What kind of knife is best for knife fighting?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pigsticker. At least I know it will kill something.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fir the trained: TECHNICALLY a razor sharp edge of 1/2"-1" is all you NEED.
Maybe yes, maybe no. With light (or no) clothing and lots of exposed skin, then it helps a lot. If the physical environment dictates heavy, thick clothing, then a very small slashing area may not penetrate.

2 fast slashes to 2 major arteries will end your opponents life VERY VERY VERY quickly, because an adrenaline fueled heart beat wil pump the body "dry" in about a minute ir less (the more arterial strikes the faster the end).
That is true. It is also true that stab wounds cause the same effect by damaging internal organs and veins/arteries, causing internal bleeding. A few years back a U.S. Army study found that penetrating stab wounds were more reliably deadly and disabling than slashes. Hoch references this study in his book. I believe that this is because major bleeder arteries near enough the surface to cause the desired effect are harder to target accurately whereas internal organs tend to be large and easy to damage with a thrust. Lungs, kidneys, liver, etc. are pretty big and easy to hit with a thrust when compared to the axillary artery in the armpit.

So, while I agree, it is tempered by context. Not all contexts are the same.

Also, the bigger/heavier the knife, the slower you can move it. Although it is almost imperceptible, it is fact.
For one person in comparison with himself, yes. A strong person with lots of fast-twitch muscle can move a heavier knife as fast or faster than a less strong person with less fast-twitch muscle. You can't look at someone with a 14" Bowie and think, "he'll be slow." He might or he might not. No way to tell until you engage.

Serrations are a NO-NO....unless you are planing to saw on your opponent.
Nah. Serrations increase the length of the edge, giving more "cutting length" and often the "points" of the serration protect the valleys from blunting due to impact. That's why serrated knives are popular for commercial "steak knives." Historically speaking, waves and flamberge were desirable but harder to make and more expensive:

tumblr_n90kv7KRJw1tt4w91o1_500.jpg

266a1ed23513b8ce3cd1466fb6ad6d4c.jpg

A double edge allows for follow-up strikes with equal damage.
Depending on how you define "follow-up." It allows for "back-cuts" or what's sometimes called "false-edge" cuts. Most of the time it's no real effort to turn the hand and follow-up with the true edge.

You also want a handle that is still going to provide for a secure/positive forward AND reverse grips for 2 simple reasons: 1) your hand IS going to get wet from blood (definitely) and weather (possibly).
Maybe. More certainly is sweat loss of fine motor skills and hand/finger sensitivity from adrenal dump. So, yes, secure grip = good.

That aside, in some historic contexts it was common for the fighters to wear leather gauntlets which both protected the hand from injury and helped ensure a grip regardless of sweat/blood/whatever.

by lklawson on MartialTalk.Com - Friendly Martial Arts Forum Community

A curved blade does truly provide increased cutting edge (on the convex side), but (although shorter cutting edge) also provides a serious hooking (not "street-walker" guys, lol) capability as well as less of a chance for your opponent to grab your blade to disarm you So....while I will always love/cherrish/rely on my Kbar...my vote for "A" perfect fighting knife would be a properly Karambit.
Or a Jambiya? ;)

ph-0.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that I intend to fight with a knife, its more of an academic question. What kind of knife is best for knife fighting? All opinions appreciated.
Two schools of thought.

1: Large and intimidating. You want to make people 'NOPE' out when they see it.

2:Small, concealable. If it's a folder you need to be able to get the blade out with one hand, quickly. You want the blade on the inside of your opponent before they know you have it.

It is arguable which is better. If I need one it's always 2, but I've fortunately never had to draw one.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best knife is one that:
1 - is legal for concealed carry in your area
2 - can be accessed rapidly; this may mean fixed blade, auto-knife or at least one-hand opening
3 - has a good point. Thrusts are by far more effective than messy slashing
4 - does not need to be large; I've seen more people killed with 3" folders than the scary BFK because people are smooshy and when you stab them, tissues compress resulting in penetration of the blade multiple times the length of the blade.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Given my choice, I would prefer something like a Fairbairn-Sykes style dagger with a double edge. It opens up the most possibilities in regards to technique for both sak sak and pikal grips. This one by RMJ tactical is an incredible option for those looking for such a knife.
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-pktq5.../IMG_6854__15572.1477495481.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

If that is not a legal option where you live, and in many states in the US it isn't, something like a Waid Covert, made by Biegler Bladeworks is a great choice for a number of reasons. It carries well in both blade forward and blade backward positions, and works well in both sak sak and pikal grip. My only real beef with the blade is the lack of jimping.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...reen+handle+output+file+copy.jpg?format=1500w

That being said, until Texas knife laws change, which is thankfully in the works right now, my daily carry is a Spyderco Manix 2 Sprint Run. For me, it's the perfect EDC folder (deep choil, perfect jimping, great blade shape, light weight, very solid lock, etc.).
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/M50AAOSwol5Y4p~x/s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that I intend to fight with a knife, its more of an academic question. What kind of knife is best for knife fighting? All opinions appreciated.

A dagger I would say is one of the best choices.

iain_meyers

White Belt
Reaction score

Not a folding knife. Small and easy to hide. A stabbing knife is probably best for assaulting unsuspecting people, which is what most people carry a knife for.

I guess if you are going to have some kind of bladed weapon fight then bigger is better.

iain_meyers

White Belt
Reaction score

This kind of knife is what most people that carry knives with the intention of hurting people will carry. People that carry knives for fantasy reasons will buy fancy fantasy knives.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contrary to their advertising, the above is a piece of junk with very limited penetration. You'd be better off stabbed by it than a conventional flat dagger.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Contrary to their advertising, the above is a piece of junk with very limited penetration. You'd be better off stabbed by it than a conventional flat dagger.

I agree completely. Please check the quote that I responded to in my post.

While the original link appears to be dead now, this is my preferred option for a knife that is to be used for defensive purposes.

RMJRAIDERnta.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, nothing quite like a good double edge boot knife. In IRT we train with them every day. By the way a lot of cross over in what you do with what I do as I trained with Nene Tortal.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, nothing quite like a good double edge boot knife. In IRT we train with them every day. By the way a lot of cross over in what you do with what I do as I trained with Nene Tortal.

You don't have to sacrifice. We practice blade edge facing in when we are in pikal grip for hooking purposes, and while knives are primarily for thrusting in a defensive situation, I do like to throw the occasional slash in there as well.

As for the rest, I've seen some of Nene's stuff, but very little.

Cheers!

iain_meyers

White Belt
Reaction score
This is the type of knife you should be most scared of, because it is the type being carried by someone violent that intends to use it

52F1AA0ECD3133BC39CF9A8B04DBD1B1.jpg

Edward Cullen

White Belt
Reaction score
The best knife is one that:
1 - is legal for concealed carry in your area
2 - can be accessed rapidly; this may mean fixed blade, auto-knife or at least one-hand opening
3 - has a good point. Thrusts are by far more effective than messy slashing
4 - does not need to be large; I've seen more people killed with 3" folders than the scary BFK because people are smooshy and when you stab them, tissues compress resulting in penetration of the blade multiple times the length of the blade.
ya. I agree with you. This is the best knife.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, I resisted my initial urge to be asinine and replay "a sword" or "a gun" or something else equally wanker-ish.

The truth is "best knife for knife fighting" covers a massive number of unstated and implied prerequisites.

The question has been answered differently numerous times by vastly varying cultures.

The reason is simple yet complex. The heart of the question is really, "what is knife fighting?" There are many constituents to what knife fighting is but some basics include:

• What is the physical build and general physical capabilities of the opponent you will likely face?
  • What kind of armour or protective clothing will your likely opponent be wearing?
  • Are "knife fights" usually to the death or are they more often duels of honor where wounding or "first blood" is sufficient?
  • If "first blood" type duels are common, what kind of wound and location on the body is sufficient (i.e., a scar to the face, a cut to the arm, or any cut anywhere)?
  • Is a knife fight likely to be initiated from surprise or ambush?
  • Are there specific social (or legal) conventions on how a knife may be carried, displayed, or accessed (such as prohibitions against concealing the knife or, alternately, prohibitions against carrying visible knifes).
  • Is your most likely available knife going to be influenced or dictated by cultural conventions such as a knife which is "traditional to that culture (i.e., navaja, skean dhu, kirpan, or kukri)?
  • Are there specific legal restrictions on the type of knife you may use (i.e., single edged only, restrictions on length, no fixed blades, or no locking mechanism on folders)?
Once you answer these and many other, similar, questions you can begin to narrow down the options of which knife is ideal for you and your requirements.

Personally, me, I happen to like Bowie Knives. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Again late to the party...

I would just add two things to all of the above.

1. What is your weather like? Heavy winter clothing can basically be armor when it comes to shorter folders.

2. Once the knife is selected based on that criteria you need to consider how you are going to use it. As an example a short "folder" will not, imo, be all that effective in a fight in terms of stabbing. If you are justified in using lethal force (which a knife is considered) you would, again just my opinion, want a knife better suited to slashing. The shortness of the blade will make it difficult to hit organs and the like so doing some decent slashing may be more effective if you are catching tendons on the hands/arms coming at you, vs trying to get inside their guard and THEN hoping you manage to hit something vital enough to stop them. Heck I know a lot of people who were stabbed with a folder and didn't even notice that BUT they sure noticed the filleting on their forearms/hands.

My choice for self defense though is a fixed blade, double edged, Karambit. It's dang effective for it's size and that size makes it more easily concealable than some of the other good options. Also, if you don't train in knife fighting, the shape of the blade, along with the pikal grip, enable natural punching actions to be fairly effective in terms of using the knife.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Our resident knife guy does a boot knife sort of thing. His version is called a clearing knife.

images