KRAV MAGA TRAINING • That's why the Street is different from your Dojo

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Something I tried to point out earlier without a great deal of success! :banghead:

I always thought there was a good reason for not staying on the ground. :wacky:

From Systema there is a little drill that we do when getting up from the ground where you virtually come up in a spiral in such a way that you can check your surroundings. It also helps to reduce tunnel vision as you are being forced to look around.

If you have a couple of minutes you can see it at 2:57 in the following video.

I teach it to the Krav guys and yell at them if they get off the ground without looking about. I don't have to yell often. :smuggrin:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am pretty sure regardless of the drill if i snuck up behind someone and attacked them they are going to have issues defending themselves.

now that people know what a dog pile is. It is also a game we play. And it does not leave the victim with much of a chance.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brilliant OP. @2:09, would the chain punch be feasible? IE I mean in terms of the static position and body balance. If you see what I mean.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently wearing big baggy hooded sweat shirts it's to smart either that guy went flying

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
See, this is why the Gracie family doesn't believe in birth control. That way, if you have someone down on the ground and someone comes running up to kick your head in, then you've got your brothers on hand to take that guy down. (I'm only half joking.)

More seriously, this is why I'm a big advocate of knee mount if you have to take someone down in a fight. It's much easier to keep an eye on the surroundings and disengage if necessary from top of knee mount than from any other ground position.

I am pretty sure regardless of the drill if i snuck up behind someone and attacked them they are going to have issues defending themselves.

Yeah, that's why it's so important to develop peripheral awareness and avoid the tunnel vision which is so natural when getting into a fight. It's not really an issue of style as it is a matter of psychology, self-control, and tactical understanding.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely Tony, Knee on stomach is a great position for a street confrontation because you can be mobile very fast instead of the mount or crossbody where your mobility is significantly reduced.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

now that people know what a dog pile is. It is also a game we play. And it does not leave the victim with much of a chance.
It's nothing to do with sneaking up. If you look at the CCTV examples, the assailants are running up. It is the speed of the attack and a lack of awareness of a potential attack that makes it effective. Tunnel vision is part of that but intentionally putting yourself in a position where it can happen doesn't make sense to me.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's nothing to do with sneaking up. If you look at the CCTV examples, the assailants are running up. It is the speed of the attack and a lack of awareness of a potential attack that makes it effective. Tunnel vision is part of that but intentionally putting yourself in a position where it can happen doesn't make sense to me.
Ive been attacked from behind a few times and truth be told they were all my fault. I got to focused on the task and not what was going on around me. The worst was a drunk guy tried to run me over with a car. I got out of the way and he crashed into a car. I was trying to drag him out of the car before he backed up and tried again. When I got him out on the ground to cuff him his 2 cousins came up behind me one got me in a choke hold from behind the other was grabbing my arm. In the end I won mainly because I was bigger stronger better trained and not drunk

D

Deleted member 32980

This is what the Israeli special forces used. As part of Thier anti-terrorist groups.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what the Israeli special forces used. As part of Thier anti-terrorist groups.

It is Israeli, the name itself is Hebrew. It's not just for spec forces. Many non Israelis use it to make loads of money teaching it all around the world. There is also a fair bit of bickering over who has the best 'lineage'.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
See, this is why the Gracie family doesn't believe in birth control. That way, if you have someone down on the ground and someone comes running up to kick your head in, then you've got your brothers on hand to take that guy down. (I'm only half joking.)

More seriously, this is why I'm a big advocate of knee mount if you have to take someone down in a fight. It's much easier to keep an eye on the surroundings and disengage if necessary from top of knee mount than from any other ground position.

Yeah, that's why it's so important to develop peripheral awareness and avoid the tunnel vision which is so natural when getting into a fight. It's not really an issue of style as it is a matter of psychology, self-control, and tactical understanding.

Speaking of the Gracies, I remember reading an interview with Rickson Gracie and he talked about GJJ and self-defense. He said GJJ/BJJ was great in Brazil because everyone just circles around and watches. BUT, in America, he said he wouldn't go to the ground, he would rely on his striking and try to get out of there because spectators do get involved. He also mentioned carrying a gun.

As to the video. Good stuff, but should be "common sense" for people training in a martial art. I did find it funny when they did the part about "not knowing who is involved" or whatever they called it, yet all of the people involved were wearing their gang colors and you could tell who was who. Awareness and training will help you notice that type of thing.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is Israeli, the name itself is Hebrew. It's not just for spec forces. Many non Israelis use it to make loads of money teaching it all around the world. There is also a fair bit of bickering over who has the best 'lineage'.

I have been told in the past that the IDF version is not taught outside the military. That right? I.E. any different.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

the peripheral thing is legitimately hard. Like the advice i give to boxers "punch them and don't let them punch you"

it is true but doesn't help much.

there is a reason for that tunnel vision. The actions of the guy directly in front of you who is trying to hurt tend to be important.

i know personally it is harder to pick out an ambush than it seems.

we solve the peripheral issue with numbers.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

which is a risk as soon as you fight people at all.

pro tip for you. On your own It is not awareness it is mobility. If you become stationary. Standing or the ground. That is where the risk increases. If your third party attacker has to cover ground to get at you. It is a lot harder to to create the circumstances for a good ambush.

as a group it is the opposite. You all go running off on your own you get picked off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Am i the only person who spars 10 to a room and so has to constantly watch out for other people?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely Tony, Knee on stomach is a great position for a street confrontation because you can be mobile very fast instead of the mount or crossbody where your mobility is significantly reduced.

yeah vote in for knee on belly. And of course can be transitioned into from most top control.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been told in the past that the IDF version is not taught outside the military. That right? I.E. any different.

our judo guy is Israeli. Probably did time in the military. (i think they have to.)

i will ask him.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
which is a risk as soon as you fight people at all.

pro tip for you. On your own It is not awareness it is mobility. If you become stationary. Standing or the ground. That is where the risk increases. If your third party attacker has to cover ground to get at you. It is a lot harder to to create the circumstances for a good ambush.

as a group it is the opposite. You all go running off on your own you get picked off.
Thanks for the advice. I must remember to add it to what I teach. I wonder why I had never thought of it myself. ;)

Oh! A pro tip back ... awareness is crucial, probably number one for self defence.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I must remember to add it to what I teach. I wonder why I had never thought of it myself. ;)

Oh! A pro tip back ... awareness is crucial, probably number one for self defence.
a few reasons.

generally because you are fighting for space in a gym and cant go out and scrap properly.

because there is this idea that all street fighting is in fighting.

because it is technically high risk. With all the running around.

how does that awareness work for you when you fight people? I cant pull it off in real fights all that well. To much going on.

instead i position to where is is less of a risk.