KRAV MAGA TRAINING • That's why the Street is different from your Dojo

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
then your not doing it right

I have no idea what or how he trains. I know how I train officers

Yep and if you don't get "tunnel Vision" learn not to panic and move you body and your head I can increase that range pretty far. If I stare at you I get 100 degrees. then if I look left I can still see you in my right side peripheral and my left is now 100 degrees farther so I still see you and that much farther. Look off to the right and same thing. before you know it you can cover a large amount of ground. Then add that to the eye naturally looks for movement it makes it even easier as long as you stay calm

Actually in the 4-5 min I was waiting for help I probably hit over 20 different people So I don't know an actual number. We have a bar area that on weekends its nothing to have several1000s of people in the summer. Huge fight in a parking lot I work my way to the middle and see people stomping a man to death and a gun laying on the ground next to him.. He's laying next to a car so I kicked the gun under the car then I put myself between him and the crowd and used the car to protect my back. I emptied a can of pepper spray then started swinging my baton at anyone that wouldn't get back. There was several people that attempted to attack me and him. Apparently he punched his girlfriend in front of a large group of minority guys who took offense when they tried to get him to stop he called them a bunch of racial slurs which made them even more pissed. then he started to pull a gun from his pocket which made them even more mad. Had I just concentrated on one guy at a time Id have had my head knocked in like him. You keep your head on a swivel learn not to fixate on one thing.

The first lesson I teach and the one every police recruit falls for is the domestic violence scenario. You send them in and say the male beat up the female. Have the roll players argue and the recruit ALWAYS gets in the middle it never fails. Then when he arrests the male he always turns his back to the female and that's when she attacks him. After we teach them better tactics and train them that nothing is ever as it seems and never fixate on anything for too long they do much better.
Ask anyone that has ever been robbed with a weapon most victims fixate on the weapon and can describe it pretty well but never look at the suspects face they get tunnel vision.

didn't you say this?

"You don't need to "look around" that's the point of peripheral vision."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean seriously balen i have done a heap of posts saying you have to be in a position to apply situational awareness. We go round in circles and you come up with this idea about positioning.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....The first lesson I teach and the one every police recruit falls for is the domestic violence scenario. You send them in and say the male beat up the female. Have the roll players argue and the recruit ALWAYS gets in the middle it never fails. Then when he arrests the male he always turns his back to the female and that's when she attacks him. After we teach them better tactics and train them that nothing is ever as it seems and never fixate on anything for too long they do much better.........

Absolutely, I've seen this happen. A military policeman went to arrest a soldier in this situation and because he can only arrest him not a civilian he ignored the wife who then attacked him.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awareness isn't a real thing. Unless it is backed up with proven tactics.

so if you are caught in the middle of a fight. All the peripheral in the world wont save you. You are better off recognizing that. And moving to a better position.

eg. Breaking up a fight. You don't stand between people trying to push them apart.

this was on the first or second page.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am not saying they don't. But in the vein of multiple attackers. That is generally us. We are the ones who use those tactics. But there is also a set of counter tactics that spoil what we do.

those are the ones that you would employment against multiples.

So basically you are looking for a fight. The drill is twitch when someone looks tasty. Yeah seen it before!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean seriously balen i have done a heap of posts saying you have to be in a position to apply situational awareness. We go round in circles and you come up with this idea about positioning.
if all you took from that is positioning well good luck too you because you missed the boat

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
didn't you say this?

"You don't need to "look around" that's the point of peripheral vision."
Yep I'm not "looking around" I never take my eyes off my target I see him the entire time. I'm moving my body or changing my focus. Your claiming you cant keep an eye on the target and see around you. Im saying you do it every day. When you drive you look at the speedometer to see how fast you going or the mirrors you can still see the road at the same time. Perhaps I didn't understand what you meant to me when you said you cant "look around" I took you as saying your turning away from you attack to look in another direction taking all sight off your attacker. So I'm not removing visual sight of him (looking around) Im just changing my focus.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely, I've seen this happen. A military policeman went to arrest a soldier in this situation and because he can only arrest him not a civilian he ignored the wife who then attacked him.
Yeah Ive seen it happen a few times

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So basically you are looking for a fight. The drill is twitch when someone looks tasty. Yeah seen it before!

no i am looking at a fight. And everything that is hard for a bouncer is good for a person doing self defence.

if this was a bouncing thread my response would be different.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep I'm not "looking around" I never take my eyes off my target I see him the entire time. I'm moving my body or changing my focus. Your claiming you cant keep an eye on the target and see around you. Im saying you do it every day. When you drive you look at the speedometer to see how fast you going or the mirrors you can still see the road at the same time. Perhaps I didn't understand what you meant to me when you said you cant "look around" I took you as saying your turning away from you attack to look in another direction taking all sight off your attacker. So I'm not removing visual sight of him (looking around) Im just changing my focus.

a car has mirrors to help with your situational awareness.

without those mirrors you still have this blind spot that you are not taking in to account.

and this is without the idea that being punched in the face can be distracting

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

without those mirrors you still have this blind spot that you are not taking in to account.

LIke I said I teach it, I do it, and I know lots of others that can do it. Feel free to come by Ill teach you its not as hard as you are trying to say it is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However, you are not unaware of the blind spots . You don't ignore them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
However, you are not unaware of the blind spots . You don't ignore them.

you account for them.

you acknowledge your situational awareness is not a cure all. That even if you have trained in it. There are going to be limitations.

especially with situational awareness. Because if you don't see it you may not know you missed it.

i apply it all the time and i miss stuff all the time. I accept i miss stuff. And plan accordingly

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LIke I said I teach it, I do it, and I know lots of others that can do it. Feel free to come by Ill teach you its not as hard as you are trying to say it is.

i am probably more of a target than you though. Less ramifications for targeting a bouncer.

at least in Australia. Almost nobody goes up against cops here.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i am probably more of a target than you though. Less ramifications for targeting a bouncer.

and saying that. It is a lot better now with the new laws than it was.

20 years ago when i started. It was under certain circumstances the wild west.

people would go out and target bouncers to raise their manliness factor. And a lot of those issues got swept under the rug.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

LOl not here. Ive been shot at, kicked, punched, hit with bottles, chairs,even a car, spit on, choked, pushed, tackled had a TV thrown off a 4th floor at me, cans of soup,batteries thrown etc etc etc. AND my personal fav I once had a turkey thrown at me during a domestic at thanksgiving

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOl not here. Ive been shot at, kicked, punched, hit with bottles, chairs,even a car, spit on, choked, pushed, tackled had a TV thrown off a 4th floor at me, cans of soup,batteries thrown etc etc etc. AND my personal fav I once had a turkey thrown at me during a domestic at thanksgiving

i haven't been shot at. Had a few gun wavings though.

what is your opinion on circle of death training?

i will post a video.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All that and fridges thrown off balconies, Molotov cocktails, paving stones and kerbs, stones. never a turkey though, did you catch it and take it as evidence? :cool:

Latest Discussions