Kenpo and Kung Fu

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was a small boy the king of MA was Bruce Lee, I saw one or two movies of him and everything was Bruce Lee craze, I have to tell you Bruce was already death when I know him, that was back in mid 70's.

I have to say I don't like Kung Fu at all, however wing chun seems to me to have some good techs and the jeet kune do has his merits, I respecta ll kind of MA.

I have realice that the Kenpo I am learning (Kenpo Karate by Ed Parker) has a lot of chinese moves that I consider efective, am I right? The Kenpo that Parker invented had chinese infleunce?

There are certain kind of had techs in kenpo that really have some resemblance of Kung Fu, correct me if I am wrong.

Manny

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo is Kung Fu. When you consider that Kung Fu is just a way of saying you are really good at something in Chinese. Only the rest of the world understands kung fu to mean martial arts from China. The original way of saying Kenpo in Okinowan is Chuan Fa, meaning hands of China.
Sean

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I was a small boy the king of MA was Bruce Lee, I saw one or two movies of him and everything was Bruce Lee craze, I have to tell you Bruce was already death when I know him, that was back in mid 70's.

I have to say I don't like Kung Fu at all, however wing chun seems to me to have some good techs and the jeet kune do has his merits, I respecta ll kind of MA.

I have realice that the Kenpo I am learning (Kenpo Karate by Ed Parker) has a lot of chinese moves that I consider efective, am I right? The Kenpo that Parker invented had chinese infleunce?

There are certain kind of had techs in kenpo that really have some resemblance of Kung Fu, correct me if I am wrong.

Manny

But Kung Fu always speaks very highly of you :D

Kung Fu means hard work Wushu means Chinese martial arts in China. It was a translation error that got Kung Fu to mean martial arts here in the west

To say you do not like Kung Fu is saying you don't like one hell of a lot of CMA styles including Wing Chun. Kung Fu, as it is understood by the west, is a general term for Chinese martial arts.

So when you say you "don't like Kung Fu at all" you are saying you do not like any of these styles, to name a just few... and many have substyles

Bafaquan
Baguazhang
Bajiquan
Bak Mei
Black Tiger Kung Fu
Chaquan
Changquan
Chuo Jiao
Choy Gar
Choy Li Fut
Dachengquan
Ditangquan
Do Pi
Lung Ying
Duan Quan
Emeiquan
Fanziquan
Five Ancestors
Five Animals
Fujian White Crane
Fu Jow Pai
Fut Gar
Gouquan
Hakka Kuen
Hong Cha
Hop Gar
Houquan
Drunken Monkey
Heihuquan:
Huaquan
Hung Fut
Hung Gar
Jing Wu Men
Jing Quan Do
Jow-Ga
Kuntao
Lau Gar
Lai Tung Pai
Lama Pai
Leopard Kung Fu
Li Gar
Liuhebafa Chuan
Luohan Quan
Mei Hua Quan
Mian Quan
Mizongyi
Mok Gar
Nam Pai Chuan
Nan Quan
Ng Mui Pai
Northern Praying Mantis
Northern Shaolin
Pai Long
Paochui
Piguaquan
Praying Mantis(散打) - Free Fighting
Shaolin Quan
Shequan
Shuaijiao
Southern Praying Mantis
Chow Gar
Taijiquan
Tantui
Tibetan White Crane
Tien Shan Pai
Tongbeiquan
White Crane:
Wing Chun
Wudangquan
Xingyiquan
Yau Kung Mun
Yingzhaoquan
Yuejiaquan
Yiquan
Zi Ran Men

so by saying you don't like Kung Fu at all I am assuming yuo have actually seen all of these styles and or tried a few.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Kung Fu means hard work Wushu means Chinese martial arts in China. It was a translation error that got Kung Fu to mean martial arts here in the west

To say you do not like Kung Fu is saying you don't like one hell of a lot of CMA styles including Wing Chun. Kung Fu, as it is understood by the west, is a general term for Chinese martial arts.

So when you say you "don't like Kung Fu at all" you are saying you do not like any of these styles, to name a just few... and many have substyles

Bafaquan
Baguazhang
Bajiquan
Bak Mei
Black Tiger Kung Fu
Chaquan
Changquan
Chuo Jiao
Choy Gar
Choy Li Fut
Dachengquan
Ditangquan
Do Pi
Lung Ying
Duan Quan
Emeiquan
Fanziquan
Five Ancestors
Five Animals
Fujian White Crane
Fu Jow Pai
Fut Gar
Gouquan
Hakka Kuen
Hong Cha
Hop Gar
Houquan
Drunken Monkey
Heihuquan:
Huaquan
Hung Fut
Hung Gar
Jing Wu Men
Jing Quan Do
Jow-Ga
Kuntao
Lau Gar
Lai Tung Pai
Lama Pai
Leopard Kung Fu
Li Gar
Liuhebafa Chuan
Luohan Quan
Mei Hua Quan
Mian Quan
Mizongyi
Mok Gar
Nam Pai Chuan
Nan Quan
Ng Mui Pai
Northern Praying Mantis
Northern Shaolin
Pai Long
Paochui
Piguaquan
SAN SOO
Shaolin Quan
Shequan
Shuaijiao
Southern Praying Mantis
Chow Gar
Taijiquan
Tantui
Tibetan White Crane
Tien Shan Pai
Tongbeiquan
White Crane:
Wing Chun
Wudangquan
Xingyiquan
Yau Kung Mun
Yingzhaoquan
Yuejiaquan
Yiquan
Zi Ran Men

so by saying you don't like Kung Fu at all I am assuming yuo have actually seen all of these styles and or tried a few.

I thought I'd add one to your list. Not that I know anything about it.
icon12.gif

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's all right. I'm just sorry Manny don't like it.
icon10.gif

OK. That was justa comic exchange. Thank you for that, bothuayuz.

Manny: Mr. Parkers system is very influenced by kung-fu. Specifically, CLF, Mok ga, and some others. I would have to ask...if you don't like kung-fu, then why are you in kenpo?

Regards,

Dave

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Manny: Mr. Parkers system is very influenced by kung-fu. Specifically, CLF, Mok ga, and some others. I would have to ask...if you don't like kung-fu, then why are you in kenpo?

Regards,

Dave

Note: my first post with the list of styles was not a comic exchange it was pointing out that to not like Kung Fu at all was a massive generalization.

Although the posts after that were mostly comic in nature

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score

Regards,

Dave

LOL! i concur with you!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK. That was justa comic exchange. Dave

What do ya mean, funny? Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Sorry Dave, I just wanted to try out my favorite Joe Pesci quote.
icon10.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What do ya mean, funny? Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Sorry Dave, I just wanted to try out my favorite Joe Pesci quote.
icon10.gif

You know... I think he may have offended my family and offended the Shaolin Temple :D

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bafaquan
Baguazhang
Bajiquan
Bak Mei
Black Tiger Kung Fu
Chaquan
Changquan
Chuo Jiao
Choy Gar
Choy Li Fut
Dachengquan
Ditangquan
Do Pi
Lung Ying
Duan Quan
Emeiquan
Fanziquan
Five Ancestors
Five Animals
Fujian White Crane
Fu Jow Pai
Fut Gar
Gouquan
Hakka Kuen
Hong Cha
Hop Gar
Houquan
Drunken Monkey
Heihuquan:
Huaquan
Hung Fut
Hung Gar
Jing Wu Men
Jing Quan Do
Jow-Ga
Kuntao
Lau Gar
Lai Tung Pai
Lama Pai
Leopard Kung Fu
Li Gar
Liuhebafa Chuan
Luohan Quan
Mei Hua Quan
Mian Quan
Mizongyi
Mok Gar
Nam Pai Chuan
Nan Quan
Ng Mui Pai
Northern Praying Mantis
Northern Shaolin
Pai Long
Paochui
Piguaquan
Shaolin Quan
Shequan
Shuaijiao
Southern Praying Mantis
Chow Gar
Taijiquan
Tantui
Tibetan White Crane
Tien Shan Pai
Tongbeiquan
White Crane:
Wing Chun
Wudangquan
Xingyiquan
Yau Kung Mun
Yingzhaoquan
Yuejiaquan
Yiquan
Zi Ran Men

UPSSSS!!!! Sorry I knew Kung Fu was Kung Fu I mean certain MA from China. Sorry, so I do Kung Fu most of the time caiuse I like to do hard work jejejejeje.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Regards,

Dave

Nice question and I will try to answer, sorry if my english is not good about the explanation. The kung fu that Bruce Lee did certainly liked, but I dislike the majority of the Kunf Fu I've seen in movies where the kung fu stylists fly in the air while doing zillions of cicks or punches and send their oponent to the floor or wall, also I dislike some styles of kung fu like the drunken stuyle or the monkey style, also I dislike for example Caoperia, but that's only me.

Why I got involved in Kenpo Karate (Ed Parker) is very simple, because I tought Kenpo karate was Karate and it emphasis wa son hand techs, I did not know that Kenpo karate was very influenced by Whushu (now I know Kung Fu means hard work). For me Kenpo Karate has moves from whushu but very practical ones that are straight efective on street, I will never perform a double or triple mortal jump while doing kicks.

Sorry if I bother some of you guys when I said I dislike Kung Fu, but I do believe me, I don't hate it, but don't like it, thats why I never took Kung Fu classes. My main system of MA is Korean and I think kenpo is very nice to enhance what I already know.

For me, Kenpo karate is more than just wushu.

Manny

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The kung fu that Bruce Lee did certainly liked, but I dislike the majority of the Kunf Fu I've seen in movies where the kung fu stylists fly in the air while doing zillions of cicks or punches and send their oponent to the floor or wall, also I dislike some styles of kung fu like the drunken stuyle or the monkey style,

So basically you have no idea what Kung Fu is and are basing this on what you have seen on TV which is mostly fake and only for movies.

Might I suggest before you write of an entire cultures system of MA you actually go and see what it REALLY is and not base it on movies.

Saying you do not like Kung Fu based on Movies is much the same as saying I think rabbits are pretty cool because of what Bugs Bunny did on TV. Or saying all Americans are cowboys because that is what I see in the movies.

I can also then, based on the way you are judging kung fu, say that all TKD is useless and only good for sport with no real life applications since that is all I see. However I was old school TKD and I know better. You sir are way off and have no idea what Kung Fu is and have no experience in it as it is defined as a Chinese Martial Art but yet you dismiss it as no good because you saw it in a movie :rolleyes:

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Education is a process of providing correct information and often disspelling incorrect information. It is usually most successful when answers are patiently provided to inquisitive minds. It is seldom successful when it is done through belittling and attacking those who inquire.

Just a thought.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Education is a process of providing correct information and often disspelling incorrect information. It is usually most successful when answers are patiently provided to inquisitive minds. It is seldom successful when it is done through belittling and attacking those who inquire.

Just a thought.

If you had bothered to read the entire thread you would see I tried that here…. and it failed

But thanks for the thought just the same

Latest Discussions