The Body's Natural Weapons

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bear with me for a minute. I have to begin by stating the obvious so I have some context.

Obviously, tigers have claws and snakes have fangs and venom. Humans have....well, we have what we have. You know what we have :p
But the thing about it that I found odd is that, compared to other animals, we have a lot of weapons, and we can use them in many ways. We have hands, arms, shins, feet, knees, and debate-ably more. And we can use these weapons in as many ways as we can think of. Particularly unique is the ability to make the tools of any other animal our own. Fur, claws, poison, camouflage, speed, etc. Plenty of people think the human hand evolved to be the way the precise way it is specifically to better use tools and weapons.

However, we don't seem to have a natural formula for any of it. We don't hide, chase and pounce like a tiger. We don't have a specific method that we always use, and usually works. There are many theories about the best tools to use and the best ways to use them. This is a context thing too, since different places had different challenges.

Here comes the discussion question. We can use plenty of things fight with against each other. But out of all our tools, what do you think we be our primary, natural weapon? Excluding weapons, what part(s) of the body would be the main ones used to defend yourself against both other people and animals? Or do we have one at all?

To me, is the legs. Knees, shins, and feet. Against animals, it's probably closer to the target than the hands. Plus, these parts are way more resilient to damage than the other parts of the body, almost no matter what you make impact with. Plus, in a survival scenario, the legs are going to be incredibly strong. I can't find the same link, but I once read an article about how much stronger ancient people's legs were because they needed to move all the time and carry a lot more. Farmers, nomads, hunter gatherers, and armies of any sort led lives that put a lot more stress on their legs.

Ancient humans were better travellers than us - daily.bhaskar.com

Sure, your whole body would have been a lot stronger to, but the legs more so than any other part. Even with a weapon in your hand, you would still need to chase down your target.

So, would it be wrong to say that leg strength is the most important strength you can have? Your legs create the strongest leverage you have. Since your always using your legs when you're doing things, you can hit the hardest, from the farthest away, with the least chance of hurting yourself, and give you the option to run OR fight.

But the needs of people are different now. Obviously, leg strength isn't the end all to fighting.
Why I am I giving this so much thought? The I have a hypothesis that having a fighting method that's closer the we evolved to fight will be more easily applicable to more situations, both mentally and physically. I'm trying to look at peoples' reflexive responses to danger, particularly amongst people that haven't been trained to have a specific response.

Do you think we have a primary natural weapon? Or instinctive fighting mechanics of any sort, or is it purely a learned skill? Do you think certain muscles are more important than others for fighting?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bear with me for a minute. I have to begin by stating the obvious so I have some context.

Obviously, tigers have claws and snakes have fangs and venom. Humans have....well, we have what we have. You know what we have :p
But the thing about it that I found odd is that, compared to other animals, we have a lot of weapons, and we can use them in many ways. We have hands, arms, shins, feet, knees, and debate-ably more. And we can use these weapons in as many ways as we can think of. Particularly unique is the ability to make the tools of any other animal our own. Fur, claws, poison, camouflage, speed, etc. Plenty of people think the human hand evolved to be the way the precise way it is specifically to better use tools and weapons.

However, we don't seem to have a natural formula for any of it. We don't hide, chase and pounce like a tiger. We don't have a specific method that we always use, and usually works. There are many theories about the best tools to use and the best ways to use them. This is a context thing too, since different places had different challenges.

Here comes the discussion question. We can use plenty of things fight with against each other. But out of all our tools, what do you think we be our primary, natural weapon? Excluding weapons, what part(s) of the body would be the main ones used to defend yourself against both other people and animals? Or do we have one at all?

To me, is the legs. Knees, shins, and feet. Against animals, it's probably closer to the target than the hands. Plus, these parts are way more resilient to damage than the other parts of the body, almost no matter what you make impact with. Plus, in a survival scenario, the legs are going to be incredibly strong. I can't find the same link, but I once read an article about how much stronger ancient people's legs were because they needed to move all the time and carry a lot more. Farmers, nomads, hunter gatherers, and armies of any sort led lives that put a lot more stress on their legs.

Ancient humans were better travellers than us - daily.bhaskar.com

Sure, your whole body would have been a lot stronger to, but the legs more so than any other part. Even with a weapon in your hand, you would still need to chase down your target.

So, would it be wrong to say that leg strength is the most important strength you can have? Your legs create the strongest leverage you have. Since your always using your legs when you're doing things, you can hit the hardest, from the farthest away, with the least chance of hurting yourself, and give you the option to run OR fight.

But the needs of people are different now. Obviously, leg strength isn't the end all to fighting.
Why I am I giving this so much thought? The I have a hypothesis that having a fighting method that's closer the we evolved to fight will be more easily applicable to more situations, both mentally and physically. I'm trying to look at peoples' reflexive responses to danger, particularly amongst people that haven't been trained to have a specific response.

Do you think we have a primary natural weapon? Or instinctive fighting mechanics of any sort, or is it purely a learned skill? Do you think certain muscles are more important than others for fighting?

Yes. survival. Genetics. Muscles are muscles!

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"leg strength" doesn't mean jack-**** without heart strength.......just sayin'
(P.S.-"just sayin'" often roughly translates as, "are you stupid?" )

Heart....strength? Do you mean cardio? I don't think I'm picking up what you're putting down.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
This may not be in the direction your thinking of but from an evolutionary perspective mankind's greatest weapon is his ability to talk. With the ability to talk we can pass detailed information from person to person, from generation to generation. We can cooperate. We can plan. From planing comes tactics and strategies. The ability to talk allows us to say "hey the tiger is over there. I'll go this way. You hit him on the head with the stick."

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This may not be in the direction your thinking of but from an evolutionary perspective mankind's greatest weapon is his ability to talk. With the ability to talk we can pass detailed information from person to person, from generation to generation. We can cooperate. We can plan. From planing comes tactics and strategies. The ability to talk allows us to say "hey the tiger is over there. I'll go this way. You hit him on the head with the stick."

Agreed. Our advanced social skills and ability to work in a unit, plan, and adapt is our greatest advantage. But that's a different thing entirely.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The ability of vocal transmissions, does override the basic belief of survival, this is fundamental! We do not need vocals my nephew could show the way! Sorry but that reply is narrow minded.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ability of vocal transmissions, does override the basic belief of survival, this is fundamental! We do not need vocals my nephew could show the way! Sorry but that reply is narrow minded.
I dont understand what your saying about your nephew. But if you think we don't need vocals I think you should talk to some evolutionary scientists. We would not even exist today without it. Do you realize that our level of speech is the one factor that no other species on the planet has (dolphins are close).

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont understand what your saying about your nephew. But if you think we don't need vocals I think you should talk to some evolutionary scientists. We would not even exist today without it. Do you realize that our level of speech is the one factor that no other species on the planet has (dolphins are close).

My nephew was born deaf. I really doubt that you could even feel that.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From an evolutionary perspective, mankind's greatest weapon has been his ability to run (or, more properly, "jog.") -all other things proceeded from and support this, including vocalization-especially vocalization.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok I see where you are coming from. Let me back up a bit then and be more accurate. I didn't think my casual comment was going to be disected and scrutinized. Speech is the most complex form of language. Language started as gestures and developed from there. I am not going to go off topic here to entertain your insult that my comment was small minded.
So language with speech as its most complex expression is what sets the human race apart from the animals. If you don't agree that's fine but please don't insult me.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps some examples :)

Our ability to work in a group and communicate and plan is indeed a serious advantage, but it's a different sort of advantage. I'm would like to know if anyone has an opinion about the body's natural weapons. Specifically, the weapons we use to protect our individual bodies and hit other people's bodies.

Examples
---------------------
You could argue that the forearms are the most important because they are a power bottleneck for using tools and weapons. You could argue that the shoulders, traps and deltoids are the most important muscles because they give the most force for most of your normal arm movement. You could argue it's the abs because you use them for everything.

Do people have an instinctive defense mechanism? Do we have a specific stance or method of attack that untrained people will default to if provoked with danger? How do people put up their hands when they are surprised? Do you think we have a natural defense mechanism of any kind?

Is their a part of our body that is used to hurt things that you feel is more important than others? The fist? Knuckle or palm? Or is it our ability to apply leverage in a way that breaks things with arm bars and such? Could are nails and teeth be important for self defense? Could they ever have been? Or are we only meant to use weapons and our hand to hand ability just HAPPENS to be handy for fighting other people because everyone else has the same crappy equipment?

I don't want everyone to answer every one of those questions. I'm just looking for people's personal insights on what parts of the body are the most important for fighting people and animals, as well as survival.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From an evolutionary perspective, mankind's greatest weapon has been his ability to run (or, more properly, "jog.") -all other things proceeded from and support this, including vocalization-especially vocalization.

Are you saying that our ability to run and jog is supported by our ability to talk? Can you explain that?

We could chase other species into exhaustion. I've heard it estimated by (some scientific show? Can't remember :p) that ancient humans could outrun horses, antelope, rabbits, pretty much everything.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you saying that our ability to run and jog is supported by our ability to talk? Can you explain that?

We could chase other species into exhaustion. I've heard it estimated by (some scientific show? Can't remember :p) that ancient humans could outrun horses, antelope, rabbits, pretty much everything.

I dont think we could ever out run other species like you state. Scientists have computer programs that can calculate running speeds based on bone structure. The human body just doesn't have the proper structure to do that.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think we could ever out run other species like you state. Scientists have computer programs that can calculate running speeds based on bone structure. The human body just doesn't have the proper structure to do that.
The theory (which I don't know has ever been fully validated) is that early hunters may have specialized in distance running to wear down prey. Most animals can outrun us in the short sprint, but not many of them can run marathons.