forms were not implemented until 1967-ish, which still leaves 2 years before my KJN immigrated to the U.S.

I won't speculate as to why he chose not to adopt the new forms, but we have always practiced the older shotokan/shudokan form sets.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am 4th dan under kkw taekwondo. My master was part of the OhDoKwan but I believe they have always been very closely knit with kukkiwon.

The revamp of kukki taekwondo standards and techniques over the recent years has been an interesting change. I personally enjoy having the clearly standardized techniques and forms.
It serves it's purpose as just that, a standard, in the sporting world. Poomsae competition has had its resurgence with a clear, transparent, standardized path to victory. So for those who enjoy that it's pretty neat.

But also it serves as a cool talking point, common denominator for masters from all areas. We all are familiar with eachothers techniques/curriculum due to the standards, and can have and talk about our own reasons for any deviations we have to those standardized techniques.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too have been away from MT for awhile. I practice KKW Taekwondo but started many years ago in the pre-sine wave ITF. Three years ago I started Hapkido which has been a lot of fun.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am 4th dan under kkw taekwondo. My master was part of the OhDoKwan but I believe they have always been very closely knit with kukkiwon.

That's unusual, given that the Oh Do Kwan, founded by Gen CHOI, Hong Hi, was the birthplace of the ITF.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's unusual, given that the Oh Do Kwan, founded by Gen CHOI, Hong Hi, was the birthplace of the ITF.

That's just what I was told by him. After looking into it, they were founded by Gen Choi, but claims to have aligned with kukkiwon in 1972. And kukkiwon was made official in 73 I think.

It'd be cool if someone posted a timeline or something.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That's what I started with back in the 80's. Now CMA though

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I started in TKD when I was younger and then transitioned into Hwa Rang Do. Been doing that for 15 years now.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How similar is the training/techniques in your current Hwa Rang Do school compared to your previous TKD school?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd Dan in Tae Kwon Do (WTF)

It may be seen as splitting hairs, but no, you're not. There's no such thing. The WTF is an organization that sets the rules for and oversees competition in the Olympic sport of TKD. That is all. There is no such thing as WTF rank, since the WTF does not define a curriculum nor award rank.

Your rank is from the Kukkiwon, not the WTF. Go look.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How similar is the training/techniques in your current Hwa Rang Do school compared to your previous TKD school?

It is different. The kick boxing is basically the same, but there are more hand strikes and there are throws and takedowns. The sparring program is also full round fighting after you get through the introductory program with ground submissions. They also train in weapons and have their own meditation practices.

Here is a video of the sparring if your curious:

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It may be seen as splitting hairs, but no, you're not. There's no such thing. The WTF is an organization that sets the rules for and oversees competition in the Olympic sport of TKD. That is all. There is no such thing as WTF rank, since the WTF does not define a curriculum nor award rank.

Your rank is from the Kukkiwon, not the WTF. Go look.

I would say your splitting hairs since the two work together, but you make a valid and correct point. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is different. The kick boxing is basically the same, but there are more hand strikes and there are throws and takedowns. The sparring program is also full round fighting after you get through the introductory program with ground submissions. They also train in weapons and have their own meditation practices.

Here is a video of the sparring if your curious:
Interesting. What's the scoring like?

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. What's the scoring like?

Competitors are judged in 3 categories:
*Striking control: includes how clean your strikes are, are you using effective combo, and how much control do you have in the fight.
*Throws and takedowns: self-explanatory, both offensive and defensive.
*Fighting Spirit: Are you just letting the opponent attack you, are you going after your opportunities when you see them, are you Ki-Hap-ing loudly as you attack, ect.

It is basically semi-full contact where points are rewarded depending on how you do. Rounds last 5 minutes and if you get a submission (doesn't have to be on the ground), the match is over.

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was tested under KKW standards and they certified my Dan ranking, however as I also trained directly with my grandfather (Kyongwon Ahn) one on one in and outside of the dojang I've been exposed to a number of "non-curiculum" techniques. I was also encouraged and allowed to cross train particularly in Hapkido, Judo, BJJ and even Boxing and Wrestling.

I'm currently learning more about the roots of the arts, and the knowledge you guys possess is really amazing. Much respect fellows.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Drew Ahn-Kim. I have met your grandfather many times, and I hold the upmost respect for him. My KJN and GM AHN were childhood friends. In fact he was on the examiners table at many of my early tests in the 1980's and early 1990's. If you don't mind me asking where do you currently live and train?

Latest Discussions