Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
went to a tournament this sunday and seen a sick kujukenbo kata by one of there 4 dergree black belts ' i filmed it on my mini dvd rec. im a see if i could get it transfered and put on youtube soon.

his gi had kajukenbo all over and on one of his patches it kenpo and hawaii under it ?

:mst:

There are a couple of individuals in Southern California that were Kaju powerhouses.

Sifu Tim Bowles (Tony's son)
&
Rodney Alo (Ron's son)

I think Bowles is now with Kosho-Ryu but they both are EXCELLENT technicians, nice folks and just great all around martial artists.

I have never beaten either one of them :)

I am Kara-Ho to answer the original threads question.

Last edited:

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
there are lots of different kinds of kenpo out there... which one is yours?

Hello,
While I have studied Tracy's Kenpo, Kosho-Ryu Kempo and American Kenpo fairly extensively, I consider my "roots" to be in Tracy's Kenpo, as I had my start there. At that time there was not the difference in the Tracy's Kenpo and EPAK that there is these days.

When asked what I "do", my usual answer is "Tracy's Kenpo".

And there are certainly many different (and similar) Kenpo styles out there. Sadly, it can be like religion... Only the practitioners that study "this or that" Kenpo will be able to get into "heaven"... Certainly absurd. The real deciding factor is the individual practitioner, not the Kenpo system studied.

Nice topic. Thank you.
Milt G.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm sad to say that yes, indeed there is a bad kenpo out there. Or two or three.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sad to say that yes, indeed there is a bad kenpo out there. Or two or three.

So much so, that it makes it hard not to assume most people do the really bad Kenpo.

I know that's not true, but when people tell me they do "Kenpo/Kempo" I find my self thinking "ug... you poor guy" which of course, is why I don't take it personally when they do it to me. Of course, I have done bad Kenpo.... or two, or three.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The closer truth is that everyone's Kenpo is suited for what they are concerened about. Kenpo becomes bad when you either fail to recognize a real concern or the kenpo is identified by others whom see that lack of concern.
Sean

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For me, it boils down to whether or not you learned proper basics in the first place, and the responsibility for that lies with your instructor, initially at least.
To me "bad kenpo" ( as well as "bad kempo" and whatever else) involves more talking than doing, people rushing through technique sequences far too fast, and being unrealistic about what you're trying to do.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello...

On a side note...
Poor Kenpo is in the eyes of the beholder. No matter what is displayed it will garner many different responses. Depending on who is doing the critique, and why. This is good, and bad. :)

I have seen what I consider good Kenpo "discounted" by others. I have seen what I consider to be "not so good" Kenpo applauded by others as well.

I think that all opinions are valid. As long as they are from "an informed source" and not politically motivated.

I do not really care for lima beans... Does that make them bad???
Maybe... :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
True in a few ways, and at the end of the day, if it works effectively, that's a good thing. However, a neutral bow stance is a neutral bow stance. The same is true for all basics, and if they're done sloppily or without being sound from an anatomical perspective, in my book, that's "bad".

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello...

On a side note...
Poor Kenpo is in the eyes of the beholder. No matter what is displayed it will garner many different responses. Depending on who is doing the critique, and why. This is good, and bad. :)

I have seen what I consider good Kenpo "discounted" by others. I have seen what I consider to be "not so good" Kenpo applauded by others as well.

I think that all opinions are valid. As long as they are from "an informed source" and not politically motivated.

I do not really care for lima beans... Does that make them bad???
Maybe... :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

Very true. As the "beholder" I identify good or bad Kenpo from the point of view that "good Kenpo" excels at winning an altercation with someone who wants to do me grave harm in a setting where no rules apply. "Bad Kenpo" of course, does so less effectively, or not at all.

However, I stopped by a new Kung-fu / Chineese Kenpo school here in the area recently. I was so apauled by what was taught that I asked one of the lower ranking students "what made you sign up" expecting to hear a niave "I wanted to learn how to fight".... he said; "This system is 1500 years old and this school teaches it the same way it was taught back then. It is rich in history and origional culture, and I wanted to learn a really old, authentic chineese system."

Different beholder...different lense.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Tracy's Kenpo, mostly...
I have also studied Kosho-Ryu Kempo and American Kenpo extensively.

Thanks,
Milt G.

Mass

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do Nick Cerio's, Shoju-Kempo Ryu and KenJitsu Ryu.

gavarn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I study Koga Ha Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo under the tutalage of GGM Nimr Hassan in Phila. Pa...

bryansb

White Belt
Reaction score
studyed Tracey system for a year then switched to Kara Ho Kempo where I been training ever since