What Is Your Plan When The **** Hits The Fan??????

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you know "whatever is necessary?"

How do you know you won't waste valuable time cleaning said $h@t off of your face, instead of doing "whatever is necessary?"

In school, didja have fire drills? Air raid drills?

That's because they had a plan.

A plan-a real one-is much better than, "I will do whatever is necessary," especially given that you might not really be in your right mind at the time....just sayin'
Hmm! Fire drills ... twice in sixty six years if I recall correctly. Air raid drill... never. And none of them were at school. I did weather a couple of bomb threats about forty years back but took them for the hoaxes they were.

So what exactly am I planning for? Some martial art systems have hundreds of responses for all different attacks. I disagree with that philosophy and believe that if you have been trained well you will instinctively respond to any attack in an appropriate way.

In Australia we don't have the access to firearms you do. If an unarmed intruder comes into my home and I used a firearm it would mean both of us being charged. The likelihood of an armed intruder here ... pretty unlikely. Someone comes in with any other weapon, cool, I can handle that. Our home has large windows. Anyone intent on entering can break one and get in no problem. If we are not home off goes the alarm and they have already have to contend with two big dogs. If they hang around they will be caught, if they take anything, it's insured.

We live in a free country with enormous privileges. In the U.S. you might call them rights. I will not allow anyone to frighten me into fortress mentality. I will take all sensible precautions to avoid becoming a victim but I refuse to give up the lifestyle I enjoy because there is a one in ten thousand chance, or less, that sometime in the next twenty years someone is going to attack me or break into my house.

It is the same with terrorists. They get enormous press coverage and people get frightened and demand protection. The problem is, you can't protect every eventuality and in trying to do so you simply lose more of your rights and freedom.

My wife and I have explored many remote areas of Australia by four wheel drive. We usually travel alone and avoid camping grounds where possible. We sleep in the open in a swag. Never have we felt threatened or unsafe.

If I was concerned I'd be much more worried about heart attack, stroke or cancer than being robbed or attacked. I would be much more concerned about being injured in a car accident. In fact statistically it is probably a thousand times more likely I will hurt myself falling off a ladder.

So I am comfortable in saying I will cross my bridges when I come to them. I will not be worrying about 'what ifs'.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm! Fire drills ... twice in sixty six years if I recall correctly. Air raid drill... never. And none of them were at school. I did weather a couple of bomb threats about forty years back but took them for the hoaxes they were.

I'm younger than you, but I grew up in the age of "duck and cover." We had at least one air raid drill per year in school, and three fire drills. In my current position, I lead one plant-wide evacuation drill per month-we actually complete four per month.

It seems we might really have found a difference in national mentality.

In Australia we don't have the access to firearms you do. If an unarmed intruder comes into my home and I used a firearm it would mean both of us being charged. The likelihood of an armed intruder here ... pretty unlikely. Someone comes in with any other weapon, cool, I can handle that. Our home has large windows. Anyone intent on entering can break one and get in no problem. If we are not home off goes the alarm and they have already have to contend with two big dogs. If they hang around they will be caught, if they take anything, it's insured.

Frankly, if someone breaks into my home, and I'm at home with my loved ones, I don't care if they're armed or not-I'm going to shoot them. I really might not even give them the opportunity to flee at that point: I'm going to assume that they're armed, or crazy, or both-I'm going to assume the worst of intent.

That's part of our plan.

So I am comfortable in saying I will cross my bridges when I come to them. I will not be worrying about 'what ifs'.

Professionally, I've spent most of my life worrying about "what ifs." You should be thankful, I think......

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I'm younger than you, but I grew up in the age of "duck and cover."

Professionally, I've spent most of my life worrying about "what ifs." You should be thankful, I think......

So, some insights into Jeff Cuffee's psyche, and an explanation of what I meant.

In 1968, I'd watched the Vietnam war on television. I'd seen a President assassinated, and my parent's friend, Martin Luther King assassinated. I'd lived through the Cuban missile crisis. I'd been in Civil Defense bomb shelters-knew where they all were, had even, on occasion, done inventory on the food and water supplies there, and checked the batteries on geiger counters, as part of my Cub Scout activities....being a scientifically precocious child, I'd even made my third grade teacher cry: Mrs. Bartholomew was pregnant, and we had a "duck and cover" drill, in which we all went out into the hallway, ducked and covered and against the wall-I had to pick up my head and look at a hallway full of kids with their heads against the wall, and asses up in the air! Mrs. Bartholomew told me to put my head down, and I had to ask, "What difference does it make? We're all going to be incinerated at 10 million degrees, anyway..." Mrs. B. burst into tears......such was the nonsense I grew up with, and part of why I wound up doing the work I did for so long, I think....nonsense like this:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm younger than you, but I grew up in the age of "duck and cover." We had at least one air raid drill per year in school, and three fire drills. In my current position, I lead one plant-wide evacuation drill per month-we actually complete four per month.

It seems we might really have found a difference in national mentality.
I grew up in a country town and remember seeing newsreels of the Korean War and the human wave tactics of the Chinese. That was scary but a long way away. About 10 years later we had the Cuban missile crisis. That was really scary and to be honest, we reckoned it was all about to turn to mush. I remember drawing circles in my Atlas that showed the range of the Russian rockets. Even so, it was you guys that would have been targeted. In reality we probably wouldn't have even had fallout, but we didn't know that back in '62, so even then we didn't have those sorts of drills.

Frankly, if someone breaks into my home, and I'm at home with my loved ones, I don't care if they're armed or not-I'm going to shoot them. I really might not even give them the opportunity to flee at that point: I'm going to assume that they're armed, or crazy, or both-I'm going to assume the worst of intent.

That's part of our plan.
Different culture totally.

I am very thankful. I have no illusions as to that. I was in the draft ballot for Vietnam and at that time quite prepared to go. My number didn't come up.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thought I would direct you to my latest blog post. Hopefully it will generate some critical thought on self-defense and personal protection in your life. That and some discussion.....

The Instinctive Edge

Note: due to the word **** in the link it will not directly link to that blog post. So because I continually blog just go the page and either scroll down or search for it on my blog utillizing the search function! Thanks
This is an extreme situation you depict Brian.. it begs the question is it worth it as investment in time and training in a plan that you might only use once in your life and maybe never use at all? I guess it depends on how much you value your self and family or how much you are happy to play statistics.

Me I like to be friendly to any one and I know I can be friendly to any one if I know how to put them away if they turn out not to be so nice :)

I can feel safer where I am staying by taking plenty of steps beforehand.. I keep a purse with some cash notes lying obvious near the apartment door so if someone has come past this then I figure they are after something I am less happy to give away.. I do "feng shui" wherever I live so I can tip up the wardrobe / closet across the door if needs be and - after surviving an attempt at arson some years before - I always establish now where I am living how I access the potential exits from the room, from the building.. For me Brian it is escape not fight with people you describe.. I do not know how well I would fare in that instance so I take every other advantage beforehand and plan so it does not come to this.. I do not know if that veers from what you had thought?

As for weapons.. I think it is different in the US from elsewhere, yes?? and but um.. would ample natural charm count??? :D

Extreme situation this portrayal surely is and I think planning for similar is only wise and prudent.. we train for worse than we ever hope to meet so yes.. good post Brian :) Jxx

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought I would direct you to my latest blog post. Hopefully it will generate some critical thought on self-defense and personal protection in your life. That and some discussion.....

The Instinctive Edge

Note: due to the word **** in the link it will not directly link to that blog post. So because I continually blog just go the page and either scroll down or search for it on my blog utillizing the search function! Thanks

I read that article on FB, as well as on your blog. Good for the home owners. It's definitely a very good idea to take precautions, not only when you're out, but also inside your home. IMHO, your home is your home. Anyone who breaks into your home, gets whatever you dish out to them. I don't believe in having to retreat when you're in your own home. Think about it...where are you going to retreat to, when you're on the 2nd fl? Into a locked room? Jump out the window? Sorry, but most interior doors are not so sturdy that they can't be kicked in, and I'm not going to jump out a window either. But that's just me. To each their own. If someone wants to lock themselves in a bathroom, while the bad guys clean out your home, have at it. :)

The home invasion that happened in Cheshire, CT, resulted in 3 of the 4 family members being killed, the 4th badly beaten, and the home set on fire.
Having a plan is a very good idea. It's also not a bad idea to, as we saw by the article, have a weapon or 2 handy. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously. I don't know about about other countries but here if someone has gone to the effort of kicking in your door and doing a home invasion. You generally have deserved it. It means you are selling drugs. Are invoked in gangs or slept with someone's girlfriend.

But if you are really concerned. One thing nobody mentioned in all the guns and dogs and other ninja stuff.

Buy a lock.

In most cases, yes, that's usually the case. However:
Cheshire Connecticut home invasion murders - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

These people were not drug dealers. Just an innocent family, victimized by 2 thugs, with past criminal history.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really have the stuff or the lifestyle to warrant getting home invaded.

And the bad guy knows this how? I don't know where you live, but nowadays, people will steal just about anything they can get their hands on, for some quick cash, usually to buy drugs.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
years back my place was broken into and a few things stolen. Luckily we where not home at the time.
The thieves did try to load a 308 round into a 7MM rifle we had in the house shame it jammed going in I would have like to see what they looked like if they had fired it.
Now any firearm is well hidden but quickly accessible. I admit to having to many bladed weapons within reach and not hidden but that is for our safety as we know how to handle them and a good idea how to defend against them and no 2nd thoughts about using them as has been proven in the past.

In event of a big disaster or civil war, etc. we have plans but all plans have a 2nd contingency if number one dose not or can not work. Basically it is head for the woods and live off the land as long as possible being careful whom we meet up with.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am glad others took the time to google and post a link to the home invasion I was referring too. I have posted on it before and I hate to keep using it as reference but while it may be extreme there are many text book facets to it.
Home invasion is by definition when you are home. Because in the past most burglary happened when the occupants where not home, here in the US we still do not keep stats on common burglary VS home invasion. It is believed however that home invasion is a growing trend. One reason that has been brought up is the rise in camera systems in public facilities like liquor stores and gas stations. The second possible reason is that the return on the crime is greater when there is a home owner to show where valuables are. There is also the common added crime of kidnapping and bringing the victim to an ATM.
In 1979 A. Nicholas Groth did ground breaking studies on rape perpetrators. He found even back then that many criminals prefer the seclusion of the home to commit their crimes. One criminal commented..."it just four walls and me".

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the new common tactics used by criminals is to just walk up and knock on your door. When you answer the door they will engage you with some kind of talk like..."I'm looking for my friend Johns house, what number house is this? All the while making judgments about your susceptibility and if you make a good target if not they walk away, other wise they will storm in with incredible violence and surprise in order to gain the upper hand and controll.
While this may seem brazen it is by far safer for them then entering an unknown situation.

BMhadoken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am glad others took the time to google and post a link to the home invasion I was referring too. I have posted on it before and I hate to keep using it as reference but while it may be extreme there are many text book facets to it.
Home invasion is by definition when you are home. Because in the past most burglary happened when the occupants where not home, here in the US we still do not keep stats on common burglary VS home invasion. It is believed however that home invasion is a growing trend. One reason that has been brought up is the rise in camera systems in public facilities like liquor stores and gas stations. The second possible reason is that the return on the crime is greater when there is a home owner to show where valuables are. There is also the common added crime of kidnapping and bringing the victim to an ATM.
In 1979 A. Nicholas Groth did ground breaking studies on rape perpetrators. He found even back then that many criminals prefer the seclusion of the home to commit their crimes. One criminal commented..."it just four walls and me".
If your goal is strictly snatch-and-grab, then at least among the more unsavory types I used to know, the go-to strategy is B&E during the day when everyone's gone. You're not worrying about cameras either way, but anything you have to do involving the owner of the home you're not supposed to be in just cranks the legal consequences up to 11 if you get caught. If they broke into a home after nightfall when people are very likely to be home, it's because they were hunting. If there was someone home during a daylight snatch-n-grab, they got the hell out.

Mad_Dog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, when the **** hits the fan I can't see the forest for the trees. The adrenaline hits me and the blood's pumping, I live for that, I start swinging and hit anything that moves, friend or foe.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, when the **** hits the fan I can't see the forest for the trees. The adrenaline hits me and the blood's pumping, I live for that, I start swinging and hit anything that moves, friend or foe.

So are you posting from prison? Because if even half of the stuff you claim is true (and frankly, I doubt that even that much is...), that's where you belong.

Latest Discussions