The role of the media in 2010 and beyond: White v. Cagewriter

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-31-2009 08:55 PM:

As we head to a new decade, everything has changed with the way sports are covered by the media. Fans get more of their information from the internet than newspapers. The rules and standards the media follow have changed. Leagues, organizations and their spokespeople are beginning to bristle at more open, aggressive and opinionated reporting. Some are trying to take more control of the coverage with their own websites or by using social networking tools like Twitter. UFC president Dana White is that forefront of firing back at critics and dealing his customers on a more direct basis. He often goes on the attack. He did the other day concerning an internet piece and another story in the L.A. Times concenring the future of MMA. During a recent vlog rant (1:02 mark), White stated:

"What the [expletive] has this guy ever done to move the sport of MMA forward?"

"So instead of promoting the fight this weekend," said White. "This guy is [expletive] arguing with me about how big MMA is going to be in the next 10 years? Are these [expletive] into mixed martial arts?"

Cagewriter tracked down White to see if he could further explain how he thinks the media should cover their particular beat. The best quotes included:

"It's all about the negative because negative sells. Because no one wants to hear the positive [expletive]."

"If you're not here to build [MMA], then get the [expletive] out of the way. Get out of my way. Get out of my way."

"I believe the media is not out to try and build the sport."

All interesting statements that actually don't differ much from many sports media relations people, owners and leagues around the country. Sports/organizations/leagues and media outlets have different objectives. The former is often going to miss that point and only harp on critical stories while glossing over what is mostly positive coverage.

White's thoughts were eerily similar to what boxing promoter Bob Arum has said many times on my radio show about the media. Both Top Rank Promotion and Golden Boy turn away coverage because of petty beefs. It's probably not the best approach when a sport is trying to revitalize itself. What happened to any promotion, is good promotion?

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions